Wine lovers....where are you?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:54 am

AmyH wrote:Does anyone have a good way of carrying wine bottles in their tears? I am thinking of something that would be built-in for holding the bottles. I would love to see some pics if anyone has come up with an ingenious way to carry the bottles in the tear galley area. :thumbsup:

Grover and Jill in out Tearjerker group made a real neat little "wine cellar" The grouped several short lengths of 4" pvc in a cabinet real simple and looks real nice.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby legojenn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:52 am

Py0tr wrote:We are particularly blessed in new Zealand both with a thriving local wine industry and a very strong dollar which makes all those excellent South African wines so very affordable. Nederberg Cabernet is just $8.00 in the local supermarket at the moment. :thumbsup:

In addition to a strong dollar, you must also have low alcohol taxes. Our dollar is worth $NZ1.32. I don't think there is anything in the liquor store under $10.00. There are a lot of okay wines at the base rice, but a strong dollar doesn't always mean cheaper imported goods. $8.00 wine sounds nice though.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby OzarkWonder » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:43 pm

In addition to a strong dollar, you must also have low alcohol taxes. Our dollar is worth $NZ1.32. I don't think there is anything in the liquor store under $10.00. There are a lot of okay wines at the base rice, but a strong dollar doesn't always mean cheaper imported goods. $8.00 wine sounds nice though.

Your high alcohol tax is why home winemaking is so popular in Canada. You have several manufacturers of wine kits. One of my favorites is Winexpert.

Have Fun!
- Kenton
OzarkWonder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby legojenn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:27 pm

OzarkWonder wrote:Your high alcohol tax is why home winemaking is so popular in Canada. You have several manufacturers of wine kits. One of my favorites is Winexpert.

Have Fun!

Yes, and the woman who runs the Duty-Free shop in Ogdensburg NY knows me by name. I don't get that kind of service at my local government-owned liquor stores (SAQ & LCBO).
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby chorizon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:51 pm

legojenn wrote:Yes, and the woman who runs the Duty-Free shop in Ogdensburg NY knows me by name. I don't get that kind of service at my local government-owned liquor stores (SAQ & LCBO).

Government-owned liquor stores? Sounds Orwellian, like the gin in 1984 or something... :thinking:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Just did a recent teardrop trip to Lodi, CA, for their bird festival, which included wine tasting and birding combos trips! I'm more of a while/blush semi sweet fan. Not real fond of heavy on the "oak" wines. Current favs include the St Chappelle winery in Idaho, yeah, I know, not known as a hot bed of wine making, but love the Riesling. Just joined their wine club and got early Christmas present today. Two bottles dry Riesling, two sweeter special harvest and a "soft" rose. http://www.stechapelle.com/about/index.asp. My favorite part is they are pretty cheap (all under $10). I also like a little tiny place in Hartville, Oh for their fruit wines, it is just down the road from my husband's old homestead. http://www.maizevalleywinery.com/

I have a take apart lexan class with a stem for backpackers that I got from peak62 for closeout cheap price, 2.00 I think.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 pm

nevadatear wrote:Just did a recent teardrop trip to Lodi, CA, for their bird festival, which included wine tasting and birding combos trips! I'm more of a while/blush semi sweet fan. Not real fond of heavy on the "oak" wines. Current favs include the St Chappelle winery in Idaho, yeah, I know, not known as a hot bed of wine making, but love the Riesling. Just joined their wine club and got early Christmas present today. Two bottles dry Riesling, two sweeter special harvest and a "soft" rose. http://www.stechapelle.com/about/index.asp. My favorite part is they are pretty cheap (all under $10). I also like a little tiny place in Hartville, Oh for their fruit wines, it is just down the road from my husband's old homestead. http://www.maizevalleywinery.com/

I have a take apart lexan class with a stem for backpackers that I got from peak62 for closeout cheap price, 2.00 I think.

Sarah never liked the "oakey","tanniney" wines either and really introduced me to the whites, as I was always a "red" kinda guy. I haven't had any Idaho wine, but thanks for pointing it out. I know the Rieslings were abundant when I had the fortuitous occasion to live in Koblenz, Germany, and were usually sold as "table-wine" along with the Gewurtztraminer and Federweisser since the area was blessed enough to be at the confluence of the Rhine and Mosel rivers (and their respective wine-grape-growing valleys).

I really prefer a non-dry (sweet) white wine these days and'll definitely keep an eye out for the Idaho wines! Cheers! :thumbsup:

P.S. Its strange but I feel like when I say I like sweet wine these days its almost like I'm saying I really love to drink M-D 20/20 or Cold Duck or something.

BTW, my favorite everyday wine has got to be St. Genevieve (Fort Stockton,TX) Sauvignon Blanc. Go up a notch or two and we're lookin' at just about any Kiwi or Aussie White...they are just tasty!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mighty Mouse » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 am

We attended a charity Xmas party this last weekend. It has been sponsored by the van club that I have belonged to for the last 20 years and the party has been held for I think over 30 yers now. It is a benifit for Childrens Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. We collect toys for Christmas presents for the kids in the Hospital. The price of admission is 10 dollars and a 5 dollar or better toy per person. All money left after the cost of the DJ and hall rental is then used to buy even more toys, YEAH. Every year Santa makes a stop and hands out small thank you gifts for the guests. ( Paid for by club members not out of the cost of admission ) Any way to make a long boring story shorter, LOL, We and several friends that we camp, van with have gotten into wine tasting at every event we attend. Now we do not know much if anything about wine but we know what we like and have learned what our friends enjoy. For some reason most Vanners seem to gravitate toward the sweeter wines and price is no object we will gladly pay 7 or 8 dollars at Walmart for a bottle of wine LOL. This year we attended not as club members but as guests for the first time in a long long time. As paying guests we recieved a gift from Santa this year and for wine and camping it was perfect. Our gift (picked out with us in mind I learned later) was a wine travel kit. A very nice sturdy wooden box with quality hinges and clasps, inside the box were several wine tools such as a good heavy duty cork screw, knife and other things. The box was made to hold one bottle of wine in a lined space to cushion it for travel. A very nice gift and perfect solution to bringing wine to an event.

Bud
Mighty Mouse
Teardrop Builder

Postby 05liberty » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:32 pm

There has always been wine on our camping trips . When I was young my stepfather would take me on fishing / tenting trips and always have red wine (I got to have a sip or too with supper ) as I got older and developed a taste for it more there were more bottles brought camping .
My Stepdad now makes his owne and always has a nice merlot or pinot noir . These days there seems to be more wine than beer on my camping trips ... :wine:
Dave

05liberty
Teardrop Master

Postby TENNJIM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Is it true that there is a new wine for older folks called Pinot More?
:lol:
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby jhb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Wine is one of the more important amenities required for camping, and should be designed in, rather than added to, a teardrop build. This isn't a great picture of it, but you can see the 4 square slots just above the counter with one wine bottle left (this was the end of the trip). There is a sliding door to hide it (in case someone visits that you didn't want to share your wine with...). Just below the wine there are two slots for plates.

For glasses, Cathy prefers the plastic stemware, I prefer the stainless goblets she won for me at the raffle at IRG 2 years ago, mostly because I can't break them.

NevadaTear: You should recognize the camp ground...
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby goramsey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 pm

chorizon wrote:
legojenn wrote:Yes, and the woman who runs the Duty-Free shop in Ogdensburg NY knows me by name. I don't get that kind of service at my local government-owned liquor stores (SAQ & LCBO).

Government-owned liquor stores? Sounds Orwellian, like the gin in 1984 or something... :thinking:

Utah is government owned store's. What a scam. The prices in Utah are not cheap. No alcohol sold in any store except that horrible beer light. That is one of the bummers of Utah. But it is so beautiful - one kind of gets by with it. Where I live, you drive west to Mesquite NV., where you can shop your brains out. 100 miles drive one way, but well worth it. Well kinda, with gas the way it is you better drive there for the good stuff.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramseys-T ... 4019963253

Hunger makes a thief of any man. ~Pearl S. Buck
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
http://www.ramseystravels.com/blog/
http://www.ramseystravels.com
goramsey
The 300 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:52 pm

John, I do indeed, when were you guys at Rye Patch? And you didn't call, I am so hurt :( . Next time let us know when you are in the neighborhood! Nice to know a teardrop camped there! You may be the only one, we haven't taken ours out there yet!!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Visionsbydarrah » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey everyone, I
New to the group but wine is the best part of any day!
Red, white or blush I like them all.
I tend to stay with the sweeter ones over the dry wines.

So if there is ever a Tear & Wine gathering please let me know.
:twisted:
Pat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
2015 LittleGuy MyPod.
My YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/TheVisionsbydarrah
Visionsbydarrah
Teardrop Master

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Visionsbydarrah wrote:Hey everyone, I
New to the group but wine is the best part of any day!
Red, white or blush I like them all.
I tend to stay with the sweeter ones over the dry wines.

So if there is ever a Tear & Wine gathering please let me know.
:twisted:

That would be about every gathering in the North Central area. :lol:
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets