Camp Stove selection

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Camp Stove selection

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:15 pm

Yes after many years of service I am thinking of going to a propane stove and could use some feedback. The two front runners are Camp Chef's Big Gas Grill 3 (http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=35808647) or Camp Chef's Outdoor Camp oven (http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=35803215)

Has anyone used any of these products? I am weighing out the pros and cons before I make my decision as I am not in too much of a hurry since I have a good old fashioned Coleman white gas stove.

:thinking:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:25 pm

A couple years ago the camp stove/oven was the talk of the forum. Dean has one, he can tell you all about it.

I asked Chell if she wanted one, and she said, "No, I don't want to cook much, and I really don't want to BAKE at all while camping". So no camp oven for us.

I'll be doing most of the cooking, grilling, and d.o.ing.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Nytewyng » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:00 pm

I have the camp chef 3 , actually bought on closeout at the local Lowes for 100.00. If we are camping with a group of friends Ill take along. Actually bought it for the wife to use outdoors for canning so we dont heat up the house. For regular weekend camping we have a coleman 2 burner and the "pig" Image

Gotta love the pig for hibachi cooking , came with skewers, and a griddle top too
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:04 pm

I like your little pig. You put my little baby keg grill to shame... :cry:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby prohandyman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 pm

I don't want to cook much, and I really don't want to BAKE at all while camping".

I think my wife said the exact same words. She even takes a crock pot with dinners in it, and makes me cook breakfast so she won't even have to use the stove!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mandy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Nytewyng wrote:I have the camp chef 3 , actually bought on closeout at the local Lowes for 100.00. If we are camping with a group of friends Ill take along. Actually bought it for the wife to use outdoors for canning so we dont heat up the house. For regular weekend camping we have a coleman 2 burner and the "pig" Image

Gotta love the pig for hibachi cooking , came with skewers, and a griddle top too

OMG I love that pig. Where did you get it?

Have Fun
Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby sid » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:12 pm

As for a basic stove, we prefer the Century stoves over the Coleman's, simply because we hate that metal propane tube Coleman uses. The Century comes with a rubber hose that is much more user friendly.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:37 pm

prohandyman wrote:
I don't want to cook much, and I really don't want to BAKE at all while camping".

I think my wife said the exact same words. She even takes a crock pot with dinners in it, and makes me cook breakfast so she won't even have to use the stove!

:thumbsup: couple of real smart women. :applause: We have a Coleman two burner and it doesn't regulate well. My favorite is the butane stove. It works great.

Another member mentioned using an electric hotplate. That is next on my list. My daughter uses an electric sandwich maker to make omlets and a breakfast pizza like thing. Her family loves them. If you are wired for electric you might consider it also.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Yes, I too covet the Iron Pig but I have to ease back to the coal thing. I am very curious to why you don't always take along the camp chef 3, Nytewyng? Is it too cumbersome, doesn't simmer well? Get as nit picky as you can.

The Century stove is a good idea that I didn't even think of going in.

To give everyone a bit of what is roling around concerning the stove decision here you go: Right now when we go camping, my wife does 95% of the cooking. I am blessed with the first thing in the morning coffee brewing. At home it is around 60% to 40% my favor. My wife does relax by backing so one with an oven is not a bad idea. She is also getting keen on the idea of Dutch Oven baking. With 30,000 BTU, I could do a heck of a stir fry....

:thinking:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Conestoga » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:41 pm

We cook primarily with propane, and white gas when going light. However with a trailer we're going to end up in some sites that have electricity included, so why not use it, particularly for hot water & breakfast.

Don't want to lug two sets of cookware or get electric appliances or an expensive induction burner. The only thing I can think of is a hot plate type electric burner, but I suspect the common ones are wimpy...

Any suggestions?
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 pm

my campground stove consists of an electric fry pan, a george foreman grill and a microwave (paper plates and bowls.)
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I have the $34 stove from Harbor Freight. It does just fine. I did notice they now have one for an extra $10 that has "Auto ignition". That would be handy.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby iplay10us2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:34 pm

For the most part, I have always used a Coleman 2 Burner propane stove.
However, after seeing someone else post about the Cadac Safari Chef grill:

http://cadacsafarichef.safarichefgrill.com/

I have ordered one and it should be here next week. I like that this gives me a lot of cooking options all in one. I really like the wok part because I do like to cook lots of veggies. The Coleman stove burners do limit the size of the pot you can use with them.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mightydog » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:55 pm

sid wrote:As for a basic stove, we prefer the Century stoves over the Coleman's, simply because we hate that metal propane tube Coleman uses. The Century comes with a rubber hose that is much more user friendly.

+1 for sure.

They're $62 at REI. Great stove. Works every time. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

It comes with self-starting burners which are very easy to control. The heat goes low enough to scramble eggs without burning them. High recommendation here. The only down side is the bag that comes with it. The zipper is kind of weak. It's going to get replaced before next camping season, I hope.

Here's the REI site.
http://www.rei.com/product/737002?prefe ... erralID=NA[/b]
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greekspeedoman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:20 pm

greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets