Having my first TD built!!!!

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Having my first TD built!!!!

Postby rileydog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:18 am

I'm putting down a deposit to have my first TD built and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! :applause: I've been reading all over this site for tips and looking at pictures.

I'm curious, I live in AZ, so thinking it may get warm for summer camping, even up north, so wondering if anyone ever camps with their door open? I was trying to think of some netting device, like a mosquito net or soemthing to hang outside the door to keep the bugs from getting in but allow more air. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that.

Thanks so much for this site! It's wonderful!!!
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby xrover » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:28 am

I'd prefer to have windows on the doors that slide open to let in the air. An open door is too inviting to racoons etc, and if you have any food source in there, they (or something bigger) won't be detered by a bug screen. At least with a window, the height is a deterent to the pest racoon.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby rileydog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks! It will have two windows, pretty large ones, it just gets awfully warm in AZ and was trying to think of a way to allow more circulation. Maybe I can find a battery operated fan or something..
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mauleskinner » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 am

I bought an O2 Cool fan from Wal Mart that I'm fitting into my roof vent.

Runs on 8 "D" size batteries, or an external 12v source.

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:00 pm

I have 2 windows with screens on each side and a fantastic fan in the ceiling (with thermostat).. I get plenty of air moving through... but it does depend on the air.. in AZ, if it cools down at night, it would be great as the humidity is low...

Here in CT, we can have coolish nights in the summer with high humidity, so a/c makes it a lot more comfortable.
Last edited by Arne on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby rileydog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:05 pm

Wow, a ceiling fan! Nice idea. Mine doesn't have a roof vent though. :-( Maybe I should price that upgrade.... :thinking:
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 pm

I think most tears have a vent in the roof.. gives natural air circulation even without a fan... but the fan with the thermostat makes it nice. Both windows and fan are screened.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Todah Tear » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:57 pm

For added cooling, I have a mesh screen that fits over my galley. I have a removable or opening partian between the sleeping area and the galley. When I want fresh natural air, I put the screen on. It keeps the buggers out, especially the tiny ants.

I got the mosquito mesh from this place. It is very reasonable;

I got the mosquito mesh from here: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html#No-See-UM%20Mosquito%20Netting

Here are some pics of Todah2's screen:

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn291/Todah2_bucket/5%20Galley/?action=view&current=Nov-2007galleyNbugscreen2.jpg

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn291/Todah2_bucket/3%20Todah2%20Interior/?action=view&current=closeupofsleepingarea.jpg

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn291/Todah2_bucket/5%20Galley/?action=view&current=closeupofgalleycounterwwhitecurtain.jpg

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rileydog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Now, that's just genius!!!! I love it! I'll be picking up one of those. My TD is having a little door that opens to the sleep area built in too so that will be perfect. Btw, what size is your bed? that looked pretty big.

Thanks much!
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rileydog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm sorry, I am so not 'handy' though.. I see you order the screen by the yard. What did you attach to make it fit? (I can't even sew on a button.. I may have to get some help with this..).
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Todah Tear » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:50 pm

rileydog wrote:I'm sorry, I am so not 'handy' though.. I see you order the screen by the yard. What did you attach to make it fit? (I can't even sew on a button.. I may have to get some help with this..).

Do not fret if you don't sew.

On Todah 1, I used brown duct tape for boarding the mesh. It lasted for a pretty long time, but overtime, it gets stucky because of Texas heat. By the time I did Todah 2, I had discovered industrial strength Liquid Stitch (found in Wal-mart craft or sewing section). I used 1 1/2 cloth banning (it is called banning). This too can be found at any sewing store or wal-mart. This makes a good boarder for the mesh.

Next I used sticky-back velcro, in evenly spaced lengths, along the banning to attach it to the tear opening. (I'll come back and finish the explaination with an edit. I've to scoot right now.)

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rileydog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:57 pm

Now it's sounding more my pace. :) Thanks!
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Do you mean something like:

I usually like to sleep with the doors open. We used the liquid stitch on ours and just used the curtan rods. It works good on the bugs and have never had a problem with larger pests.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Congratulations on your decision to get a teardrop. I bought one last year and I love it. You should definatly put in the ceiling fan. I live in NM and even at 8000 feet elevation, in the summer the nights can be warm. With the windows open and the fan going the td stays cool. My td is a 4x8 and I have plenty of room for me and my cocker spaniel. But I'm only 5'. It would be a snug fit for two people. I look forward to seeing pics of your td.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby dmckruit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm

I really like the clever idea that b.bodemer did. She made screen inserts to put inside her doors. She also made another one that holds an air conditioner. :applause:

dmckruit
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets