Has anyone built a solar oven or stove??

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

what Solar do you use

Solar lamps
6%
Solar charger
19%
Solar lamp and charger
13%
Solar cooking only
13%
all of the above
No votes
nun of the above
31%
Solar Shower or other things left out put below.
19%

Total votes : 16

Has anyone built a solar oven or stove??

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:03 pm

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=1 ... tnG=Search
http://images.google.com/images?q=+sola ... &hl=en&lr=

I have seen pictures and seen them at fairs and science frairs.

can any one shed light on this subject??

Ron D.
where the sun shines most of the time.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rev. Ken » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm

Sorry i can't give you any info. I just wanted to be part of your poll.

Rev. Ken
Rev. Ken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:46 pm

Rev Ken welcome aboard I have many other polls under user polls.

Ron D.
by the other Ocean.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

try here

Postby Turtle49 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:57 am

I ran across this site some time back.....
http://www.solarcooking.org/ :Flippin Burger:
Turtle49
Site Moderator

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:49 pm

While attending a dutch oven convention, I noticed a vendor selling solar ovens for dutch ovens. The solar oven itself consisted of a a circular reflective fabric base that the dutch oven was positioned on and had a cone styled collar of the same material sewn to the base. The vendor had a clear plastic oven bag placed over two stacked dutch ovens, which he claimed help retain heat. He also said that he had some cobbler baking in the dutch ovens.
Out of curiosity, I placed my hand on the plastic bag that sheathed the BLACK dutch ovens. I was surprised at how hot the surface of the ovens were.
I also noticed another stack of BLACK dutch ovens at another vendors booth... They too were very hot to the touch.
Using the touch method, I couldn't tell from one to the other if the solar oven made the surface of the dutch ovens any hotter than the ones just setting in the sun and I never saw a cobbler come out of either oven anytime I was there...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby sjptak » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:53 pm

I tried the solar cooking a couple of times just because it was different. I made biscuits OK, but had trouble trying a Pork tenderloin. My thought was that it was way more trouble and time consuming for me. Although, my wife didn't argue with me when I told her I was too busy (as I took another sip of beer while relaxing in the recliner) to play Pinochle (sp?)

Labor day weekend we used a couple solar lights to put by the unused fire ring so we wouldn't trip. I'm cosidering installing 2 75W solar panels on my Chev van with a controller, batteries and a 1200W inverter so I could have power when I boondock.

Problem is, I have way too many projects as it is. I gotta admit, solar is nice, but it can't run the AC unless you've got room a couple 1000 pounds of batteries and a lot of panels. With judicious use of lights, I can get a full 7 nites of lighting (12V and 120V) with my 2 golf cart batteries and my inverter.

Stan
Stan

A tear drop wannabe but
a reasonably small TTT owner
sjptak
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:49 pm

here is a magazine you can look at on the net or get at the news stand.

http://www.homepower.com/

"Dean" there is an event that happens near you !!

Hopland, CA. Ongoing workshops, including beginning to advanced PV, wind, hydro, alternative fuels, green building techniques & more. Solar Living Institute, 13771 S. Hwy. 101, Hopland, CA 95449 • 707-744-2017 • [email protected]www.solarliving.org

I always wanted to go but have yet to get up there ... they might dig your teardrop and might start making some solar ones.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Claw » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:29 pm

I have made a meal with a solar oven I built from a web page. It was an insulated cardboard box design. It cooked the meal but it took more tending than what I desired.

The concept is that you can cook anything as long as you can get the temp to 160-170 degrees. Pasturization is done by bringing the product to that temp. Higher temps just shorten the cooking time. I got my cardbord box, painted with nontoxic flat black paint, with a oven bag as the 'window' to over 180 degrees! It cooked my roast beef but I had to keep turning the box to follow the sun and it took 10 hours. I know the concept can be improved upon and if one is in a more southern area than I, it surely could be an option. With the abundance of wood fuels in the areas that I visit an effecient wood burning stove would be more practical.
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:58 pm

Best I can offer is I did build a solar hotdog cooker when I was a kid in high school... It did work pretty good... one weeny at a time. Not very practical though. Was good enough for an A in science though. :D
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Solar oven

Postby Sandy Claws » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:26 am

:thinking: I built a solar oven many years ago when I lived in Tucson. It was basically an insulated box with a 45 degree slanted glass wall with 4 reflector panels the size of the slanted glass on each side reflecting the sun into the box. It worked just like a crock pot. I made several cassaroles in it. :thumbdown: I wouldn't consider it as a portable outfit. Dutch ovens are better for camping. smaller too!

Rog...
Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest! Mark Twain
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Return to Camping Secrets