Water Purifier

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Water Purifier

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Now as a kid we used to drink from mountain streams with no problem. We didn't worry about Beaver Feaver and all those nasty microbes that you worry about as you get older. I normally take my clean water with me since you never know what you are going to find camping. Does anyone steralize their water or are familar with techniques?

Has anyone tried this: http://www.steripen.com/steripen_products.html

I have done the boiling and the chemicle thing however I am really curious to how well this system works.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:17 pm

The last time I drank water out of the lake, it was up at Pictured Rocks, out of Lake Superior. And even then I boiled it.

I'm not familar with that Steripin thingie... but I would shy away from the chemical stuff, and stick with boiling...

Of course if I am wrong, you'd better tell me now. I hoping to head up north before winter, to drink water out of the lake again!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Bill_Storey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Here is a poop sheet by Phred Tinseth that covers water filtration and purifying. Phred used to write for some of the rv magazines and seems to know what he is talking (or writing) about.
Bill_Storey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Good info Bill. :thumbsup: I wasn't thinking about my tanks on my trailer. It's small and I use tap water.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rasp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 pm

i use one of these http://www.purwaterfilter.com/purguidpursy.html when out kayaking. though a bit large for hiking. pur does have smaller ones.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby Wos » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:30 pm

I just picked up an MSR miniworks ceramic filter pump unit and a two part liquid (prestine brand) water treatment from MEC.ca. I'm not planning on drinking directly out of any lakes where I camp but may have to resort to well water and hopefully some mountain streams.
Wos
Teardrop Builder

Postby kurtibm » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:33 am

I use this when hiking & backpacking - convienent, light & inexpensive.... http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_frontier_pro_filter.html

Or sometimes Aqua Mira (the US version of Canada's Pristine)

For larger quantities, I can see the benefits of the Steripen.
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Water filtration

Postby Prem » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 pm

There's a filter called MULTI-PURE that takes out chemicals and micro-organisms like Giardia. Been using one since 1988 at home and in the RV...even in Mexico. We don't get sick any more.

They are stainless on the outside with a highly compressed carbon block on the inside.

If you can't find one, let me know. I've got a new one in the box. ([email protected])

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Water Filtration

Postby youandi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Here is what we use, Great product.

Click Here: Katadyn Water Filter
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

youandi
Teardrop Advisor

Water Filter for camping

Postby Prem » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:33 pm

About the Katadyn from Campmor:

It's a hand pump model for backpacking. I got backpacking deep in the Sierras and the Grand Canyon on 4-5 day trips. I take a Stansport hand pump water filter that does exactly what the Katayn does, i.e. filter giardia and cryptosporidium cysts out of the water. Mine costs $39.95 vs. the Katadyn for over $200.00.

I would never take my backpacking water filter on a camping trip with my trailer. Pumping takes effort and time. I the bigger, solid carbon block filter that filters out cysts AND chemicals (like chlorine and its byproducts). Plus I got it wholesale. It's got a good flow rate either hooked up to a hose faucet or gravity fed. Picture at:

www.multipure.com
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby razorback » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:42 pm

These two filters are what I use in the back woods of Kodiak Alaska.
The first unit is for base camp. Lets you purify 2.5 gallons of water at a time by hanging bag from a tree while you do other things.
http://tinyurl.com/5z7wjm
The second filter is what we use when we hike up river a few miles to fish.
http://tinyurl.com/64fk7j
I have used both products for several years with great results.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 pm

I tend to boil any water that I do know for certain where it came from. As a Former Water plant worker and supervisor, I know that two microorganisms are not killed by chlorination alone - only really good filters get them - or boiling. Cryptosporidium and Geridia cysts are about 5 microns, and can be as small as 3 – they develop a hard shell that is impervious to the effects of chlorine. Any of those pill purifiers – in not used with a GOOD filter will allow them to pass unharmed into your digestive tract – and let me assure you that if this happens – you will see yesterday’s lunch again – at either end!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Steripen

Postby Sandyman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:13 am

My friend daughter used one while traveling through the far east and Australia for 6 months. She had no problems. I have one and have used it while camping and have had no problems with the machine or the treated water. The only draw back is that the Steripen does not work well in cloudy or silted water. They say that in their instructions. Clear the dirt out of the water then use the the machine.

I really like mine. :thumbsup:

Sandy :)
Sandyman
Teardrop Advisor

Pure

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:00 am

This looks interesting as a possibility

www.adventurerv.net/tastepure-cx90-cera ... -3315.html
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:14 am

Back in my backpacking days, I used a Sweetwater filter. I believe MSR bought Sweetwater (MSR is owned by REI).

A lot of people I knew used Katydyn, too. The Sweetwater I had was a lot easier to pump than most of the filters available at the time. The filter I had also had a carbon filtration element to take the nasty taste out of lake water. That was very important to me.

MSR camp equipment used to be exclusive to REI, but now a lot of outdoor and sporting goods stores carry the brand.

CD
Last edited by caseydog on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets