Road Trip with a Teardrop ?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Road Trip with a Teardrop ?

Postby Ramblerfan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi, it's been a while since we posted on here :thinking: but I was wondering if anyone had any stories to share about traveling with a teardrop? Most of the things I have read involve going to a campground and staying in one place. I had envisioned using ours ( once built ) to sleep in while on the road ( restparks etc ). Would beat the heck out of trying to get a few hours sleep in the car or truck, then we could find a campground at or near our destination. Any tricks on bathrooms while camping in one other than getting as close to the one in the campground as possible? Thanks, LB and Tamm.
Ramblerfan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:58 pm

We went to SF for thanksgiving. Stayed in a motel in Lovelock. Nice old place, but almost $60. That will pay for a tank of gas.

Coming back we slept in the tear in a rest stop. There was another RV and abunch of trucks over a bit, so I felt safe.

It was 10 degrees, and once we got warmed up, we slept well.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm guessing that there were a few roadside nights spent in this Little Guy http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=13491

All of my trips have been within one day's drive.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kajamelu4 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:51 pm

I got my teardrop to travel in. I travel alot with 3 of my kids and my folks (they have a big RV). Two of us sleep in the back of my Suburban (used to be our Excursion) and 2 in the teardrop. If any of my brothers or sister and families go, they stay in the Rv with my parents. We traveled from south central Oklahoma to South Dakota just 4 days after our Camp-Inn was picked up in Wisconsin. We have taken several trips since. We just decide where we are going, hit the road, and find a place to camp every afternoon. So far, so good. No problems finding a campground anywhere we went yet. Get out there, have some fun!
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby Et Cetera » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:58 pm

In August 2007 we'll be taking a 2-week roadtrip from Oregon to Michigan. We plan on taking the teardrop to sleep in when the opportunity presents itself (finding a nice campground with amenities like a shower the next morning). This should help save on hotel costs and give us a place to nap mid-day when the driving drowsies set in.
~Teri
Et Cetera
Teardrop Master

Postby Gaston » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Some one my wife talked to at IRG said they had been 19 days on their trip with the teardrop. her only rule was a motel every 3rd day for a good shower 8)
I am going to take mine on our annual trip to Florida(usually fly) hope to spend about 2 weeks on the road getting there. Will leave Oregon about the middle of April (right after I pay my taxes) head south thru eastern California around Gold country at Columbia, over to the Grand canyon and Bryce canyon then cross country and down into Texas to San Antonio and maybe Galveston over to New Orleans (slidel) then cross lower coast to Destin Florida Spend a month sponging off my sister maybe a Yacht trip to the Bahamas on their new 62' Searay for a couple of weeks, then wander around the country on the way back to provety valley (home)
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:34 pm

I am burning with envy.

Have a super trip, and tell us about it.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 pm

Gaston wrote: maybe a Yacht trip to the Bahamas on their new 62' Searay for a couple of weeks

Destin to the Bahamas, that's a long trip on a boat! Driving to Ft Lauderdale from Destin takes almost 10 hours. Then it's a couple hours on the boat to get to Freeport.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jack J » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:44 pm

We have used our TD camping many times since building it 8 years ago. We have been at forest service campgrounds where facilities are very limited to regular state and national park campground with a few privately owned ones inbetween. 2 years ago we took a 5 week vacation to Wisconsin, Michigan and then to the ITG at Minden on the way home. We spent 2 nights in a motel on the trip. One was after a torrential rain in the Badlands of South Dakota where the trailer had a leak we didn't know about and had to dry things out. The other was after a really long day of driving and needed a larger room to relax in other than the TD. We have found that most campgrounds are pretty decent. Even when it rains, we have adjusted what we wear to compensate for it. Eating dinner in raingear while watching the water run down the campground road outside of Mt Rushmore made for a great story. "1100 miles from home dear, I don't think we can do much about this at the moment"
This summer we are planning another long trip to the east coast that will include stops at Minden, a lobster dinner in Maine, Vermont, Niagara Falls, Wisconsin and any other cheesy tourist trap we can find in between. The Spam Museum was fun last trip. There probably will be a few nights in a motel, but most will be in a campground, meeting new people from around the country. That is the fun about using the teardrop, it is a great icebreaker in a campground and the stories you will hear from what others remember are interesting. You just can't get that in a motel.

Enjoy your travels,
Jack
Jack J
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TLC » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Hey Ramblerfan:
I got my TD for that reason......travel. I go solo, so it's been an easy tow, easy set-up, easy on the back sleeping! I've had no trouble finding a place to park for the night while on the road. I try for State parks, Co parks and private campgrounds in that order. My most recent trip was from Milw. WI, across Lake Michigan on the Lake express car ferry to Muskegon MI. Then I drove the coast line north all the way around Lake Michigan and back to Kenosha, WI where I live. Nice trip and lots of exciting things to see and do. Bathroom fracilities have not been a problem so far. In fact I try for a site a little farther from them, just to get my rest away from the crowds.
Don't worry about the small things, the big things take care of themselves!
Tom :)
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby Archer_1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:23 pm

Last July, my wife and I took a two week loop around the southwestern US. Left from Ontario (Calif.) and went to Tuscon, Carlsbad, Albequque, Durango, Canyon de Chey, Flagstaff, N. Rim Grand Canyon, Vegas, then home. Hellova adventure and we met lots of terrific folks along the way.
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Road Trip suggestion

Postby Dee Bee » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:39 pm

I understand you want to find accessable bathrooms on a road trip. I think it is common knowledge that Wal Mart usually welcomes traveling campers. In most cases if they park in a section of the lot that is not busy they are welcomed overnight. If you find a 24 hr Wal mart you've got a bathroom too. Check out truck stops also.

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby neal b » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:24 am

hi gaston with that big road trip your going on i guess we will see alot of pictures :pictures: have a safe trip

neal
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:53 am

If you call trips from Texas to Indianna a road trip, I've been on a couple with the TD so far. The trips I've made are a two day drive to the destination, were I camp for a few days. I try to find a KOA for the night, and that works pretty good because they are usually right on the side of the road and have all needed facilities.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Phil & Ningning » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:57 am

Traveling in the car is exactly the reason I decided to build a teardrop. My wife and I enjoy traveling that way. There is so much to see. We also enjoy tent camping, but that does not lend itself well to getting up in the morning and hitting the road efficiently.
Many poeple ask what I plan to do with the teardrop when it is finished. I always tell them that we will pull it all over the USA. The longest trip in the works right now is to Windsor, Canada to visit my wifes friend, who she has not seen since coming to America two years ago. If I could pull it to China to visit her parents, I would!
:lol:
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Camping Secrets