propane questions

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby caseydog » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:38 pm

wannabefree wrote:If you get a used bottle, check the date stamped on the handle area. Tanks must be reinspected/certified every 12 years, and a vigilant gas guy will not refill one that is out of date though some spazzed out teenager might.

Around here, it's hard to find a place to refill a tank. But, there is an exchange at every grocery, hardware and convenience store in town.

A week after Ike hit Crystal Beach, I was down there and the EPA had crews gathering up hazardous materials, and they were gathering LP Gas tanks by the hundreds. They were all over the place. I should have grabbed a few. I imagine they got destroyed by the EPA.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mechmagcn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:46 pm

It's not likely that you'll blow a 1# cylinder up by refilling it from a larger cylinder, because they are designed for the same pressure. The biggest problem I had when trying to refill them was the valve on top of the green bottles tend to leak after being refilled. If you refill it and reconnect it to the appliance, no problem, but if not capped, check for leaks.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets