Any chuck box users?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 pm

Yep, looooong before SUV's we had Station Wagons...we had a Rambler880 Classic(car) and Dad built a chuckbox for it with a double hinged front/top so when the trunk was opened the box top opened and layed on the sill of the trunk, making a table, negating the need to remove the box...we used that box for years until a flood got it.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:07 pm

I used a chuck box for years, when I had my first tear and after when I got a pop up. It just sits in storage now. Robbed the pans etc. from it for the tears. It's a great project to get kids involved with. Still got mine...I'll drag it out and take a pic....didn't think about how old it was, but built it in '80. I got the idea from a 50's Mechanics Illustrated encyclopedia collection that a friend had. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Roly Nelson » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 am

I guess I am missing the point of a Tiny Trailer or a Teardrop. Does one have a chuck box because they don't want to do any cooking in your galley, or is a chuck box used out of the back of a pickup, station wagon or an SUV? It looks like it could be a heavy, cumbersome camping accessory, probably carried to the distant picnic table, keeping all cookers and eaters away from the comforts of the teardrop galley.

If chuck boxes are the norm, what use are the drawers, stoves, sinks, slide-outs and cabinetry, so carefully designed and constructed within our compact galleys? Maybe I'm not seeing something here, I guess I don't see the point, since most of my cooking is only done for two, unless you are planning on feeding a whole boyscout troop and want to keep bacon grease, soapy dishwater and cooking messes out of the galley. Just my 2 cents. (who knows, perhaps a chuck box will be my next build)
Roly :thinking:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby PanelDeland » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:48 am

The chuckbox is mostly usd instead of having the trailer and galley.We used ours when car camping.They would be useful for off-roaders who go places a trailer wont fit or doesn't trail well.I think the innovative use for one would be to Tailgate, since many venues charge you for each parking space.One idea I had was to build a galley/chuckbox that could be removed and used as a free standing kitchen for day trips or tailgating.
They would be cumbersome if carried like a portable galley but great for the back of an SUV Using the concept of a removeable galley they might also make a great first build since people who haven't built a trailer yet could use one while car camping and refine their galley without having to redo their trailer.They would have their perfect galley when they installed it in the trailer.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby dsmith » Fri May 01, 2009 3:41 am

As an old Scoutmaster I liked chuck boxes m'self, but finally decided to put mine on wheels, to heavy for 1 person :? I'm posting the build under non-traditional designs - Pack Mule/ Pup Tear but here is a sketch-up model. It measures 48" w x 52" l x 36" d
dsmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dagny » Mon May 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Well, I just bought myself a very vintage patrol box from a widow of a scout master. I bought it on craigslist and drove 30 min to get it. I think it was not a bright idea. I am trying to make sure I can camp on my own with the kids, and that sucker is HEAVY empty. What was I thinking? Oh, well if DH (dear husband) doesn't want it for scouting trips, maybe the troop would like it as a donation. It's very neat and lots of vintage charm. Too big for this mama to carry with only a scrawny 8yr old on the other side. :?
Dagny
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wannabefree » Mon May 04, 2009 8:29 pm

Long ago, in my scoutmaster days, I built a chuckbox as light as I knew how at the time. It was manageable empty, but definitely a 2-man lift when loaded. Whenever I loaded up for a trip I was alone (I kept it at home, we met at the church), so I had to unload it, put it in the truck, refill it... It got tiresome. I found the large plastic storage boxes were lighter, easier to handle, cheaper, and I didn't feel bad when one broke. It's an individual thing, and some will swear by the convenience of a well-designed, well-built, well-organized chuckbox. More power to them. My chuckbox is part of my tear.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Bought a Chuck Box

Postby Alfred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Stopped by the Sportsman's Warehouse in Columbia, SC on the way back from Florida and picked up a Chuck box. They sell for $99.

My plan to incorporate it into my Weekender for 5, because I will have less cabinet space in the camper, due to the sliding bunk bed. I am thinking I can use the chuck box to keep the kitchen stuff organized, use it on a table in conjunction with the TD galley.

From their ad:

Chuckbox is just what you need for your outdoor camp kitchen. Made of heavy duty metal and reinforced hinges - but still light weight and very portable. Easy to lock and keep animals away from food. Keep your kitchen neat and tiddy this summer with the Outdoor Basics Chuckbox.

* Provides compact storage for your camp kitchen accessories
* Clean sanitary work surfaces for cooking cleaning and food preparation
* Side handles for easy transport
* Designed with 24-gauge metal
* Dimensions: 22" x 11" x 14"
* Latch locks to protect food. Lid folds out to create two work surfaces
* Top shelf comes equipped with removable cutting board and can accommodate a two burner stove
* Four-compartment silverware tray, 2 shelves (1 removable) and a paper towel holder
* Includes two-full zip nylon storage bags, paper towel holder, cutting board and tool holder.

Al in Asheville :thumbsup:
Last edited by Alfred on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Alfred,

Mine arrived today. Ordered it within an hour of you mentioning it.

It will compliment my old one. Yeah, right.

:lol:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby traildemon » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:56 pm

hiker chick wrote:Alfred,

ok HC: don't tease us! :cry:
lets see some pics gurl!
a link where you found it wouold be better... ;)
peace
:peace:
al
traildemon
Teardrop Advisor

New Chuckbox

Postby Alfred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:14 pm

hiker chick wrote:Alfred,

That's great! What do you think of it? I think mine will work out well in my camper. Been trying to figure out how to compensate for the cabinets lost to the bunk bed.

Got mine from Sportsman's Warehouse for $99, but the link to order one online from Outdoor Basics is:
http://www.outdoorcooking.com/catalog/i ... ckbox.html

Outdoor Basics price is $129.00 (currently on-sale from $159.99 for this price and with free shipping/handling). Looks like it is the same box, except the logo on the front.

Al in Asheville
:thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Why don't you slide the bunk forward during the day, and use the galley?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Alfred » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:27 am

mikeschn wrote:Why don't you slide the bunk forward during the day, and use the galley?

Mike...

Hi Mike,

Yes, that's the plan.

I will have the Galley countertop available when the bunk slides forward, and I will have some storage underneath the galley countertop, but I will not have any storage cabinets above where the bunk slides backward and forward. I am planning on having the campstove on the galley countertop.

I am thinking the chuckbox will serve the same purpose as most galley's upper cabinets(?)

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby OzarkWonder » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:56 am

I had a chuck box that was getting too heavy to carry so I was thinking of getting a little trailer to put it on. I search for tiny trailers and guess where I ended up? Right Here. Then, instead of a tiny trailer for my chuck box I ended up building a teardrop. So I went from chuck box to teardrop. I don't think I will be going back...
- Kenton
OzarkWonder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby FireLion » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:48 am

Product Description The Outdoor Basics Chuckbox is just what you need for your outdoor camp kitchen. Made of heavy duty metal and reinforced hinges - but still light weight and very portable. Easy to lock and keep animals away from food. Keep your kitchen neat and tiddy this summer with the Outdoor Basics Chuckbox.
* Provides compact storage for your camp kitchen accessories
* Clean sanitary work surfaces for cooking cleaning and food preparation
* Side handles for easy transport
* Designed with 24-gauge metal
* Dimensions: 22" x 11" x 14"
* Latch locks to protect food. Lid folds out to create two work surfaces
* Top shelf comes equipped with removable cutting board and can accommodate a two burner stove
* Four-compartment silverware tray, 2 shelves (1 removable) and a paper towel holder
* Includes two-full zip nylon storage bags, paper towel holder, cutting board and tool holder. (all other items show are to show you how much it can hold and are NOT INCLUDED)

Shipping weight is 30 lbs!! Fill it with food, cookware, and eating gear and then just try to lift it. Hmmmm........ :thinking:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets