Foodsaver is the BEST of the camper's preparation tools...

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby rbeemer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:05 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:BY THE WAY >>>>>>

I got my Foodsaver machine out this weekend, after not having used it in over a year.
I have been in a cooking mood lately .

I made some spaghetti & Sausage the other night , so went ahead and made a full batch and had three servings to freeze. So I put them in a butterware... froze over night, then the next morning just take the frozen serving out of the container, into a foodsaver bag and I sealed it air tight.
Marked the pkg with the date and popped in the freezer. Did the same with the pork chops I bought at the store, sealed them so no freezer burn.

When putting the stuff in the freezer, I realized I had some green pepper in a foodsaver bag... I pulled it out of the back and it was still green, NO freezer burn and the date was 04/2006 !!!!! no , didn't use it , I chunked it but see how well it keeps? haha

This will be good for a camping trip , I can always grab one of those spaghettis and throw in the cooler for a lunch or something.

with things in a bag, you can cut open a corner and put it in the microwave or boil it in the bag.

I made some beef stroganoff last night, making some potatoes and meatloaf later.

hey Julie,

when I make big batches of Spaghetti sauce, I just put the sauce directly in the bag after it has cooled a little bit so when I start to seal it I hit the manual seal button when the air is out and the sauce gets close to the top. Then when I freeze it, I can lay it pretty flat on the shelf. Yours is a good way also I just don't like to wait overnight.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Jst83 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:08 pm

Had the big food saver gave it away when I found the Reynolds Handi Vac
Use it all the time, battery powered, ziplock type bags so there easy to unseal and then reseal. great for keeping dry stuff dry in the cooler

And so easy a 4 year old can use it

Image :lol:
Last edited by Jst83 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby lisasweetie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Tip: You can ALWAYS find these things on sale. Just look. And, buy generic bags online. I get mine from Amazon.com, of all places, and they work fine, and are WAY cheaper than name brand at retail.

CD

Thank you so much, I have not been able to find the pint bags at the store. I never thought to look for other brands.
:applause:
Lisa,

ImageImage
lisasweetie
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Last weekend I gave the FoodSaver a bit of a workout. Eight pounds of hamburger, five chickens (bought whole and cut up), and a full pork tenderloin from CostCo cut into chops and a roast.

The burger and birds were on a "Manager's Special" and were discounted about 75%. I don't mind them being close to the expiration date since I'm bagging and freezing them anyway.

I always watch the sales and jump on the good ones. A while back I bought three tri-tip roasts when they were on a big markdown. I would have bought more but the limit was three (in fact I had five and they made me put two back).

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Food Savers

Postby Deb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

We, too, use a Food Saver. For camping, though, we prefer the Lock and Lock style of container. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. We like them because we are assured (as well as anyone can) of having a tight, waterproof seal. There is a great rubber gasket around the upper rim to keep the seal tight. We do not have to worry about what does and doesn't get into the melting ice. Best of all, it's more eco-friendly than the Food Saver bags...and I'm all for being as green as I can be when I out in the great outdoors!
Deb
Teardrop Builder

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Jst83 wrote:Had the big food saver gave it away when I found the Reynolds Handi Vac
Use it all the time, battery powered, ziplock type bags so there easy to unseal and then reseal. great for keeping dry stuff dry in the cooler

And so easy a 4 year old can use it

Image :lol:

I have stopped using my Foodsaver since I bought this Handi Vac. So much easier!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

A good source of inexpensive bags

Postby Sandyman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 pm

I have an old "Seal a Meal" which I believe is an early model of a food saver. I have used it for years for wilderness camping meals. I pre measure all the ingredients for a meal, combining what I can seal away. I then seal ingredients and the recipe in a 2nd bag so everything is at hand. Where I live the milk come in 1 liter plastic bags which work great with the seal a meal, and they do not cost anything extra to get.

Sandy :)
Sandyman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby xrover » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Just picked up a foodsaver. I read somewhere that sealing clean icecubes, not only provides some additional cooling for the cooler, but you can use the water after the ice melts.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:21 am

xrover wrote:Just picked up a foodsaver. I read somewhere that sealing clean icecubes, not only provides some additional cooling for the cooler, but you can use the water after the ice melts.

Smart idea! :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:27 pm

I've got a spare set of bearings all packed in grease ready to go and sealed. Carry them in my camping tool box. I've never needed them on anything in the past...just one of those things my dad did and it carried over. Watch...I'll leave them home sometime and that's when I'll need them....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby conbrio » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:04 am

I saw at Target on a clearance endcap the Renyolds vacuum foodsaver baggies for 30% off. I think these were the quart size
conbrio
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:17 pm

What a tariffic learning converstion this is.

I love learning and I think I will want one of these for my camping ... etc.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 pm

sdtripper2 wrote:Soup:
Make uP soup and put plastic wrap in the bowls and put soup in the bowls
Then freeze the bowls of soup. Take the bowls out of the freezer and pull out
the individual soups and FoodSaver them. Then when you want to use the
soup you can just pull out preformed soup shaped bowls and put them in
the bowls again. Microwave or heat in on the stove and fresh soup is your reward.

we do not have a oven or microwave on board but I told my wife about this and she said you can boil the bags and then serve them.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:54 pm

I got one today going camping at end of april and will use iit.
for those who are looking for one in walmart it is not with the food vacs but with the papertowels, alum foil, and zip locks. paid around 15 for Vac 1 box small bags and 1 box large bags.
Thanks for the tip .....
Ron d. ;) :thumbsup:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:11 pm

I use my Foodsaver for meats. I think it does a terrific job. But on occasion, when an item thaws, the bag is no longer tight to the meat. It's not freezer burned, just loose in the bag. Did I not seal it right?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets