Where does everything fit in a TD?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Where does everything fit in a TD?

Postby ZendoDeb » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:54 pm

I have been fooling around with a 4X8 design, and even a 4X9 stretch, and I am still having trouble finding storage for everything. Am I missing something, or do I have too much?

Here is my list so far...

Cooler (1 large or 2 small)
Stove - I understand that propane is a problem at higher elevations... how high is a problem? (I spend most of my time at sea-level, where propane is great.)

Water jug.

General galley storage (salt, pepper, knives, forks, plates, pots, etc.)
Food for a day or 2 that doesn't go in the coolers. (bread, bagels, chips, etc.)

battery and charger
propane storage (any thoughts on the 20 pound tanks that get exchanged everywhere? It seems like fewer people refill - though I haven't been to campgrounds lately.) White gas has the same or more problems in terms of ventilation, security, etc.

Small grill - like the Smokey Joe that folks recommend
charcoal for a day or 2
small fire extinguisher.
Do people use anything beside tongs and a long spatula?

What size Dutch oven are people using? And what is required for safe use? My mom cooked with one of these.

folding chairs X 2
Table - either folding, or one that attaches to the side of the tear or both. (Need a small one to set the cocktails on.)

Lantern - I really like some of the paraffin lamps that they sell for marine use. I could make use of them on the boat as well, but it means carrying another fuel - kerosene or paraffin. As a kid we had a white gas/dual fuel lantern to go with the Coleman stove. the propane lanterns seem to burn a lot of fuel.

Then there is the pure bulk - like paper towels, and some bathroom tissue.
trash storage... should be able to get rid of this at most campgrounds, but then there is recyclables, and for the times you aren't at a regular campground. So some airtight container....

This can't all fit in a tear, can it?
"Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them.... The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final anchorage." - Arthur Ransome: Racundra's First Cruise, 1923
ZendoDeb
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:28 pm

I tow with a minivan. Water, cooler, clothes, table, screen house, dogs, go in van.

Lounges and other things go on bed in t/d. Stove, cooking stuff goes in galley.

Not sure what I would do if everything had to go in t/d.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby tinksdad » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:35 pm

The simple answer..... IT DOESN"T ALL FIT!!

But seriously, where's there's a will, there's a way. It's just a matter of getting creative, and finding every little nook and cranny and making it work. You will be surprised how much you can actually transport in one of these little beauties and still live very comfortably once you're set up at destination. You really can cram 10 pounds of flour into an 8 pound sack.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby jackdaw » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 pm

We seem to have plenty of room, but then we have a 10x5'6 . :D
In addition to a well laid out galley,complete with storage compartments behind the cooker and sink, a built in 3 way fridge. We have a bread bin, plate rack , cutlery draw, tea,coffee, sugar and biscuit containers, gas kettle and electric toaster on the top shelf.
We have a compartment to store the porta potti in front of the 12v batteries. Another for bottles,washing up stuff and tined food and the electric kettle.
We have a full depth draw thats full with pots and pans, big cooking utensils, cups, a measuring jug and other kitchen stuff.
Our water storage containers are stowed under the trailer near the axle. We have a big tongue tray to store a ground sheet, pop-up gazebo ands chairs.The stuff gets piled up , covered over, and strapped down. :thumbsup:
In front of the tray , we keep twin butane bottles for the fridge in remote areas, and cooking.
The front storage lockers in the cabin are home for the side tents (x2) and canopy , wheel wedges (so we can park on the level), mains electric lead ,loo roll and other stuff, torches, towels, the back gammon, a 240v fan heater.
It is full , but I cant think of anything else we would want to take :roll: :roll:
That leaves us with a cupboard each at the back of cabin for clothes, not to mention the small shelves, that we don't keep anything on permanently, but are useful whilst camping.
We are yet to discover the joys of the dutch oven, so we don't carry any at the moment.
I don't think we could fit it all in a 8x4 :roll: :roll: but then we have a good size tow vehicle that has loads of room :lol: :lol:
jackdaw
500 Club

Thanks for the info

Postby ZendoDeb » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:06 pm

That was a complete run-down on where to store stuff. I think I may have to revisit my decision on an 8 X 10 frame.... though I should also look at what I can put in the tow vehicle.

I don't like to put too much in the trunk (what those of you in the UK call the boot) when towing. I guess it depends on how well I do with the tongue weight.
"Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them.... The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final anchorage." - Arthur Ransome: Racundra's First Cruise, 1923
ZendoDeb
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Ours is a 5x10 and we put most everything in it except the coolers and a coat or two. I've got lots of cabinets in the galley and quite a few in the cabin too tho. You'd be surprized what you can stuff in that small space with a little thought. ;)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jadine » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:26 am

Well, we currently camp with a Ford Focus, and we fit everything on that list except the grill, charcoal, Dutch oven, and battery - then add plenty of firewood and tinder, a good-sized tent, stakes and mallet, broom, air mattress, sleeping bags, extra sleeping bags and blankets, AC adapter, and up to two carry-on suitcases' worth of camera and scope related gear (including tripods). So I don't expect it to be too difficult to pack with a teardrop.

1. What's your tow vehicle?
2. How many people?
3. What's your anticipated camping style? Drive to the campground, unhook the teardrop, and make day trips in the car - or what?
4. How long are your trips?

If you're acquiring some new gear, you might look into stuff designed for ultralight backpacking for ideas - there's some tiny, lightweight, very efficient gear out there these days, and some of it is really cool.
jadine
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:35 pm

You worry too much. That will all fit and you'll have extra space.

Don't get a giant cooler, the stove should be smaller too and so on.

Go to a gathering or two, you'll see how people get an amazing amount of stuff in their teardrops. I've seen showers, batterys, multiple dutch ovens, bikes, Pink Flamingos, fences, Pop-Up tents and then there is the Ladybug girl, she has a complete set of Ladybug stuff that decorates the trailer and the yard around it

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 pm

remember, if you can't go horizontally, go vertically.... lots of room that way.

put heavy stuff on the bottom.
Last edited by Arne on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby caseydog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Arne wrote:I tow with a minivan. Water, cooler, clothes, table, screen house, dogs, go in van.

Lounges and other things go on bed in t/d. Stove, cooking stuff goes in galley.

Not sure what I would do if everything had to go in t/d.

Likewise, I put a lot of stuff in my car (station wagon/crossover). Since I have a lot of room in the car, I use it to carry "stuff" that doesn't need to be in the TD. It's nice to have areas to store table ware and cooking tools that will stay in the TD full-time, but things that are normally in my home, like extra clothes and food, can easily stay in the car.

My food -- all of it -- is locked in the car after dark. Raccoons are incredibly talented at getting into food storage, but they can't open a locked car (yet).

Some larger things, like my roll-a-table and side table for the TD, lay on the bed during transit, and come out when I get to my campsite.

CD
Last edited by caseydog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:24 pm

If it's important then it will fit. On your list, I am not packing the Smokey Joe, charcoal or a DO. I put the cooler in the back of my tow vehicle. I do however have plenty of room and I have not begun to tap the tongue space. I am however using a six by nine.

8)
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Where does everything fit in a TD?

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:18 pm

ZendoDeb wrote:I have been fooling around with a 4X8 design, and even a 4X9 stretch, and I am still having trouble finding storage for everything. Am I missing something, or do I have too much?

Here is my list so far...

Cooler (1 large or 2 small) I use an electric cooler. Carry in my SUV.

Stove - I understand that propane is a problem at higher elevations... how high is a problem? (I spend most of my time at sea-level, where propane is great.) I carry my stove in its carry case inside the galley. It stays there.

Water jug. I only bring water bottles for drinking. Use campsite water with my water hose and Coleman Hot Water on Demand for washing dishes.

General galley storage (salt, pepper, knives, forks, plates, pots, etc.) Sterlite storage drawers. Wonderful thing. If you'd like, look in my album.

Food for a day or 2 that doesn't go in the coolers. (bread, bagels, chips, etc.) I carry it in my SUV in a portable storage locker. Stays in the SUV at night...coons like to stage midnight raids.

battery and charger. Unfortunately mine was built without battery.

propane storage (any thoughts on the 20 pound tanks that get exchanged everywhere? It seems like fewer people refill - though I haven't been to campgrounds lately.) White gas has the same or more problems in terms of ventilation, security, etc. I bring the small bottles and keep them in another portable storage locker kept outside.

Small grill - like the Smokey Joe that folks recommend and charcoal for a day or 2. Both carried in the storage locker. I have a metal rack that attaches to the back of the Teardrop that the storage lockers are carried on.

Small fire extinguisher. Inside of my camper, behind the headboard area there is a deep storage area. Comes in handy.

Do people use anything beside tongs and a long spatula? I am a woman...we carry every utensil ever made. :lol:

What size Dutch oven are people using? And what is required for safe use? My mom cooked with one of these. I bring a few...one skillet, one 10", one 12". [color=red]Depends on the menu. Carried in the SUV[/color]

folding chairs X 2. Carried in the SUV, along with the Easy-Up canopy.

Table - either folding, or one that attaches to the side of the tear or both. (Need a small one to set the cocktails on.) 1 fold in half 5'...1 aluminum rollup octogan table...1 small cocktail table. Carried and stored in the Teardrop.

Lantern - I really like some of the paraffin lamps that they sell for marine use. I could make use of them on the boat as well, but it means carrying another fuel - kerosene or paraffin. As a kid we had a white gas/dual fuel lantern to go with the Coleman stove. the propane lanterns seem to burn a lot of fuel. I carry these in the portable locker, in the SUV or on the rack. I use propane and lantern oil but mostly lantern oil.

Then there is the pure bulk - like paper towels, and some bathroom tissue.
trash storage... should be able to get rid of this at most campgrounds, but then there is recyclables, and for the times you aren't at a regular campground. So some airtight container.... I keep the paper items inside the Teardrop in the storage area along with bath towels, rope lights, first aid kit, tool kit, fire extinguisher and blender. I also have one fullsize cabinet inside that I keep toiletries, cards, t. paper, battery operated candles and table cloths in.

This can't all fit in a tear, can it?
My Teardrop is a 5x10 and I used Sterlite storage drawers in my galley and you wouldn't believe how much stuff can go in there.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:54 pm

I also tow with a mini van. For my situation it is the best thing I could have found. Two bikes go on one side and all the other stuff on the other. One sliding door is for my suit case and the other is for my wife. The cooler is in between and reachable from the front seat. The only things in the teardrop when traveling is normal kitchen stuff in the cabinets.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 am

My biggest headache was the greasy grill and dutch ovens and the charcoal. I made large wooden box 16" square by about 24" tall. Holds the dutch oven with 10 # bag of charcoal on top and the Smokey Joe Junior grill on top. Box makes a wonderful cocktail table and contains the grease and charcoal dust allowing the box to be placed inside the tear on the bed. I set it near the center and block it in with the first up and the chairs and other camp items so it can not tip over. Coolers in the back seat in case of a leak. A wet backseat is a unfortunate accident that will dry. A wet bed and you are gonna have a wet and soggy place to sleep for a couple nights.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 am

I've also used old coolers to haul stuff. I've had a couple that the lids broke off (54/60 qt.) but I didn't want to throw away. So I put the dry foods for camping in it for hauling and storage. The handles worked great so I could put the dry food goods in the SUV at night easily. I've also used one to store the grill, charcoal and lighter. They are light weight enough for a woman to handle alone.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets