screen house value

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

screen house value

Postby tk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:48 pm

A local garage sale is offering a once-used Ozark Trail (Wal-Mart) 13' x 9'
screen house for $60. Model #1390S. Anybody have experience with Wal-Mart screen houses? Is this a bargain? I was thinking of offering $40 to see if it's still there tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Re: screen house value

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:51 pm

tk wrote:A local garage sale is offering a once-used Ozark Trail (Wal-Mart) 13' x 9'
screen house for $60. Model #1390S. Anybody have experience with Wal-Mart screen houses? Is this a bargain? I was thinking of offering $40 to see if it's still there tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tom

Here ya go. This is my Ozark screenhouse/hammock setup for camping. It's 12 X 9 and not 13 X 9, but they are giving these things away at your local Walmart (not online). I got mine on sale for about 20 bucks. In fact, it was so low I got two. I would say a definite no to $40 at this garage sale. Heck, even online retail is cheaper.

For my application, I've been very pleased with it so far and it's easy to set up by yourself. However, don't think of it as any kind of "heavy-duty" protection, and definitely stake it and use your guy lines too.

Scott G.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4664263

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=8571751

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:37 pm

...yeah, I agree, I have a 14x14 model, that I paid 45 bucks for, on sale at Wally World, 4r5years ago...one thing though, mine has more poles than carter has pills and putting it up can be similar to a monkey making love to a football...but it is darn nice when your finished...I also have a hi=dollar 10x10 PhaQue screen room, that was presented to me by some appreciative board members, that has 2 poles, goes up quickly, has roll up, solid side wall as well and is basically waterproof when erected...even though it is smaller, the walls are almost straight up and down and gives almost as much cover as the 14x14...ya gets what ya pays for...doanchano.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Got a picture of that? the PahaQue of course! (Your picture, not the advertising stuff...)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby satch » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:52 pm

I bought the 12x9 afew years back, finally used it last trip. Went up easy, 10 minutes by myself. 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:58 pm

mikeschn wrote:Got a picture of that? the PahaQue of course! (Your picture, not the advertising stuff...)

Mike...

...only one I have...it was "borrowed" from someones pics from LCGII....... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:05 pm

good picture... thanks!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:27 pm

I bought a brand new Ozark Trail 15' x 13' screen house online at Walmart for $45 and had it shipped to the store so there was no shipping fee. $60 is way to much.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:41 pm

madjack wrote:...yeah, I agree, I have a 14x14 model, that I paid 45 bucks for, on sale at Wally World, 4r5years ago...one thing though, mine has more poles than carter has pills and putting it up can be similar to a monkey making love to a football...but it is darn nice when your finished...I also have a hi=dollar 10x10 PhaQue screen room, that was presented to me by some appreciative board members, that has 2 poles, goes up quickly, has roll up, solid side wall as well and is basically waterproof when erected...even though it is smaller, the walls are almost straight up and down and gives almost as much cover as the 14x14...ya gets what ya pays for...doanchano.........
madjack 8)

:lol: The visuals are killin' me with that monkey and the football. But anyhow, being gifted a PahaQue screen room is quite a gesture and says a lot about you MadJack, as well as this board. Their screenrooms are very nice (and not to sound tacky) but quite expensive too. PahaQue makes that same screenroom specifically for Little Guy Teardrops and I'm sure with a little tweaking could be universal for most Teardrop applications.

But Tom, you will be hard pressed to find the equivalent in just raw mosquito netting for the price of a Walmart screenroom. I know, I priced it. And I think the threshold for easy, one-person set up is right at the 12 X 9 model. Anything larger and you get into Carter's pill box with additional poles.
:lol:

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pass.

Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:09 pm

I bought a 15'x15' octogon shaped one from K-Mart last summer for $50 on sale and broke a spring in one pole trying to put that annoying thing up the very first time. It went back to it's home at K-Mart. Wouldn't pay more than $25 at yard sale.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:41 am

A friend gave me a 12 X 12 screen room (no floor type) from Wal-mart a few years ago, lotsa poles and lotsa hands needed to put it together. It only got put up once, sat around a few years then went out in a garage sale. I wouldn't rule out having a better quality, more user friendly one though.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby moreforles » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:33 pm

I had a 12x12 for a couple years..... had it set up over the grill (I'ld roll the grill back under it after lighting the grill and letting the flames died down) it allowed for grilling on rainy days and hot sunny days, without getting sunburned.....

it got caught in a extremely windy thunderstorm, when I was at work and one of the spikes worked loose and it tore itself to peices in the wind...

I kept the netting for a few years, thinking about using it for making fishing (bait) net or just bug free inclosure for tent.... but never got around to it and it ended up getting thrown out (one of the few things I ever threw out......)

so regardless of which type you get, make sure its anchored well, and/or put it away when not in use....

I've now got a 12x12 collapsible sunshade, which has white metal frame and dark green cover (which heats up pretty bad on sunny days.... which might be nice in spring and fall.... but in the summer time, heat from the cover, isn't much better than being in direct sunlight....except maybe sunburn aspect)
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Return to Camping Secrets