LP tip

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

LP tip

Postby tk » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:11 pm

Just read this in today's KC Star excerpted from Cook's Magazine: To check how much LP is left in your tank, pour a small pot of boiling water over the side of the tank then feel for warmth/coolness. Where the tank remains cool is the level of the LP.

Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Postby IndyTom » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:05 am

Thats a kewl tip. I have been doing that for several years. No so much anymore since I went au natural, and went back to strickly charcoal. Now LP is just for frying fish and turkeys, and lighting charcoal.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Sierrajack » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Camping World has these sticky strips that go on the side of the tanks and are supposed to tell you the level also - question is, do they work?
Good tip about the water.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby Q » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Those sticky strips do work. All they are is a material that changes color with temperature. You have to pour hot water over them to make them work.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Geron » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:11 pm

Pick it up and shake it. After doing it a 1000 times you can tell by the weight, etc. about whats left. Tare weight of most 20 lb tanks is around 18.58 lbs. (more or less) or printed on the tank + Tank capacity in lbs of LP -- 20 lbs?. More or less cause they don't always fill all the way up exactly right. So a full tank should weigh about 38-40 lbs. maybe.

At this point is is More or less, approxomately, Plum nelly, time to refill. :o :roll: :thinking:

Use a 50 lb. fish scale for an exact estimate :? Anything over 18 lbs or Tare weight is LP estimated exactly. (I carry a 50 lb fish scale in my back pocket -- always)

Scale -= weighing device, not what you scrape off the fish.

Words, words, words, in the English language are basically useless ;)

If all else fails pour hot water over it -- I hate to boil water :(

Just wanted to make my valuable contribution to the discussion. What WERE we talking about :QM
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:44 pm

...in the pick up tank(20#barbque style) and shake vein...shake it...if you can feel any "slosh", you can probably cook with and finish..if you can't, then you probably can't...down here in the hot and HUMID South, once you hook up tank(any size) and start cooking, a line of condensate will form up from the propane level down......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Camping Secrets