Wine lovers....where are you?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 16, 2011 7:07 am

My beer comes bottled or canned and no vessel is needed but the dearest needs her GLASS wine glasses so we just pack them carefully and they seem to survive. As part of the Hoosier tearjerkers group we have a wine and cheese party on Friday nights for the early arrival folks at each of our gatherings. It helps to gather all the campers together so we can meet friends both old and new. It is always a good time as many of you who will join us at The Crossroads of America Gathering will find out in July.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mightydog » Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 pm

bobhenry wrote:...the dearest needs her GLASS wine glasses...

Because she's a KLASSY with a capital K!
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

God gave us beer because he wanted us to be happy.

Postby pmowers » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:07 pm

With all due respect to Ben Franklin, I tend to be more of a wine drinker myself. Most of the wines that I buy are from local wineries, I would rather support the little guy. We have the Southern Indiana Wine Trail, with about 7-8 wineries and a lot of pretty scenery. Each year they have an incentive program where you visit each winery and get your passport stamped, then a gift at the end. A couple of years ago, they had a picnic pack that you picked up components for at each winery. When you were done, you had something like this.http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Ascot-Classic-Backpack-Blanket/dp/B001PSL8KW/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1317070070&sr=1-5 . I keep it to use in my camp kitchen, solving the glasses problem. As for storing the wine, I have found a stainless wine rack from IKEA that can be mounted many different ways, and holds several bottles.

Personal favorites right now are Camelot Mead and Soft White from Oliver Winery, Pinot Grigio and Blackberry Merlot (great with steaks and spicy chinese stirfries).
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:42 pm

AmyH wrote:
I am planning to build a place in the galley cabinets to hold a few bottles of wine so they don't crash around or break. I would love to see if anyone has done something like this already, or if there are any good ideas for building in a wine bottle holder. I am thinking of something that can hold four bottles of wine (or so).

Check this out. This rack is in a house obviously, but I don't see why the idea couldn't work on a smaller scale in a teardrop. The bottle holders are PVC pipe. If you want to protect your bottles even more as you bounce down the road, do what the boaters do before they stick their wine in the bilge and put each bottle in a sock.

My personal favorites, Red Cat and White Cat from the Hazlett Wineries in the NY Finger Lakes. Only about $8.00 a bottle. It has a sexy kitty in a bikini sitting in a hot tub on the label.

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm

chorizon wrote:
legojenn wrote:Yes, and the woman who runs the Duty-Free shop in Ogdensburg NY knows me by name. I don't get that kind of service at my local government-owned liquor stores (SAQ & LCBO).

Government-owned liquor stores? Sounds Orwellian, like the gin in 1984 or something... :thinking:

Ever bought alcohol in any of these states?

The 19 control or monopoly states as of 2005 are:
Alabama (All liquor stores are state-run)
Idaho (Maintains a monopoly over sales above greater than 16% ABV.)
Iowa (Does not operate retail outlets; maintains a monopoly over wholesaling of beverages greater than 6% ABV.)
Maine (State-contracted to private businesses for commission)
Michigan (Does not operate retail outlets; maintains a monopoly over wholesaling of distilled spirits only.)
Mississippi (State-contracted liquor stores)
Montana (State-contracted liquor stores, modeled after the ALGC)
New Hampshire (Beer and wine sold at supermarkets & convenience stores; spirits and liqueurs are sold only in state-run liquor stores.)
North Carolina (Beer and wine can be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores; other spirits must be sold in state-run liquor stores.)
Ohio (Licenses businesses to run liquor stores for a commission. Beverages under 21% ABV may be sold in supermarkets)
Oregon (Beer and wine can be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores; other spirits must be sold in state-run liquor stores.)
Pennsylvania (In the process of opening retail outlets inside some supermarkets.[2]
Utah (all beverages over 3.2% ABV are sold in state-run stores)
Vermont (Liquor stores are state-contracted and licensed)
Virginia (Beer and wine at supermarkets, all liquor stores are run by the state)
Washington (Beer and wine sold at supermarkets, gas stations, department stores, etc.; spirits and liqueurs are sold only in state-run or state-contracted liquor stores.)
West Virginia (Does not operate retail outlets; maintains a monopoly over wholesaling of distilled spirits only.)
Wyoming (State-contracted stores)
Additionally, Montgomery County, Maryland is a control county, and some cities in Minnesota (notably Edina) control sales.
About one-quarter of the United States population lives in control or monopoly states.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Verna » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 pm

My favorite is Blackberry Wine from Oliver Winery in Bloomington, IN. Or Blackberry Wine from French Lick Winery in French Lick, IN. Or Blackberry Wine from Simmons Winery in Taylorsville, IN. Or Blackberry Wine from the Purple Toad Winery in Paducah, KY. Of course if you add Blueberry Wine from Butler Winery in Bloomington, IN to any of the the Blackberry Wines, then you could have Black and Blue Wine......

Yes, I like the sweet wines :D But, I love the taste of a good Merlot while fishing on a hot August day :applause: A White Zin is really good whenever. And, there really is a Black and Blue Wine that is made in a southern Illinois winery.

I'm keeping my wine glasses in their original WalMart box inside a soft-sided Coca Cola cooler hanging in my SideKick. They made it about 1,200 miles from Indy to the UP of Michigan and back two weeks ago. I'll figure out a better set-up over the winter. I only took one bottle of wine so I didn't have to worry about its transport--it was in the cooler.

I did put a fancy corkscrew in the SideKick because my Swiss Army Knife isn't as easy as the fancy corkscrew.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby honeask » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:31 am

Becky, I like the cylinders for holding wine but I would not use them till we reached our destination. We always keep it somewhere cool. In Texas there are usually little signs telling you how the heat can destroy the quality of the wine. Of course, the quality of the wine we usually drink is not too uppity to begin with :lol: , no wine cellar at this house. We used to drink Red Cat on occasion when we got in the hot tub. Not bad.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets