Tubular Spice storage for the galley

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Tubular Spice storage for the galley

Postby cuyeda » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:06 am

I guess I'm on a roll, second post in this section today. I always like to share what I consider good ideas that others may like as much as I do. With all the creative ways teadroppers try to save space for all the camping gear, I thought this was a great way for avid culinary chefs. Ok, even for someone like me who likes to add a dash of this or that for more flavor when trying to throw something together to call it a meal.

Ok, so it's just a bunch of glass tubes with a cork, but if you liked the idea where do you buy it. ;-)

Tube spice storage:
ImageImageImage

There are a bunch of other gadgets to provide utility, and perhaps a bit of bling to your galley. Like these magnetic canisters.

http://www.tubularspices.com
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:12 am

I, for one, don't know how to cook without my spices!! :?

I really like the metal ones. They look a lot better than the 35MM film canisters with masking tape labels I have been using while SST camping. The clear tops will make it easier to determine when to restock as well.

I can't talk my grl friend into camping; but I may be able to convince her I really NEED these!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:43 am

We have the magnet ones for our home and they work great. I do like the test tube idea. I am leaning towards the Baby Soda Bottle: Test Tube and rack.http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1389 Inexpensive and tough two of my favorite combos.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:49 pm

This is what I just finished. The jars are all antiques and are in good shape. Just need to be filled and relabled.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:39 am

Keeping to my late 70s/early 80s era Tupperware theme for the galley, I picked up on ebay Tupperware spice cannisters from that decade. They were the right colors, but I really don't like the design. Except for things like chile powder, they hold way too much, almost a half cup (good spices go south really quickly in summer heat/humidity storage.) So I went back to my 35mm film cannisters, which I can fill to suit every couple of trips. They also fit neatly into my kitchen kit.

I did manage to score clear film canisters from the supermarket photo center, so I can quickly check the amounts (each one holds about 2 1/2 tablespoons, more than enough for a couple weekends). And I did pick up a set of spice labels on a clear plastic backing at the dollar store, so they don't look like I'm just improvising my kitchen. I meant to recycle. ;)

But I do like those test tubes...maybe for my home spice collection. ;)
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 am

Glass bouncing around in the tear worries me a bit but if you look just below the outlets you will see a wall mounted spice rack.

I use the steralite tall square storage containers ( about 4x6 by 9" tall) for dry goods like flour , sugar , corn meal and such. I have found the McDonald milk chugs with their screw off lids are an excellent size for smaller amounts of dry goods like corn starch or baking powder and baking soda ( baking soda is an excellent pot scrubbing agent) and larger amounts of spices. You can see them on the shelves in this shot best of all they are being reused rather than in a land fill

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Py0tr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:43 am

Gaelen wrote:Keeping to my late 70s/early 80s era Tupperware theme....

Finally a mention of Tupperware! It's been around almost as long as Teardrops. surely it is the only option?

My kitchen at home contains only Tupperware, my Tear will be exactly the same. Not just spice and herb storage but dry and frozen goods, tea, coffee and naturally the plates knives and forks too.

Oh yes I am a Tupperware demonstrator too :applause:
Py0tr
Teardrop Master

Postby ajricher » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:05 am

Tupperware... {shudder}... :D

I grew up a few miles from where that stuff is/was made in Rhode Island...knew lots of people worked for them at one time or another.

As far as the spice storage, I buy tea from a company in Upton, MA. (Upton Tea company - recommended if you like good tea!) Their variety packs come in small containers like the magnetic ones, but not shiny and no magnet.

Nice thing is - a row of them in a small plastic container (set end to end) will not open even under the roughest handling, and are easily accessed when cooking. Best part is recycling the original containers - free is a great price... :lol:

Alan
ajricher
Teardrop Master

Re: Tubular Spice storage for the galley

Postby godskid » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:34 pm

cuyeda wrote:Ok, so it's just a bunch of glass tubes with a cork, but if you liked the idea where do you buy it. ;-)

Possibly at American Science Surplus
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/7

Lots of shapes of little bottles. No test tubes today, but the stock changes all the time. No test tube holder though.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:59 pm

I bought a couple of these and they work pretty well. I keep in the fridge at home, and then pack them up when it is time to camp.

http://www.rei.com/product/630590
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:33 pm

Here's a plastic alternative...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,43326
They also sell the canisters, etc,

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Gaelen wrote:Keeping to my late 70s/early 80s era Tupperware theme for the galley...

All right! Another Tupperware fan. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I picked up these salt and pepper shakers, and then the ketch and mustard dispensers for my TD galley. Found some unused ones on etsy and ebay, and I love them. I can't wait to 'install' them on their custom-fitted shelf. Image
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby cuyeda » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Kelly and Duke,
Those are awewome! I like it!
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:20 pm

As I recall, glass lab-style test tubes (which appears to be what they are using) break rather easily. They slip out of people’s hands and invariably, someone will lay one down on a counter. In a teardrop, that would probably mean that it would roll onto the ground and smash.

The metal canisters look really nice and are probably a better solution.

I've been kind of looking for the old fashioned metal spice cans. Watkins, Inc still puts their spices in them. The cans are approximately 1.25"W x 2.25" D x 3.25" H and have a plastic lid with sprinkle and spooning areas. I can find some locally but they do have a website at:

http://www.jrwatkins.com/jrwatkins/stor ... ountry=Usa

Penzeys Spices also sells jars. Theirs are a heavy glass with a plastic screw lid. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... sjars.html

...Just a couple ideas for you. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ageless » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:08 pm

First off . . . .a pepper shaker??? Never! I will only use a pepper mill.

Years ago, planning another project; I bought a set (limited) of Ball canisters; blue glass, rubber seals and bails, that will go in the Palace.

While I travel, I will also keep several small pots of fresh herbs.

I saw yhat 6-in-1 today at Fred Meyer (Kroger) a $1 less than REI
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets