Easy, offbeat fire starters

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Jst83 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:08 am

EffieRover wrote:Cotton lint off your socks; tissues. And a match.

Belly Button Lint :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sushidog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:59 pm

I have used C-4 as a fire starter with excellent results - it burns like Sterno, just hotter.

How does one obtain C-4? I've heard of some people cutting open Claymores or melting it out of opened grenades, but that's too much work (and maybe a little dangerous) not to mention damaging good ordinance. It's far easier just to pull a M112 stick out of a satchel charge (M183), cut off a small slice, and put it back. You get to start your fire and keep your ordinance. :twisted:

Don't try stomping the fire out though, or you could lose a leg. :O

All out of satchel charges? I guess you could use a little Sterno, but where's the fun in that? :wacky

If you want to start a large bonfire, there's always napalm... but that's another story. Ran out of Napalm? You can get some more here: http://www.napalm.net/ j/k ;)
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dakotamouse » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:14 pm

We use "magic wood"! Seriously. Where my husband works they had an old cedar fence blow down. My husband cut up the boards and brought them home. To light a fire we make a little box out of four pieces of the wood, fill with crumpled newspaper, lay one piece of wood across the top and light the paper. It's frightening how quick the cedar wood takes off. Makes you wonder about how safe cedar shake shingles are and why anyone would fence in their house with something so flamable.

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Once, I tried an experiment with one cardboard egg carton and several different ingredients. The carton was a 12-pack job and I used four things - dryer lint, wood chips, wooden match heads (broken off) and charcoal. I put each ingredient into 3 different cups and poured melted wax over the whole mess and after it cooled I cut the cups up separate chunks.

I liked the charcoal the best because even after the wax has burned off, the coal still is glowing red hot which is great for damp wood that needs some extra heat to burn off the moisture. Three or four of them in a wet pile are nice on a canoe trip......... :twisted:

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:00 am

Charcoal hum :thinking:

Now I know what to do with all the crumbs in the bottom of the
bag :thumbsup:

One of the tent campers at our last gathering gave me a fire starter of his design. He simply took a " block of 2x4 and drilled a 3" hole in it's side not quite thru with a forsner bit and stuffed all the shavings backin the hole. Coated with candle wax from candles gathered at odd yard sales and such, this was his fire starter.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pjsauls » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Here is the Southeast, small sticks of "Lightard"are often used. These are split from pitch pine (longleaf pine) knots still to be found in the woods and pastures. Knots in this case are the undecayed boles of tree branches & roots - can be decades & decades old due to the pitch. There still exist property corners that were marked with them in the 20's & 30's.

"Lightard" got its name from early settlers -- hunters and others used them for torches at night. It was the right wood to "light".

JS :campfire:
"Fate is the hunter for those least prepared." -Ernest K. Gann
pjsauls
Donating Member

Postby sushidog » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Wow I haven't heard or thought of lightard knots since I was kid.

We used to call it "fat lighter" down here in Louisiana.
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fireaunt » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 pm

If you like long matches to light a fire either a campfire or home fireplce, you can take strips of newspaper and roll it up. You don't roll it real tight. One end should be about the size of a pencil. When it gets about 8"-12' fold the other end over and it will stay rolled. My sis keeps some on her mantle to light the fireplace logs, she doesn't have a gas starter. You use a match to start the folded end which is just single thickness. Because it gets more layers it burns slower. Can you get the idea?
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:26 pm

If you're really bored, save some bottle caps, melt some wax into them with string (like a wick) and use them to start your camp fires. It last long enough to get your tinder going. I have a abundance of these at home and when I go camping I fill an "Altoids" can (spray painted green) with my fire starters.

They work great! :thumbsup:

Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby jadine » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:43 am

We just keep most of the firewood in the trunk so it stays dry, and use twisted-up junk mail for tinder. Guess we're boring that way ;)

Though I have enjoyed camping with folks who kept the bare ground burning with a white gas spill :D
jadine
Teardrop Inspector

Postby devigata » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:26 am

We carry last year's phone book and use a few pages under twigs.
devigata
Donating Member

Tinder

Postby RN » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Dryer lint burns well, and you can accumulate a mass of it in between camping trips. You can also buy a fire starter log from any grocery store and cut it into small chips when you want to start a fire and not use all of the log in one burn.
RN
Teardrop Builder

Postby M B Hamilton » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Puffed cheetos.

Side benefit, you probably won't want to eat them anymore after you see how they burn.

M B Hamilton
Teardrop Master

Postby yuskis1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 pm

i always bring a bag full of dryer lint with us. works every time and i always have plenty of it.
yuskis1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rvankeur » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:53 pm

Ed says:

LOX

Estes rocket engine with cardboard removed - used with supplied ignitor

Grind up a road flare

He mentioned something about Dreft detergent.

Me? I stand nearby with the wound care kit.
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets