PICKING THE BEST CHEST (uPdated 8/12/07)

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 pm

asianflava wrote:Blythe? is there any good eason to go to Blythe? :lol:

Well Rocky... Blythe isn't exactly where I meant but couldn't remember Quartzite AZ
where the snowbird community flourishes and has swap-meets and more in
the winter months, NOT for summer at all costs. Known for free camping with
a community and some amenities, the snowbirds come for the inexpensive
living and warmer weather in the winter months. Blythe is down the road in
Calif... a short way and they are like sister cities in the area.

Events in Quartzite

Quartzite photo tour
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

My ice chest colder

Postby nevadatear » Tue May 12, 2009 8:02 am

Here is my idea. After reading Steve's meanderings on the subject (nice meeting you at the 'glyphs) I took it a bit farther. I added the foil insulation inside from the "burning man" method (I do live in the same county as burning man after all) and added a homemade outside quilt. I had some blocks and fabric left over from the quilt I made for the trailer, so I fashioned a fitted quilt for the ice chest.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, or what he actually said was he would have thought I was crazy if I had actually purchased fabric for this project instead of just using left overs. It is fitted at the back, and open in the front, lapping over the sides to keep the air in. It could have also been made as a "toaster cover" type, but I figured each time I openned the ice chest, it would be to get something out, so my hands would be full and I didn't want to have to figure out how to put the quilt back on that way. so instead it has the open front and is velcroed to the top. Our first trip out, if the trailer gets finished, is Memorial day, so we will see how it works!

Sure, you could put a sleeping bag or wet beach towel over the top to accomplish the same thing, but what would be the fun in that?

Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Re: My ice chest colder

Postby mandy » Tue May 12, 2009 1:08 pm

nevadatear wrote:Here is my idea. After reading Steve's meanderings on the subject (nice meeting you at the 'glyphs) I took it a bit farther. I added the foil insulation inside from the "burning man" method (I do live in the same county as burning man after all) and added a homemade outside quilt. I had some blocks and fabric left over from the quilt I made for the trailer, so I fashioned a fitted quilt for the ice chest.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, or what he actually said was he would have thought I was crazy if I had actually purchased fabric for this project instead of just using left overs. It is fitted at the back, and open in the front, lapping over the sides to keep the air in. It could have also been made as a "toaster cover" type, but I figured each time I openned the ice chest, it would be to get something out, so my hands would be full and I didn't want to have to figure out how to put the quilt back on that way. so instead it has the open front and is velcroed to the top. Our first trip out, if the trailer gets finished, is Memorial day, so we will see how it works!

Sure, you could put a sleeping bag or wet beach towel over the top to accomplish the same thing, but what would be the fun in that?

Thats a nice way to hide a cooler. :thumbsup: Let us know if it works. :thinking:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 12, 2009 1:54 pm

I can not believe this thread went this long without goind awray !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 35thAV » Fri May 15, 2009 8:51 am

apratt wrote:Steve, I have a Yeti cooler. So far I have only used it 2 times, it defintly beat my Colemans coolers hands down. I have had ice after 4 days, but I have not used it longer yet. Yeti claims that you can keep food cold 9 to 15 days. I don't know about 15 day but 9 may be posible. One of these days I will test it out. Oh yea the Yeti is expensive.

Yeti is the way to go if you ask me -not cheap but amazing quality - We raft the Snake River through Hells Canyon it'll keep ice for a week in 100+ temps and direct sun the entire time!
We have several of them and have been using them for years!
1976 Westwind 13' with dual rear doors (48")Painted to match the F250 <b><i>My big little trailer!</i></b>

<b>The road takes me to the dirt, the dirt takes me to the whitewater, the whitewater takes me to the......</b>
My adventures blog:<b> http://blastshelter.blogspot.com/</b>
35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:56 pm

bobhenry wrote:I can not believe this thread went this long without goind awray !

Good looking picture of you Bob..... But who's that on the left?????? :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Micro469 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:03 pm

What's the differance between Poly Refridge Foam and something like pink insulating foam? And where can you get some? What about the spray foam in a can?
Another interesting point... If anyone has ever taken an old cooler apart.. you might be suprised to find that the foam does not completely fill the space between the inner and outer shell, sometimes leaving large air pockets there...
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pete.wilson » Sat May 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Hey

I know this is slightly off since your talking about ice chests and the very good ones are also very expensive and can be quite large in size. How about looking at a Engel Fridge Freezer which are about $600-1200 and run on 12V with a current of 2.5-3.9 amps depending on size. As long as there is 12v, you never have to worry about your food going bad at all. A lot of expedition camping types use them due to the factors your concerned about (what if you couldn't get ice when you needed it?). Website: http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/ :thumbsup:

Here is a source for checking out the various models and/or purchasing: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index. ... _list&c=28

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Mon May 18, 2009 8:45 pm

bobhenry wrote:I can not believe this thread went this long without goind awray !

DEWD! You sure know how to hijack a thread! :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby whitby guy » Sat May 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Bobhenry...the photo is in keeping with the thread title. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Sandy
nothing is foolproof..to a sufficiently talented fool
If everything is under control, you're not driving fast enough
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby bed4two » Mon May 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Is that a new cooler or heater? How much are they? Amp draw? Do I have to order one from down unda? Does it require added insulation? Does it come with an insulated box?

I'm totally mis-confused as it would seem to me that the ice would melt faster using if using one of these doohickeys. ;)

Don... going to bed now to dream about a new cooler
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
bed4two
Teardrop Builder

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Tue May 26, 2009 12:38 am

Bob henry that looks a little like Ira's wife.. :oops: :oops: Jim G :lol:
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets