Are you sure there are no stupid questions?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Are you sure there are no stupid questions?

Postby Mary K » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Okay so I might have one.

I have only camped 3 times in my life, one was primitive, and twice in Brevard N.C. @ Pisgah National Forest (Which was beautiful, I highly recommend it). This was in a tent of course, so I no nothing about RV camping.

Anywho, my questions are...ahem, do you park you little Teardrop in an RV site or a tent site? Do tent sites have the 120 15 amp power?

I have tried searching this forum, and the web, but with no luck.

Thank ya,
Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Dewayne_Mellen » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:00 pm

The two tent sites that I was at last year both had 120 15 amp.
Dewayne_Mellen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:28 pm

Like the the teardrops themselves, all the sites are different. It might be hookups, trees, a pull thru site, the view, etc. Tent sites don't always work because the pad is sometimes several yards away and in the middle of the actual site.

Your best bet is to ask, reserveamerica.com does list if there is electricity and/or water.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:26 pm

I say you have the best of both of those worlds here...
Use it as an RV and use it like a tent on wheels.
I went round and round with the county on this matter when getting everything worked out on the Pamplin Grove situation...
Early on, we had concerns of selling out and wanted to use the meadow for overflow.
Their rules say that tent camping is allowed in the meadow and at first, they told me no teardrops in the meadow...
After long discussions, they agreed to the line of thought that these things were like tents on wheels... in fact, they leave a much smaller footprint than a tent.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Mk,

I know a Florida campground owner that thought teardrops would be the equivalent to a small A-liner or a small pop-up camper. Then she put us in a tent spot at the end of a line of big RV's and ran a power cord over to the RV site next to us. The campground was almost empty, so space avalibility wasn't an issue. It looks like to me that teardrops are an almost undefinable entity. Which is fine with me. :lol: :lol:

As for stupid questions, how about those stupid answers?????
:roll:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Kens » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:16 pm

Where I camped so far I had no say so. They put me with the RVs.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby EZ » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:07 am

I had never really thought of this (a little late now). I guess I was assuming that with the diminutive size of my camper and no required hook-ups I could camp where I had been tent camping. I plan on mostly visiting state parks to begin with so I guess I will have to check what the rules are. I didn't build this thing to go get placed next to one of those 300K motorhomes that pull a car along that is better than mine with the generator running all day and night.....

What have I done? :duh:

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby kajamelu4 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:44 am

I've parked in both kinds of sites. When with my parents (they of the big RV), we park in with the RVs. When by ourselves, we park in the 'improved ' tent sites, with electrical hook-ups. Some places just don't know how to classify us. Lots of them come outside, when we are checking in, just to see what we are talking about. :lol:

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:11 pm

All most all of the campgrounds we have been in have Tent sites with or without electric (20 amp) and sometimes water, water and electric (20 -30 amp) hookup site and the full hookup (water electric (20-30-50amp) and sewer) We just ask for simple water and electric sites if available when we make reservations. These areas are as a rule away from the big RV's usaully queiter than tent site areas. Sometimes tent site areas can get alittle loud due to the nature of a bunch of people being tents and thinking that they are still at home and some people just don't care. Can be quite humorous at times and sometimes downrite annoying at 3am. I guess my main complaint of tent areas is the lack of campsite bounderies and camping ettiqette (SP) and people wandering through at any given moment. Other sites people have alittle more manners so to speak. Just my two cents worth from my experiences camping

PS. Always look for the first time tent campers who usually give themselves away with the walmart bags of freshly purchased gear and the tent still in the sealed box and kids with sometimes a baby. You know that these are the people not to be next too. Although it can be funny at first, later that night you won,t think so :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Woody wrote:PS. Always look for the first time tent campers who usually give themselves away with the walmart bags of freshly purchased gear and the tent still in the sealed box and kids with sometimes a baby. You know that these are the people not to be next too. Although it can be funny at first, later that night you won't think so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Woody:

Now if this isn't sage advice I don't know what is.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Mary K » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:12 pm

Okay Cool! Thanks For the advice....

I havent even started my build but I am already planing a trip...Imagine That!! I got it bad guy's :crazy:

So I go online, and find the campground I recomended in the begining of this thread....Pisgah NF. They have many campgrounds. But only one with a few sites w/ power and water h/u AND they are closed the time I want to visit. In the Fall, in N.C. :cry:

GO Figure.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Mightydog » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:45 pm

Mary K wrote:I havent even started my build but I am already planing a trip...Imagine That!!

You're on the right track, I think!

This past vacation, we walked/drove through the potential camp grounds that we want to frequent when our trailer is done. It was a great source of motivation for me. I really want to go camping now!

One of the park rangers chatted with us about where we would want to camp when we showed up. We told him what we were building. He said that they love to see teardrops come in because they can fit into almost any site including the more awkward-to-land sites because they can be wheeled into place.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:32 pm

Mary K wrote:
I havent even started my build but I am already planing a trip...Imagine That!! I got it bad guy's :crazy:

Mk

MK,

I dont think you are at all crazy. As a matter of fact, I started my build because I had already planned a trip. After the trip was planned, I then thought about making and breaking camp all those times, I nearly canceled the trip. Then Andrew inadvertently pointed me to this place and I caught the fever. :? :? :?

Now I got it bad :R :R

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Nytewyng » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:46 pm

The wife and I like a State park here in PA so we go often, recently they have added electric to about 50 of the 300 or so sites. Since its about 45 minutes away we went up there this weekend to scope it out. We get the map from the Rangers and drive around and check out what sites are best for our setup. we found about 16 that will work for the Teardop some with electric some without , some that allow pets etc. So if we go online to reserve, we know what we are getting.
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi Rob and Deb,

I like a lot of state campgounds in PA also.....which is the one you are referring to with new electric for some sites and pets too. Most state campgrounds don't allow dogs and I'd sure like to bring my cowgirl once in awhile. I know some of the state campgrounds were allowing pets as a test. Hope that opens it up more to pet owners.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets