Humidity inside the tear?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Humidity inside the tear?

Postby Darren » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:59 pm

At Petit Jean last month on Saturday night I had problems with the humidity inside the trailer. Even though I was very comfortable with the AC running everything just felt damp. I thought I would try to lower it by cranking the AC to max and sit outside for a while. When I got back in the windows fogged over and it was very cold but still damp feeling. Sunday morning Cindy mentioned experiancing the same problem in their tear.

So do you think it was simply that the outside humidity was so high the AC's couldn't pull enough moisture out or is there an econimical solution.

I'm running a 5000btu window unit.
Photo from during construction.

Thanks,
Darren
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby doug hodder » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:50 pm

Darren isn't there a lever on the front of your AC unit that you can recycle the air within the tear rather than bringing in new all the time? I could be completely wet or damp as the case may be on this, as I only have a window shaker on the house, but it does have an air exchanger lever on it. I'm a dope on AC, but I thought that was what it was supposed to do. I lost the book on it.... :oops: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Rickxr2 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:53 pm

We didn't notice any difference at Petit Jean than any other camping trip. Although, on a camping trip last year our A/C overheated, I noticed the humidity before I noticed the temperature.

xr2
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:12 pm

We've experienced this when we camped in muggy muggy Florida and muggy muggy Houston. Some people say that it is because the unit has too much capacity for the space involved. I figure that if it gets cold and stays cold, most of the moisture will condense out.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Darren » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:23 pm

Doug, My ac didn't come with that option, it recirculates all the time.

It might just be that I'm not used to the combination of heat, humidity and maybe altitude that was at Petit Jean. I do have some air leaks from the back bulkhead to the galley. I'll get those sealed up and see if it helps.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:25 pm

asianflava wrote:We've experienced this when we camped in muggy muggy Florida and muggy muggy Houston. Some people say that it is because the unit has too much capacity for the space involved. I figure that if it gets cold and stays cold, most of the moisture will condense out.

Now that you mention that I remember hearing the same thing. As I remember the discussion was that it cools the tear too fast to effectively remove the humidity. :thinking:
Darren

Postby Arne » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:45 pm

could be, my a/c cycles off and on quite often...

I think I've experienced what you are talking about, but it's never been a big deal, but maybe I've never been in muggy, muggy areas.... Also, my tear has about twice the volume inside as a conventional tear, since I sleep head to back, I have a full ceiling over the bed, no intrusion from the galley... could make some difference.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Loader » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:00 pm

Darren,

We used the pet cool as you know, no problem on Sat night. We did have one of the windows cracked open for fresh air (some fear about dying in the little box I have). Could that help?
Last edited by Loader on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:41 pm

I think the pet cool is a better btu size for a tear. The 5,000 btu window units are meant for a much bigger volume....

Which is the reason I have a pet cool in my shed for aero-1, if I ever get it finished/g/..

An a/c unit takes the humidity out of the air by passing it over coils, and letting it drip on the ground.... if you cool the air quickly, enough volume does not pass over the coils to remove as much moisture as necessary... so the air is cool, but still feels moist instead of dry.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Pet Cool

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 am

I am curious about the Pet Cool...does it work better than a small window unit? I just used my TD this weekend fpr the first time at the Ft. Clinch gathering and my AC stopped working after one night. It is brand new but I don't have the papers on it since I bought the TD from someone who has since moved and left no forwarding address. I think there is a short in the wiring but I don't want to replace it if this is going to continue to happen. Of course it was rained on like crazy the first night and the humidity sky high the rest of the trip but I don't know why a brand new ac would short out.

So, what is the scoop on the Pet Cool and can it be installed or just used as a portable?

Thanks!
Rebecca
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

damp inside

Postby Eunice » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:56 am

We dont have ac. woke up one morning and the condensation on the walls was really bad. next night cracked a window and the top vent and have never had anymore problems with the wet or dampness. I think small spaces need ventilation no matter how the air is moved ac or window.
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 pm

AC is one of those over my head things (see tag below) but I wonder if whether having insulated walls / ceiling or not has anything to do with it? As I recall you said you didn't have any foam or other insulation?

And DEFINITELY leave the roof vent cracked open or a window.... don't turn blue in the middle of the night (as jplock)
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 pm

I have an A/C unit in my TD. The only time that I have actualy used it, other than testing it in Denver, was in 115* temps in MOAB. It was great inside! Granted it is dry in Denver and Moab. I haven't used it in a humid location yet.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:15 pm

Oklahomajewel:

Did your build your tear? I need to put rain guards (not sure if that is the correct name for them) over my doors and I noticed the one on yours. Where do I get that or do I have to make them from scratch?

Rebecca
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby jeepr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:46 am

I have read that those window type air conditioners need to run continuously for around 20 minutes before they start to remove moisture from the air. Because tears are so small, the conditioner cycles too often to start dehumidifying them. Partially blocking the inside vent may help. Or you may end up as a popsicle.. :lol:
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets