Knot coming undone

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Knot coming undone

Postby PanelDeland » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:58 pm

I know there are probably a few(especially the boaters) that use a lot of knots.Many of us need to be able to tie a knot for various camping reasons.Tieing down the E-Z UP,Hanging a food bag or a solar water heating bag,or even just a closeline.Being able to tie a knot of the right type may also be a lifesaving technique.It's been quite a few years since i did much knot tying and I was looking to brush up on them and found this website.It's got good info on rope,care of rope, and knots.The knots have great descriptions detailing uses and charachtristics of knots.It's also got animated knot tying which makes it so simple even I can follow along.

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php? ... dknots.com

Have fun learning a new camping skill or improving one you already have.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby tonyj » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:46 am

I have found that tying either a bowline or a square know will cover 99% of the knots I need.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am

tonyj wrote:I have found that tying either a bowline or a square know will cover 99% of the knots I need.

...add a couple of half hitches and you should have everything covered...unless your are going sailing in your TD :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:58 am

Eh, just use tie wraps and duct tape. :lol:

Cool site. Thanks for posting it.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 pm

I use a variation on the truckers hitch for most everything, except joining two ropes together (almost impossible to do with polypro rope) using a double fisherman's knot. I like chains a lot too.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:34 pm

I use a trucker's hitch (hay hauler's hitch) a lot where the ropes need to be tight, including the guy ropes on a tent or securing a load. There is often a bowline securing the other end of the rope. A clinch knot and icicle hitch often come in handy too. I actually enjoy just sitting with a piece of rope and tying knots and hitches as a way to pass a bit of time, kind of like whittling (another favorite pastime of mine). I reckon I tie a square knot with slip loops more often than any other knot (that is the "shoe lace knot"). Does all this make me a "Knot-head"? :lol: :lol:

I've tried ratchet straps and bungee cords over the years but growing up on a small farm I learned to use rope, chain and haywire to secure almost anything. If you can tie a decent knot, a rope often beats a ratchet strap and almost anything will beat a bungee for securing a load, while haywire was the original duct tape. That haywire will still do more things better than duct tape if you know how to use it,of course it will not seal a seam which is what the duct tape was originally designed to do.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 pm

One of the few benefits of being an old dude. The bowlines and hitches and other assorted knots just seem to tie themselves, depending on the situation. But have you ever seen anyone do this to their shoe laces?:lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:One of the few benefits of being an old dude. The bowlines and hitches and other assorted knots just seem to tie themselves, depending on the situation. But have you ever seen anyone do this to their shoe laces?:lol:

That barrel knot in the first pic might take a while to tie, especially if you had to bend over to tie it on your foot.......... :lol:

The carrick bend in the second pic would be quicker to tie but unless it is tightened up it is doing nothing but looking "purty" (not nearly as decorative when tightened)...............
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Knots

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:54 pm

As a scouter I always use what we call a taught line hitch to tie down dining flies, clothes lines etc. the knot slips one way and grips the other.
Bill
Beavers are Naughty!
Wild Bill
The 300 Club

Postby Mightydog » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:48 pm

I usually go with the rolling slip-tangle when I need a knot.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 pm

When I need a knot - I tie one like the one that always ends up when I untie my shoes - they never seem to give up easy :( :x
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Rvankeur » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:18 pm

We're paddlers - canoe/kayak, whitewater, flatwater - whatever, if it floats and you can paddle it, we do.

To tie our fleet down on the roof of our car/van/or popup - we generally use straps, but have been known to use decent rope with a trucker's hitch. Bow and Stern lines tied to the boat using a figure-8, then attached to the vehicle with the previously mentioned "taut-line-hitch".

We've also helped teach swiftwater rescue, and when doing THAT kind of work, various types of figure-8 knots are used, as are the double (or triple) fisherman - to create prussik loops, and the butterfly knot are also used.

Nothing like being a tall blonde, showing up solo to buy a Christmas treee off of the local little league dads, and declining their kind offer of the guys tieing the tree down on the roof rack. After securing the tree, the guys asked if I could come back and show them how to tie stuff on car roofs.
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Re: Knot coming undone

Postby vrodjason » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:41 am

PanelDeland wrote:I know there are probably a few(especially the boaters) that use a lot of knots.Many of us need to be able to tie a knot for various camping reasons.Tieing down the E-Z UP,Hanging a food bag or a solar water heating bag,or even just a closeline.Being able to tie a knot of the right type may also be a lifesaving technique.It's been quite a few years since i did much knot tying and I was looking to brush up on them and found this website.It's got good info on rope,care of rope, and knots.The knots have great descriptions detailing uses and charachtristics of knots.It's also got animated knot tying which makes it so simple even I can follow along.

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php? ... dknots.com

Have fun learning a new camping skill or improving one you already have.

I can't tie a knot to save my life. Thanks for the info. It should be very helpful. :thumbsup:
vrodjason
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Camping Secrets