Has anyone made and used a "Penny Stove"?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Has anyone made and used a "Penny Stove"?

Postby Et Cetera » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:34 pm

While visiting family in Southern Oregon this past weekend, I got to talking about our teardrop and camping. My Uncle, an avid camper/hunter, showed me a Penny Stove that he made. It's a neat little item!

Here are the instructions:
http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/stoveinstruct.html
~Teri
Et Cetera
Teardrop Master

Postby Geron » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Yes, I've made several different types. They work very well to boil 16 oz of water in 5-6 minutes. That's about as long as they will burn on the amount of fuel they hold (2-3 Tbs denatured alcohol). They are quite effective to heat water for tea, coffee, soup or dehydrated (freeze dried) meals.

Also known as Pepsi can stoves as well as other names. Google for other designs.

They seem so harmless just sitting there burning with an almost invisible flame that they become quite dangerous. Don't let your guard down when using them. :o
Please, don't as me how I know :whistle:

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:52 pm

Although cute, why would one bother, given that there are cheap propane stoves available?

I could see years ago with white gas, pumps, etc on Coleman stoves, but with modern equipment, seems like a lot of work to ruin a perfectly good Heineken can...

I have a single burner propane stove. Put the base on the fat propane bottle, screw the single burner on the bottle and I'm in business. And they are only 10 bucks...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Et Cetera » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:56 pm

Arne wrote:Although cute, why would one bother, given that there are cheap propane stoves available?

Backpackers concerned with the weight of what they carry use the penny stove.

It's a really neat item when you see it in action!

Considering all the handy skills the people around here have, I was just wondering if anyone has made one.
~Teri
Et Cetera
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Ah, gotch ya... that I can understand.. but it has been so long since my back could carry a pack, I wasn't thinking..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Geron » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:22 pm

Et Cetera wrote:
Arne wrote:Although cute, why would one bother, given that there are cheap propane stoves available?

Considering all the handy skills the people around here have, I was just wondering if anyone has made one.

Note above post -- I've made several. They are truly neat for the niche they fit. Work like a charm burn hot and fast and then poof -- it's gone in about 5-6 minutes but will boil a 16 oz of water in that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove

Check the "External Links" at the bottom of the article.

Edit: I think Dee Bee's made'm also.
Edit again: Check this thread
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ight=pepsi

g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm

made 'em and taught Webelos Scouts to make 'em, altho we didn't use Heineken cans :D

you can make a penny stove or a "photon" stove with several varieties of cans. The one out of two "Fancy Feast" cat food cans used to be my favorite. I rather prefer the ones made from green chili cans these days (cat food cans are so thin now they melt).
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby FireLion » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:01 pm

Looks similar to stoves I've made for backpacking. I've made several from Foster"s Lager cans, and they weigh only about 2 ounces. They burn denatured alcohol, and besides, it gives me an excuse to empty the cans. LOL Details are on the net, just google homemade camping stoves. They are very simple to make. A large can cut down and with vent holes makes a support for your pots.
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

The Thing Works!

Postby Dandy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:29 am

I had no idea such an invention even existed. It didn’t take long to figure out that not only does it exist, but there are a dozen (probably more) variations of the silly thing.

Well, I got sucked in… I built one, then another, then another. Now I’m going to try a different design. It’s like some kind of weird sub-culture. It lures you with many possibilities, and then makes you build something. Sound familiar?

Interesting website

Dave

Widget Project thread

"Why friends, you set a bucket of beer in front of a pig, and he'll grunt and walk away--and so should you. Or would you rather be a duck?"

W.C. Fields
Dandy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Thing Works!

Postby Geron » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 am

Dandy wrote:
I had no idea such an invention even existed. It didn’t take long to figure out that not only does it exist, but there are a dozen (probably more) variations of the silly thing.

Well, I got sucked in… I built one, then another, then another. Now I’m going to try a different design. It’s like some kind of weird sub-culture. It lures you with many possibilities, and then makes you build something. Sound familiar?

Interesting website

Dave

Been there. Done that. Got a Tee Shirt :roll: :roll:

Threw away a sackful and got a drawer full left :twisted: :twisted:

I kept the pennies ;)

Oh, I got the burn marks to prove it :O :whistle: Bee Keerful.

g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joseph » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:27 am

I was actually looking at a titanium version in a backpacking store the other day. But for forty bucks I don't think so. I may make one just for ducks. All my backpacking gear has been gathering dust in the closet for at least two decades, but who knows? It may get me out walking in the woods again...

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Geron » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:11 am

Joseph wrote:I was actually looking at a titanium version in a backpacking store the other day. But for forty bucks I don't think so. I may make one just for ducks. All my backpacking gear has been gathering dust in the closet for at least two decades, but who knows? It may get me out walking in the woods again...

Joseph

Two decades -- Mine's been stored that long as well. :cry: I sure do miss the woods. Gotta get back.
g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:05 pm

Those are good for projects with kids to get their minds developing to see how things work. Some other neat throw away projects such as the candle in the beer/soda can are interesting as well when you have small kids around. It brings out good conversation and family time as well.

Although it doesn't put out a lot of light, it does work and is usefull (& fun to make). It's like a camping night light when you don't want the big lanterns on.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:06 am

looks like fun a worning from one of those sites

[edit]Warnings :shock:
This stove is designed to burn only denatured alcohol or absolute ethanol. It would be explosively dangerous to use gasoline, white gas, camp fuel, kerosene, or any other fuel in this stove. Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) will not work either.
The flames from these fuels are practically invisible and if the fuel is spilled near the flames, this can result in a fire catching and spreading very quickly. Handle with care and be sure to have no flammable material around the area of the stove. Do not use a stove such as this near peat sites or tinder-dry vegetation.
Ask for help from an adult, teacher or parent with cutting the cans if you are a kid or if you do not feel confident in cutting it yourself. Take care not to slip with the knife or scissors while cutting.
The cut edges of the cans can be sharp. Use caution when working with them.
If you have too many large holes in the top, the fuel will not burn cleanly.
Do not keep your hand too close to the heat or flame when lighting. If the stove becomes too hot while you are lighting it, take a rest until it cools down enough.
Be careful not to burn yourself.
Be careful with sharp objects used to make the burner holes.

We use one that uses one burner folds for a back pack and uses fuel cans from a chaffing dish we just put the top back on to put out the fire..
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Randy77301 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:30 am

I like that idea, that is cool for the dry bag on them overnight kayak river and beach trips......
Randy77301
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Camping Secrets