DO Fire Ring?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

DO Fire Ring?

Postby Mauleskinner » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Well, Spring has come to MN...it's above freezing, the snow is almost gone, the grass is starting to have some green tint to it again...8)

...And it'll all end tomorrow! 7 inches of snow is what I heard, temps plummeting back to the single-digits by Sunday. :cry:

Oh well...Doing some planning for Summer anyway. :D

I'm thinking of doing my summer cooking outside, using a Dutch Oven among other things. If I were to build the perfect "fire ring" or "coal holder" or whatever you'd call it in my back yard for DO cooking, what would it look like?

If it helps any, I have a pretty good stack of bricks in my garage...took down the chimney when I reshingled last year.

Thanks!

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:18 pm

:thumbsup: :o :twisted: How about a traditional back yard brick grill with a flat brick side to use the DO's on.
http://monsterguide.net/build-brick-grill
http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article. ... e_id=60223
http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/brickpit/ ... _pit.shtml

This should give you a good idea to start. :twisted:

Edit> I fixed the link that should have been there. Not a clue what happened. :cry:
Last edited by Miriam C. on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mauleskinner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 am

I like that idea...wouldn't have to keep moving my grill when I mow the lawn, either! 8)

Are you thinking a ground-level brick area for the DO side, or something higher?

I can find plenty of information here and on Joanne's site regarding HOW to cook with DO's, but nothing really for an "optimum" setup...brick or stone to set the coals on? Some kind of metal pan? (I see metal tables and some other stuff, but it seems to be primarily to protect the ground from direct coal contact.) Windbreak?

Obviously if you're out in the wild somewhere, you take what's available...but when in the comfort of my own back yard, I'd like to do "luxury" DO cooking. :lol:
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby Joanne » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:29 am

Mauleskinner wrote:I like that idea...wouldn't have to keep moving my grill when I mow the lawn, either! 8)

Are you thinking a ground-level brick area for the DO side, or something higher?

I can find plenty of information here and on Joanne's site regarding HOW to cook with DO's, but nothing really for an "optimum" setup...brick or stone to set the coals on? Some kind of metal pan? (I see metal tables and some other stuff, but it seems to be primarily to protect the ground from direct coal contact.) Windbreak?

Obviously if you're out in the wild somewhere, you take what's available...but when in the comfort of my own back yard, I'd like to do "luxury" DO cooking. :lol:

I've also been thinking about making one in the backyard this spring. I'll see if I can round up some photos and jot down some ideas to post here. I think that you make a good point that we don't have a thread that really addresses backyard cooking designs. :thinking:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:54 am

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dale M. » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 am

Actually I would build a "horno" and put DO inside once it reached proper temperature....

In fact I'm trying to scrounge fire brick to build one now ...

Search GOOGLE and YOU TUBE for "horno"...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mauleskinner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Bump...:D

Any jots or photos yet, Joanne?:thinking:

Joanne wrote:
Mauleskinner wrote:I like that idea...wouldn't have to keep moving my grill when I mow the lawn, either! 8)

I've also been thinking about making one in the backyard this spring. I'll see if I can round up some photos and jot down some ideas to post here. I think that you make a good point that we don't have a thread that really addresses backyard cooking designs. :thinking:

Joanne
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby notned » Mon May 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Thread hijack. Where would a person find an adjustable grill like the ones that are at campgrounds and parks?

This is really the wrong place for this. I'm re-posting. Sorry.
notned
Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets