DO's & vinegar

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

DO's & vinegar

Postby Catoosa Grani » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:56 am

I was not sure where to post this but here I am. I have a book on Pioneer cooking and the use of vinegar. It says that they used vinegar to keep the cast iron cookware from rusting. Does anyone know about this? I was wondering how it was used on the ironware. Would you just wipe it on like you do the oil? I appreciate any answers you might have.
:thinking:

Thanks,
Grani

P.S. I am really not that old. :lol:
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:49 am

I have Rust
copied from here~

1. If rust is not too bad, scrub with a scouring pad and rinse well. Put over a heat source to dry out all the moisture. Lightly re-season.

2. The way the pioneers did it was to place the pot in a larger container and stuff with hay. Dry or moist makes no difference. Add enough water to cover and 1 to 2 cups of cider vinegar. Just let is sit for about 1 hour, then check to see if all the rust is gone. If not, scrub a little and let it sit for 1 more hour; and all the rust should be gone. Scrub with a scouring pad, rinse, and re-season the pot. Remember to use the proper tools and hot pads to do the seasoning since the pans hold their heat . Never touch a hot Dutch Oven without good hot pads. This also works on tools!!!
3. If your Dutch Oven is extremely rusty, this could take 12 to 24 hours of sitting in the solution before you are down to the raw iron.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Catoosa Grani » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:03 pm

Thanks for the come back. I don't have rust, I thought it was something to prevent rust. I do oil them down after each use. There wasn't much in the book, only said it would prevent rust. Since I am new at this I just want to learn all I can.

Thanks again!
Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets