Does Anyone Have One of These

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Does Anyone Have One of These

Postby campingdude » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Thinking of buying one of these stoves for my teardrop. Does anyone own one of them?

David
campingdude
Twelve Grand Club
Twelve Grand Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:07 pm

Kai and Dean have the mexican version, called a Flamenita.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 101#304101

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:32 pm

We have one (Camp Chef) and it's a huge improvement over the Outback brand :thumbsup: . I bought a second one for my next build. The hinges on the lid and catch are so much nicer along with nicer handles. The flame on the cook top is aggressive over the Outback and the oven temperature is so much easier to control. They even have a dent to hold the oven door open ajar to help lower the temperature. With brass burners and self ignition, it's a winner for Jane & I. I like the way a one pound disposable bottle just screws to the back and you can get a hose for a larger tank almost anywhere that sells camping gear for about $25. If you get one remember to bake at least 25 degrees lower since propane is hotter than natural gas or electric. We got the second one for $150.00 on sale + tax from a local store and they are reasonably priced from some EBay sellers. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby campingdude » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:41 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:We have one (Camp Chef) and it's a huge improvement over the Outback brand :thumbsup: . I bought a second one for my next build. The hinges on the lid and catch are so much nicer along with nicer handles. The flame on the cook top is aggressive over the Outback and the oven temperature is so much easier to control. They even have a dent to hold the oven door open ajar to help lower the temperature. With brass burners and self ignition, it's a winner for Jane & I. I like the way a one pound disposable bottle just screws to the back and you can get a hose for a larger tank almost anywhere that sells camping gear for about $25. If you get one remember to bake at least 25 degrees lower since propane is hotter than natural gas or electric. We got the second one for $150.00 on sale + tax from a local store and they are reasonably priced from some EBay sellers. :D Danny

Thanks for the advise I want to build mine into the cabinet and I am a little worried about the hook up on the bacK of the stove. But I like the way you set yours up. Thanks Again
David
campingdude
Twelve Grand Club
Twelve Grand Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:09 pm

campingdude wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:We have one (Camp Chef) and it's a huge improvement over the Outback brand :thumbsup: . I bought a second one for my next build. The hinges on the lid and catch are so much nicer along with nicer handles. The flame on the cook top is aggressive over the Outback and the oven temperature is so much easier to control. They even have a dent to hold the oven door open ajar to help lower the temperature. With brass burners and self ignition, it's a winner for Jane & I. I like the way a one pound disposable bottle just screws to the back and you can get a hose for a larger tank almost anywhere that sells camping gear for about $25. If you get one remember to bake at least 25 degrees lower since propane is hotter than natural gas or electric. We got the second one for $150.00 on sale + tax from a local store and they are reasonably priced from some EBay sellers. :D Danny

Thanks for the advise I want to build mine into the cabinet and I am a little worried about the hook up on the bacK of the stove. But I like the way you set yours up. Thanks Again

I have 19" between the wall & cabinet and 22" from the bulkhead to the curvature of the area where the galley hatch makes contact. It just fits perfect with a little clearance. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:50 am

G I Joes had them for $129 on black Friday.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:34 pm

bledsoe3 wrote:G I Joes had them for $129 on black Friday.

I wonder how low they will go someday :thinking: . Joe's had them for $200 three months ago, then $175 then in October $150 & that's when I bought mine & the new owner of TD#1 bought his. I love the price reduction but it's a sure sign of a bad economy. :( Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby campingdude » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:56 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
bledsoe3 wrote:G I Joes had them for $129 on black Friday.

I wonder how low they will go someday :thinking: . Joe's had them for $200 three months ago, then $175 then in October $150 & that's when I bought mine & the new owner of TD#1 bought his. I love the price reduction but it's a sure sign of a bad economy. :( Danny

Wow the cheapest I can find is $199 for the Camp Chef One.
David
campingdude
Twelve Grand Club
Twelve Grand Club

Postby whitby guy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:27 am

I too checked on the net...$200+ seems to be the going rate. :(
Any links to someplace that might have them on sale? :worship:
Thanks
Sandy
nothing is foolproof..to a sufficiently talented fool
If everything is under control, you're not driving fast enough
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby Eddielbs » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:42 am

I payed just over 200 at Cabelas for our Camp chef... The camp chef make is better made i think than the outback make. And the price tends to reflect that. You can sometimes find the outback stove for a little cheaper some places.
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

I agree

Postby greekspeedoman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:34 pm

I purchased the Camp Chef Outdoor oven and I agree with halfdome Danny, this is a good product.

It holds its temperature fairly well. I baked cinnamon rolls in 21 degree weather. It took longer than if the oven were drawing a warmer air source but I still had them done in about 16 min.

The only variant I have found with the camp chef is that the maximum temp. depends (somewhat) on the outside air temp. Other than that, I think this oven great.

I have used 6# tanks with this stove (because I already have them). It depends on how much cooking you'll be doing of course. But I have baked cookies, cinnamon rolls, made a batch of pancakes (on a cast iron griddle), & boiled water for 3 meals on one tank. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised with how efficient it is.

I have been careful with my food preparation so that I am really ready to go when I turn the oven or stove top on. Another nice surprise is that there appears to be no lag when running both the oven and both burners at the same time. Obviously, there is more fuel used but operations don't bog down on the big draws from the tank.

I bought mine "Site to Store" through Walmart. They had the best price in Washington (About $175).

There are a bunch of photos of the oven in use on my site http://jpodbuild.wordpress.com/galley/
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Camp Chef Camp Oven

Postby Esteban » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 am

demo of Camp Chef Camp Oven

Costco.com sells the Camp Chef Camp Oven for $169.99 including shipping and a padded carry bag (at no extra cost). The carry bag sells for $54.99 from Camp Chef. Buying from Costco you get a bundled deal at a lower price than most sellers charge for the oven alone.

Costco.com wrote:Camp Chef Camp Oven
with Two-Burner Stove
Includes Padded Carry Bag
Item # 303320
Be the first to write a review.
$169.99
Shipping & Handling included

Very tempting! :thinking:

WalMart.com advertises them, but is currently out of stock....they were on clearance for $134.96...for the oven alone.
Last edited by Esteban on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Camp Chef Camp Oven

Postby campingdude » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Esteban wrote:demo of Camp Chef Camp Oven

Costco.com sells the Camp Chef Camp Oven for $169.99 including shipping and a padded carry bag (at no extra cost). The carry bag sells for $54.99 from Camp Chef. Buying from Costco you get a bundled deal at a lower price than most sellers charge for the oven alone.

Camp Chef Camp Oven
with Two-Burner Stove
Includes Padded Carry Bag
Item # 303320
Be the first to write a review.
$169.99
Shipping & Handling included

Very tempting! :thinking:

WalMart is out of stock....they were on clearance for $134.96...for the oven alone.

Thanks Steve I am ordering now!! :thumbsup:
David
campingdude
Twelve Grand Club
Twelve Grand Club

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:38 am

:) campingdude, hope you enjoy many delicious meals cooked in your Camp Chef oven.

I hesitated ordering one. Now they're now out of stock at Costco.:(
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby greg755 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:10 pm

I just got one Thur Dicks sporting goods. Found a 20% off coupon on the Internet.

I don't have the link for the coupon, But I went to a thread under the electrical heading and there is a thread about refrigerators. In that thread Steve points out a web site to buy a fridge. When you get to that sight you can use the search function for "camp chef oven" and put the price range from 150 to 220 (to cut down the number of hits} When you see them all pop up look for the one from Dicks, you will notice a little "offer" tag in the upper right hand corner of the picture, click on that and it will take you to the coupon.

Ill be cooking in style 8)
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to Camping Secrets