Any chuck box users?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Any chuck box users?

Postby shoeman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:00 am

I'm thinking I'd like to build a Chuck Box (Range Box or Patrol Box to the scouts that is) this winter.
Any of you guys have one we could see pictures of, etc?

TIA,
Geoff
99% of the way done with a Generic Benroy. Only because these might never be done if you like to tinker. But it's on the road!
shoeman
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 am

" Patrol box " brings up about 100 hits and there are many good designs!

I tried a search because this has come up before about a year ago and there were several real pretty ones submitted. I built a clunky looking one then that I am still using. Was tired of a stiff back trying to use the picnic table and wanted something counter height ( 35 - 36 " ) Build it with light sandwich construction or it will weigh a ton like mine. Sorry no pics but there are others who will chime in.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby alffink » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:02 am

Ya may want to check out "Blue Sky Kitchens" a modular system based on the traditional chuck box, but much lighter. They have several plans, kits and ready made. Build your own, simple when your building a tear and might give you some different ideas for the galley to boot.
8)

http://blueskykitchen.com/index.html
alffink
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 am

Bought my steel chuck box from Cabelas 15 years ago. Still using it.

Would love to build a custom one (to setup on my teardrop's tongue). Many great designs on the web. Big Boy Scout thing to do.

Good luck!
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 am

I have one that I built "pre-TD". It is now tucked in a corner of my garage. If you want it you can come and get it.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 am

I bought a big plastic tool box and put all my utensils, dishes, and pots & pans in it. Paid $40 for it 15 years ago at the big box store and am still really happy with it. With what you've already got, you could get one of these and just hang a removable counter on your existing galley if you need extra counter space. When my trailer is built, I will probably convert this baby to food storage because I can wheel it to & from the bear box. The pull handle is shown out but it slides in, out of the way. Closed up, it measures about 15x23". I'll try to imbed a pic; but this'll be my first try and I may flub it:

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 am

Okay, I flub-a-dub-dubbed it! Don't know what I did wrong. I used the IMG bar and thought I followed the instructions that I found. Maybe I hafta put quotes around the stuff before I highlight and click the IMG bar?

Oh, well...Here's the addresses:

http://www.mikenchell.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=41508
http://www.mikenchell.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=41509

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:49 am

Here is one from the Patrol sketchbook that everyone may have already seen. For convenience here are the classic plans. If there are any other good camp build plans that I could add to the collection, let me know.

Click Here.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:56 am

alffink wrote:Ya may want to check out "Blue Sky Kitchens" a modular system based on the traditional chuck box, but much lighter. They have several plans, kits and ready made. Build your own, simple when your building a tear and might give you some different ideas for the galley to boot.
8)

http://blueskykitchen.com/index.html

A member of our local dutch oven society has one of these. very impressive. If I were just starting I would get one of these.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby shoeman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 am

Come on... we build our TD's... so we should build our chuck boxes too. I'm leaning towards a modified BSA box design. The basic one they have used for many decades can be built out of one sheet of plywood and a couple of 2x4's I believe. That'll be cheap enough!
The Bluesky stuff is real nice but more than I think I need since I already have a galley in the TD.
Putting it on the tongue is a good idea. Cabela's now sells the current style stuff which is a fancy table/cook surface idea that is not so much a "box", just a glorified folding table affair. The few models that have storage use nylon bags that hang from the frames. None look like they actually store any gear when traveling. You empty it all when you're packing up, fold the rig up and out it in a carry bag. Seems self defeating unless all you wanted was a portable table. I want to have the capability of having a stove, dish pan, cooking pans, utensils, paper towels, table cloth, etc all in one place and one unit that I can load in the truck and place anywhere on a camp site as an adjunct to the galley.
And besides that...projects are fun! And being able to say you built it yourself when people ask is very satisfying! :)
99% of the way done with a Generic Benroy. Only because these might never be done if you like to tinker. But it's on the road!
shoeman
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Here is a couple

I kinda like the 3 piece modular one you not only have a camp kitchen but you can also utilize it as a table and the boxes as a stool
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Here is the plans I used to build mine. It has removable legs

http://www.scouters.us/patrolbox.html
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Laredo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:53 pm

I wonder if one of the rope-handled ammo boxes at AmSci&Surplus would make a good foundation for a project like this?

I like this design:

The http://home.earthlink.net/~hughmcveigh builder says you can email him if you have questions.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:18 pm

That was the one that was on the old post it's a real beauty.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby shoeman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Now we're talkin'! Like TD's, your imagination is the only limit. Some good links here. It's fun to compare all the examples and figure out what features you like best from each one. And sometimes you get a "eureka" moment when you see something and wonder why you never thought of that.
I like the removeable wings on some of these that can hang utensils or a towel rack. I also think I like having both front and back fold down. Cook on one side, wash dishes on the other without having to move anything.
shoeman
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Camping Secrets