Dumb Newbie Camping Question: Washing Dishes?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby wolfy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just can't believe that you nitwits or more concerned with washin' dishes than you are with eatin' great Dutch oven recipies :shock: :? :thumbdown:

How does this thread survive :shock: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,/wash yer' dishes and heat up the iron next day and yer' good to go!

Make some sense people :worship: :worship: ....Boil some water in 'em and kill the Jerms. You will be good to go in the mornin' :lol: :lol:
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby George Kraus » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:41 am

Almost all State Parks in Ohio have disposal sites for dish water, that are labeled for that use only, within easy walking distance. No matter where you are camping, if they have a convenient place to properly dispose of your dish water, use it. I don't worry about you folks, but it is the idiot that saw you do it and thinks it's OK to throw anything in the wooded area. That is how you support in close racoon and skunk populations at camp grounds, I have camped around both and neither one is fun. HMMMMMMMMMMM, what if you dumped dishwater with food chunks in it in the middle of the nearest highway?

George
Started on the long road to happiness
George Kraus
Donating Member

Dish washing,

Postby wajing » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:28 pm

In Boy Scouts we learned to coat the outside of the pots we used over the camp fire with liquid soap, let it dry. Then cook with it, just make sure you don't apply the soap no closer than an inch from the lip of the pot or you'll get sick.

In the rinse water we would add a little bleach or a sanitizing agent. It helps to keep things clean and safe.
wajing
Teardrop Inspector

Postby davefullmer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:06 pm

The way my son gets his hot water is

He fills his large cast iron pot with water, hangs the pot on his
tripod over a wood fire, and heats until it boils.

Then he skims the soot out of the water and washes his dishes
in plastic dishpans. The used water always gets tossed in the brush at the side of the campsite.

My daughter-in-law lets my son do all the cooking and cleanup while camping.

Dave
Dave Fullmer
McKenzie, TN
davefullmer
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:30 am

wolfy wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I just can't believe that you nitwits or more concerned with washin' dishes than you are with eatin' great Dutch oven recipies :shock: :? :thumbdown:

How does this thread survive :shock: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,/wash yer' dishes and heat up the iron next day and yer' good to go!

Make some sense people :worship: :worship: ....Boil some water in 'em and kill the Jerms. You will be good to go in the mornin' :lol: :lol:

I guess us "NITWITS" just aren't as smart as you Wolfy. Just because we don't dedicate our time to your favorite thread, the DO cooking, we are "NITWITS". Well, from one "NITWIT" to another, please keep your unwanted insults to yourself because the people on this forum are not "NITWITS"...in fact, they are pretty damn cool people.

Rebecca
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby DRYVEM » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:15 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:I guess us "NITWITS" just aren't as smart as you Wolfy. Just because we don't dedicate our time to your favorite thread, the DO cooking, we are "NITWITS". Well, from one "NITWIT" to another, please keep your unwanted insults to yourself because the people on this forum are not "NITWITS"...in fact, they are pretty damn cool people.

Rebecca

:applause: Thank you for saying what I thought. I was trying to not feed the troll. :lol:

Barbara
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Postby wolfy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:36 pm

Well, I guess if I had any sense at all I would just let this thread die. Looks like it has now done so, but since the gauntlet has been thrown...... I just can't let it go whimpering away that easily.

My point is (was?), how many pages does it take to explain how to clean up after dining in the bush? When we start hauling around massive iron tables to cook in our dutch ovens and EQUALLY massive tables to clean up our utensils, the tear drop has gone beyond its initial concept and is destined to be an equipment trailer. :hammer:

As far as I'm concerned this thread was exhausted after the first seven posts....all questions were answered, all t's were crossed and all i's were dotted.

So blast away you dishwashin' maniacs....if that's what it takes to make you happy, then far be it from me to take away the simple pleasures of life that are left to you. I honestly hope that when we gather around the campfire that we can discuss something other than the merits of different dishwashing liquids, sponges vs. dishcloths, Kurly Kates vs. Scotchbrite pads, ad infinitum, but if that's the case.........I'm an old Eagle Scout that has more and better fish to fry.

Bon Chance :dead:
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:01 pm

Wolfy, everyone has the right to post their experiences and if it bothers you to hear all their responses please click the stop watching this topic button. Please don't attempt to insult everyone, it's just not nice. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Eunice » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:12 pm

wolfy wrote:Well, I guess if I had any sense at all I would just let this thread die. Looks like it has now done so, but since the gauntlet has been thrown...... I just can't let it go whimpering away that easily.

My point is (was?), how many pages does it take to explain how to clean up after dining in the bush? When we start hauling around massive iron tables to cook in our dutch ovens and EQUALLY massive tables to clean up our utensils, the tear drop has gone beyond its initial concept and is destined to be an equipment trailer. :hammer:

As far as I'm concerned this thread was exhausted after the first seven posts....all questions were answered, all t's were crossed and all i's were dotted.

So blast away you dishwashin' maniacs....if that's what it takes to make you happy, then far be it from me to take away the simple pleasures of life that are left to you. I honestly hope that when we gather around the campfire that we can discuss something other than the merits of different dishwashing liquids, sponges vs. dishcloths, Kurly Kates vs. Scotchbrite pads, ad infinitum, but if that's the case.........I'm an old Eagle Scout that has more and better fish to fry.

Bon Chance :dead:

I didnt say anything the first time you insulted the "nitwits" but this time I have to say something. Why do you feel the need to be mean? dont you know there is never a stupid question but with responses like yours people most definetely will not be asking you anything. They will be afraid you will just call them stupid. And that is just mean and makes you a not nice person. I hope you dont post any threads because I really dont care to hear from you
ps: I LIKE my massive dutch oven table and my cook stove table!!!! And we just added a dining table to boot.
AND AN EAGLE SCOUT SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby wolfy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 pm

Holy friggin' COW...FINALLY some of you are responding to my posts 8)

Dishwashin' has been flogged to several deaths here, but it ain't goin' away soon, apparently.

I stand corrected....let's hear more exciting tales of dishwashing experiences among the tall redwoods and how to protect their exposed roots from the vile casting about of microbial food bits that will upset the balance of nature :MLAS
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby mrchuc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:22 pm

TENNJIM wrote: A small stand with a large/low sided Sterilite box underneath can be used to contain shower grey water in the changing tent-I used plastic shelving and cut the legs to fit. Just stand on it, shower, and let the container catch the grey water-dump it later.

Jim B / Utah

Thanks for that idea, Jim. Do you happen to have any pics of the plastic shelving with the legs cut to fit? :pictures: I'd like to see if I am really visuallizing it correctly. :thinking:
Rolling lightly upon the Earth,

Chuc
mrchuc
Teardrop Master

Postby Boodro » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Hey Wolfie, If you would have been around this forum for as long as many of these people have , you would see that many,many subjects have been" flogged to several deaths " as you put it.( it looks as if you only have 23 posts as of tonite.) We have so many givers here, & so many newbies that almost all questions have been asked at one time or another. Yet you see that we strive to answer or direct the people that have questions to the right answer or resource. We don't insult them, as they may not know what has beens asked before.
I noticed that this thread began Sept. 13 , yet you did not reply to it until Oct. 12 , . :? If you don't like to hear about other peoples reply's then don't click on this thread . ;) It very easy to get along with this group of Teardroppers, we all want to have fun here , not belittle each other. So go read other posts that you enjoy. ( Like the DO section?????) :thumbsup:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:47 pm

mrchuc wrote:
TENNJIM wrote: A small stand with a large/low sided Sterilite box underneath can be used to contain shower grey water in the changing tent-I used plastic shelving and cut the legs to fit. Just stand on it, shower, and let the container catch the grey water-dump it later.

Jim B / Utah

Thanks for that idea, Jim. Do you happen to have any pics of the plastic shelving with the legs cut to fit? :pictures: I'd like to see if I am really visuallizing it correctly. :thinking:

Hope this works, it is in my album if this does not post up. Jim

Image (Jim if you click on edit you will see I highlighted the url and pushed img.)
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:52 pm

:( My first instinct was to clean up the dirt but I think I will leave it. We are a fun loving group and there are as many different ways to clean up as there are ways to dirty something.

Please, If you have something to add of use to the group post away. If your wish is to insult---well we would rather you didn't.

PS the shelving is a good idea for the shower!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:51 pm

Jim:

That's a good idea for keeping your feet off the bottom of the shower floor. I've seen them made of wood but I think your idea is just as good and probably more affordable.

Rebecca
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets