Coleman Power Chill

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Coleman Power Chill

Postby KBS » Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 pm

My lovely bride gave me a Coleman Power Chill for my birthday. I'm impressed. It holds up to 48 cans of soda. It has an adjustable/removable shelf that makes item placement easier. It runs both standing up (like your home refrigerator) or on its back. It has a long 12V power cord so it can run in the back seat or trunk, plus an AC adapter for home use.

It's a little bit big for minimalist camping, but I intend to use it more for road travel than camping. It's a bit noisy, but won't be noticeable with ZZ Top blasting out my speakers.

It took a long time to cool down, so I will be sure to plug it in at home hours before any road trip. Also, it is recommended to have your food items pre-chilled before putting them in the Power Chill.

Of course, it runs non-stop, so it will drain the car battery if left on while parked. So it may not be suitable for perishables, but for soft drinks, having it shut down periodically isn't a problem. It cools to 40 degrees lower than ambient temperature, so if your car's A/C keeps the interior at 75 degrees, your drinks will be cold enough to give you a brain freeze.

So far, it seems to be a good product. I don't know what Mrs. paid, but I saw them at WalMart for $95. I've seen them online for a little less and a lot more.
Karl Stevens
KBS
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 27, 2009 3:37 pm

I've tried the thermoelectric a couple times... like you said, it's not good for food, nor is it good for the battery. But if you are camping with electric, and just trying to cool down some beverages, it should be just fine.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Camping Secrets