Foodsaver is the BEST of the camper's preparation tools...

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Mary K » Fri May 16, 2008 4:36 pm

I wrote this to Madjack earlier when he PMed me about the Reynolds Handi-VAc.

We have only been using it for about a month now. Kristin got it because she bought this HUGE Beef Brisket and need to freeze half of it. (it was to big for the pot to cook it in) Last time I looked it was sealed tight in the bag. I'll check it tonight and let ya know if there is any freezer burn.

She also used it for the leftovers and it kept great for 2 weeks.

You put the end of vacuum over the round flat port (the circle) on the bag and it will pull the air out slowly. It also has a plastic cup around the sucker end that catches juices that get sucked up. You take it off and clean it out. That was a nice feature.

I am not sure of cost, like I said Kriss bought it, but I will ask her tonight and get back to ya.

Mk

Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Foodsaver rolls $

Postby Guy » Sat May 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Dear Geron,

The only inexpensive place I found for foodsaver bags is Costco. Presently, they sell six rolls of 18 feet long for $38.99. Most other places sell one roll $12.00.

I founf the reynolds handivac at WalMart for $7.00. And the handivac website has coupons you can print out if you have a printer.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Tue May 20, 2008 2:43 pm

Dean_A wrote:I've always used ziplock bags for this purpose. Is this a big improvement over those? Does it make the stuff inside last longer? I'm always looking for a good reason to buy a new gadget (much to my wife's chagrin).

It is a huge difference in storage time. This is especially true with freezing. With no air in the bag, freezer burn is virtually impossible. I have stored frozen foods for up to a year in a vacuum bag.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Tue May 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Geron wrote:I've wondered about the foodsavers and been tempted to purchase. I just wondered about expendables. Are they that expensive?

Geron

If you buy the name brand bags, yes. I buy a different brand at Amazon.com that is less than half the price of the Foodsaver brand at retail.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Foodsaver rolls $

Postby caseydog » Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Guy wrote:Dear Geron,

The only inexpensive place I found for foodsaver bags is Costco. Presently, they sell six rolls of 18 feet long for $38.99. Most other places sell one roll $12.00.

I founf the reynolds handivac at WalMart for $7.00. And the handivac website has coupons you can print out if you have a printer.

Buying rolls to make your own bags is cheaper than buying ready-made bags. I keep a roll around for big items, like a rack of ribs, but usually use the pre-made bags.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

bags

Postby tjx » Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 am

New at this resealing bit and would love to buy one and try it. I'm all for prep work ahead of time for camping. What is the best brand to buy? It sounds like most of you use the Reynolds? :thinking: Is it possible to reseal the bags after one has opened them or are they a one time use only?
thanks, tina
tjx
Teardrop Master

Re: bags

Postby Nitetimes » Mon May 26, 2008 10:22 am

tjx wrote: Is it possible to reseal the bags after one has opened them or are they a one time use only?
thanks, tina

If you put more than you need in a bag you just use what you want and re-seal it. I've done it before and the directions tell you you can. I do believe that was one of their selling points at one time.

Mine's a Decosonic Pak'n Save, I image they pretty much are all the same.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon May 26, 2008 10:57 am

When I was using my foodsaver, I made the bags twice as long as necessary. Then, even after cutting and resealing several times, I was only losing about 1.5 inches each time instead of having to make a new bag about 8 inches long...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Mon May 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I am wondering if the food is vacuum sealed, are they racoon proof, I think Joann, may have had a problem with that. Maybe nothing is racoon proof. Jim :cry: :cry:
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon May 26, 2008 12:31 pm

MOKI SEAKER wrote:I am wondering if the food is vacuum sealed, are they racoon proof, I think Joann, may have had a problem with that. Maybe nothing is racoon proof. Jim :cry: :cry:

If a steel garbage can ain't coon proof I'd have serious doubts about the effectiveness of vacuum bags against them.....unless maybe they were in the bag before you sealed it. 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon May 26, 2008 12:35 pm

I am wondering if the food is vacuum sealed, are they racoon proof, I think Joann, may have had a problem with that. Maybe nothing is racoon proof. Jim

Maybe, just maybe, the first line of defense against raccoons stealing your precious food is to fully close the windows on your SUV. Correctamundo, Joanne? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Mon May 26, 2008 3:13 pm

TPMcGinty wrote:I think I'm going to see if I can find one of these. So far I found one on Amazon for $18.

Try Wal-Mart. That's where I got mine. $8.95 for the vacuum sealer and $4.95 for bags. They had them in the plastic wrap/foil aisle and in housewares.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

sealers

Postby tjx » Mon May 26, 2008 5:27 pm

thanks everyone for the great info.
For what little they cost, can't hurt to pick one up and try it. :thumbsup:

I looked on amazon but will try walmart or kohl's first.
Tina
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby songsparrow » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:32 pm

This is an old thread, but I was just reading it and was intrigued and had a question . . . how do you reseal the bags? Do you bring the vacuum sealer machine camping with you? Or do the bags somehow re-stick together?
songsparrow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:58 pm

songsparrow wrote:This is an old thread, but I was just reading it and was intrigued and had a question . . . how do you reseal the bags? Do you bring the vacuum sealer machine camping with you? Or do the bags somehow re-stick together?

If you wanted them re-vacuum sealed you'd need to bring the machine and have AC to use it. Otherwise just tie them shut.
I believe what most do is just put enough in them for single use, another words just enough for what they plan to cook.
You can cook right in the bag in boiling water with them so that keeps things simpler.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets