Camp Stove selection

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:55 am

I know the new primus oden stainless has received good reviews in Finland and Sweden however that particular one has been good except the side wings have been said to be poorly made with sharp edges as well as very thin metal.. This is only what I have read no real hands on experience with it.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:21 am

slowcowboy wrote:any one ever used one of the propane fired crock pots. or ever used one of the propane fired skillets?

I have a few wood fired ones............Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby deceiver » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 pm

We're using a rather large but formidable Camp Chef double burner. Each is 30,000 btu's so it heats really really fast. pretty much like an in home gas stove. It also has easily slip on legs which I often use too.

Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby TD Beej » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:15 am

I just got this from REI http://www.rei.com/product/737001, was $20 more for the stainless but then shipping was free so the net extra cost was probably closer to $10. Anyway I had a question, what's the difference between the Primus and the Century stoves (or the texsport or the stansport) They all look the same with the only real differences being the finish/color and feature level. I guess I have another question which is how fast do those little propane tanks run out, how many will I need to take with me.

Thanks, Beej
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby Ratkity » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:53 am

I'm looking at the coleman grill + burner stove right now. I read bad things about the Texsport version. I'm hoping to get a low bid on one on ebay.

They run about $109 at REI (down the street from me).

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:28 pm

deceiver wrote:We're using a rather large but formidable Camp Chef double burner. Each is 30,000 btu's so it heats really really fast. pretty much like an in home gas stove. It also has easily slip on legs which I often use too.

I have one of these also. I had a 3/16" aluminum plate cut to fit, so it doubles as a Dutch Oven table.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby d30gaijin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Conestoga wrote:I just got a cheap electric single burner and tested it out. It does truly get hot. :thumbsup: thanks Miriam

New for this trip is a "Sportsman" propane single burner which we're also pleased with:

Like Conestoga I bought one of these but mine is the two burner model. Seems to be well enough made and fairly heavy duty (might be a bit much for a teardrop but works well in my cargo trailer conversion, as well as around the house when the power goes out). $60. It's wide enough for two pretty good size skillets/pans. You can see it here: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200433963_200433963

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Mightydog » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 pm

TD Beej wrote: I guess I have another question which is how fast do those little propane tanks run out, how many will I need to take with me.

We use ours daily when we're camping. Ours last about three weeks to a month. We usually buy them in the two-pack so one is on the stove and one is in the nice little side pocket of the bag that the stove goes in. When we get into the second one, we go buy another two-pack.

It's a drag running out of propane during breakfast.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Justin & Katy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:22 pm

bobhenry wrote:Don't ask me I have a white gas coleman 2 burner I picked up for $10.00 at a yard sale. Used it once.

I'm telling ya...nothing beats a two burner Coleman liquid fuel stove. It has the potential to burn hotter than propane ever wished it could. I have talked to some people who have had trouble boiling water with propane in the mountains. Just sayin...

Besides, you'll never find a propane stove that looks this cool.

Justin & Katy
Teardrop Master

Postby TD Beej » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:39 pm

I wouldn't mind getting the liquid fuel Coleman and if I find one at a garage sale for a reasonable price I'll go for it.

On our camping trip last weekend we used one propane bottle, we used it plenty and the problem I had was that we were getting to much heat off of it. It was a delicate balance to get the right heating. We were near sea level so going to altitude will probably help the usability. All I can say is it was a good upgrade to trying to do everything over the campfire.

Thanks for all the info,
Beej
Last edited by TD Beej on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby Visionsbydarrah » Tue May 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Has anyone here used a Coleman skillet?
I've been thinking about getting one, but would like some real world input.
So what are the pro's and con's?
Pat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
2015 LittleGuy MyPod.
My YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/TheVisionsbydarrah
Visionsbydarrah
Teardrop Master

Postby Visionsbydarrah » Tue May 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Slowcowboy, thanks for the input.
I believe I will get one for my next road trip.
Pat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
2015 LittleGuy MyPod.
My YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/TheVisionsbydarrah
Visionsbydarrah
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Gary and Cheri wrote:
You've made me think. Why pay for electicity and use propane?

Gary

Making me think too....an electric hotplate for when I have electricity (hopefully most of the time) and a butane burner for when I don't. Throw in a small hibatchi grill for burgers and that sounds like a complete setup to me.

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby pmowers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:58 pm

slowcowboy wrote:any one ever used one of the propane fired crock pots. or ever used one of the propane fired skillets?
If you can put a tank on it we have probably used it. The Coleman Crock Pot tends to burn everything in the middle of the bottom. We created a flame spreader and attached to the burner after taking an hour to scrub the carbonized roast out of the pot. They have a new model out that is a combination crock/skillet/griddle which looks like they may have learned their lesson, but it is pretty expensive. The propane skillet, on the other hand, is a joy to cook with. I have used it to do everything from pan sear steaks, salmon and tuna, to making jambalaya, meat sauce for spaghetti to eggs, pancakes and sausage. Piece of cake to clean as well.

My buddy was getting ready for a week-long fishing trip and had all of his gear laid out in the living room when his wife2B walked in. While she was looking over the coffeemaker, crockpot, skillet, lanterns, oven and stove, all propane powered, he told her the propane microwave was still in the storage building. She was telling her co-workers the next day, and mentioned the microwave while the electrician was walking by, stopping him dead in his tracks, while he set her straight. When she got home, my buddy couldn't get out of town fast enough
:lol:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Conestoga wrote:So all who've posted this thread recently (except Arne) boil water and do eggs using propane even when you've paid for a site with electric hookup?

So let's say you've set up a campground queen teardrop that runs only on electric. And you end up at a campground that doesn't have electric. What do you do?

Can't cook, cause your stove is electric.

No lights, cause they are all electric too!

Or do you pack 2 stoves, and wire for two sets of lights? How about 2 sets of furnaces, and 2 sets of air conditioners? :? :? :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets