Does this sound safe?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Does this sound safe?

Postby Redline » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm

First, happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I wish you the best, where ever you might be.
Now here's my dilemma and question:
This winter, I plan to do so some serious winter camping, in northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, and some of the sites won't have electricity or water.
My Little Guy tear seems pretty well insulated, and I have a heavy sleeping bag. But could I use a Coleman, propane ceramic heater to warm up the trailer for a while before going to sleep.
I would have both side windows slightly open, for cross ventilation, the top vent slightly open, and a small, battery-operated fan circulating some air.
I would only keep the propane heater on while I was fully awake, in the trailer, and I would shut it off at least 20 minutes before going to sleep.
I also would leave the roof vent slightly open during the night.
Does this plan sound safe enough?
Would you have any other suggestions? (It could be really cold, around zero or below fahrenheit at night).
Many thanks in advance for your help with this. Everyone on this forum has been great to me, and I have learned a lot from you.
Best Regards,
Rick
Redline
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Even the best laid plans have failed. Imagine that you are so tired you fall asleep 20 minutes early, never to wake up again. :cry:

A far better option is to use a 12v mattress warmer.

You could also pick up a used forced air furnace from an old camper...

Better safe than sorry.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 pm

I agree with Mike...don't use the propane heater inside. I do, however, have another question...being from Texas we don't know how to handle such situations, but at that temperature, what are you going to drink in the morning? Won't every thing be frozen? :thinking:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Laredo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:44 pm

I wouldn't recommend a gas heater inside either ... the carbon monoxide risk in a low-02 environment is way bad news even if you don't doze off early.

There are a couple things out there ... "hot hands" or "footwarmers" that are little reusable sealed chemical warmers ... that you might look into.

If you want to have drinkable coffee in the morning (or tea or cocoa or {shudder...chicken bouillion, which is my beloved's warm drink of choice}, bring along a quart-size thermos and, the night before, rinse it with boiling water (about half a cup sealed up inside for 15 minutes) then fill it with warm but not boiling water and seal it again.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:55 pm

In that type of cold...I think you need a good heater. I'm not as concerned as some others about heating up the space with a gas space heater before bedtime if equipped with a CO monitor, but I do believe that a fella really ought to consider biting the bullet and installing a small externally vented gas RV furnace for zero degree (or below) temps...and I would buy a new one. That way you know you are safe, and you don't have to be uncomfortable in the middle of the night. I just got back from a winter hunting trip and it just ain't no fun to pop your footzies in frozen boots in the morning.
:)
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Redline » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:59 pm

These are excellent suggestions, guys. I have to agree now, that the propane heater sounds too dangerous. Even if I am really careful, and I would be, things could go wrong. Carbon monoxide is scary stuff because you can't see it or smell it.
I might try something simple, like heating some rocks on the camp fire and putting them in a plastic Thermos cooler.
Place the cooler inside the trailer and allow the heat from the rocks to slowly dissipate. I could place a jug of water in the cooler, too, to keep it from freezing.
Does that sound better?
Redline
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redline » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Hey, the furnace idea sounds good. I will take a look at that as a long-term solution. Are they expensive?
Redline
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redline » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:46 pm

This Zodi tent heater sounds interesting, too. Besides the trailer, I could use it in other places like an ice fishing shanty.
http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consume ... tvent.html
Redline
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:28 am

Rick, What we have been doing is sleeping without any heat and sleep in a 30 deg sleeping bag. We lay two more opened up 30 deg bags over it and sleep very comfortable. This time of year those bags are selling for half price at the sporting goods stores. This small 110 volt 90 watt heater will bring the cabin temp up 10 - 15 deg but it makes the inverter fan run all night. I'm still testing it out so don't know how warm it will make a really chilly tear warmer. There are no hot wires and it's all sealed up and seems pretty safe for a tear. I've given in to putting some 110 volt plugs for when we can have power. That will be my project this weekend. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:40 am

Rick...that might not be the best of ideas, a little too easy to skirt the operation rules and forget...we had a thread on off beat and non traditional heaters, and I caught grief on the idea of a light bulb in a caged fixture as too dangerous, but there were lots of suggestions that included candles! Go figure...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:05 am

Even new, the forced air furnaces are not THAT expensive...

Here's how we put it in the Lil Diner...

and here's how I put it in the Baja Benroy

pic here

and don't forget Q's arrangement...

pic here

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:33 pm

mikeschn wrote:Even new, the forced air furnaces are not THAT expensive...

Here's how we put it in the Lil Diner...

and here's how I put it in the Baja Benroy

pic here

and don't forget Q's arrangement...

pic here

Mike...

Mike do you have an exterior shot of that heater? Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby jagular7 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:08 pm

Don't forget about the CO alarm and an thermometer. The alarm to let you know you need to vent, and a thermometer to measure your temps so you get an idea of heat loss. Plus you can toss it outside for 10 minutes to get the outside temps. With this, you can gauge heat loss from your camper.

2 years ago, I slept in an insulated cabin (walls/roof R19). Interior temp at 11pm was 70, outside temp (4 with little wind). By 7 am, it was 39 inside the cabin and 3 outside. There was only 2 of us sleeping in a 12'x12' room. We now have propane radiant heat and its cosy no matter how cold it is outside.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:31 pm

How about a protein fired heater?

"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:03 am

Danny,

Does this help?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Camping Secrets