Tubular Spice storage for the galley

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby tinksdad » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:32 pm

I use these for geocaching PNG's and LPC's; but I think they would make great spice bottles for the tear galley.

This is the cheapest place I've found to get them...
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1367
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Alleged User » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:27 am

cuyeda wrote:Kelly and Duke,
Those are awewome! I like it!

They do rock. Glad I'm not the only one who likes 'em. You can find them on ebay with no problem for a song, although unused ones aren't as common. Besides the nostalgia factor, they appeal to me because all four of these pieces are the same exact size, minus the pumps. Appeals to my sense of order in the kitchen. If you find the dispensers, make sure they have the caps...gotta have the caps, especially for camping...and for orderliness, lol. :R
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Tinksdad's version (above) looks very camper-friendly...and un-breakable! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gaelen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Well, while I still use clear 35mm film cans for most of my on-the-road spices, one thing you guys might want to check out at the Science Store are Nalgene capped flat-bottomed centrifuge tubes. The 125 ml size holds about twice as much as a film cannister.

Yep, 70s Tupperware (harvest colors - yellow, avocado green, rust orange and brown) are the plates, mugs and bowls in my kitchen kit. I even found silverware that matched (and the Light My Fire sporks are a nice modern-day color complement.)

I've got the square lunch plates, too, but no pic of them.

The bowls:

The mugs:

As I've moved into kind of a sunflowers and Tuscany color scheme, they just seem to be a perfect match. i got some of the stuff at a garage sale, and some of the stuff on eBay, brand new, less than $1/piece.

Gotta say, anything that's survived this long has gotta have some good points. And I'm a big fan on non-breakable kitchenware when camping.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:57 am

I get 4 differnt heart meds a month. So after 2 years I have a box of pill bottles. They work great and have locking lids that won't open on the road.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Keyser Sose » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:40 pm

not spices per se, but very related.... take an empty "CoffeeMate" plastic jar (any size), tear off the label. You now have a white plastic, air/water proof jar, with a built in pour spout, and a removeable lid on a wide mouth opening.
I have used them for years to store rice, beans, pasta, etc in, and just write the contents on the side with a sharpie.To store long-term, or more securely, run a strip of duct tape up over the top.

And for bigger storage, I love the 28 lb cat litter buckets! They hold about 4 gallons, have hinged lids, and are square, so they actually will set right in the corner. Pretty handy! Upside down they make decent stools too!

:thumbsup:
It's duck season! Shoot me now!
Keyser Sose
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets