toaster/convection oven

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

toaster/convection oven

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Because of my asthma I am not into fires, and hence dutch ovens etc. We are looking for a Toaster/convection/who knows what oven to be used at home and in the tear. I figured there would likely be a few folks with experience and perhaps even more with an opinion :thinking:
Advice?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 pm

We have a Black & Decker quartz tube convection toaster/oven. Works well, I've baked a crab quiche, made toast, reheated pizza with no problems. The outside gets pretty hot.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby High Desert » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:45 pm

Since getting one for the house a couple of years ago we use it far more than the microwave. If I were to consider an electric cooking devise for a tear I would probably go with a toaster/convection oven over a microwave. Hard to make good biscuits in a microwave, as an example. Makes better camp style food to my way of thinking. Just my $.02 worth.

Like Steve said, they do get very warm on the outside. I'd think you would want some good air space around it, maybe mounted on a small slide out for use.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Toaster oven

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:18 am

Toaster ovens probably go 1500 watts or so. You're not going to get that out of an inverter and battery (for very long) or it will take a pretty hefty generator (2000 watts or so) or a/c from the campground to power it.

But they are small and light and if there's no a/c it's not the end of the world.

How about one of the little ovens that go on a stovetop as "alternate plan B".

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:43 am

I go very few places that have electricity. So I think more on the lines of being self sufficient.

Have had one of these for years. Works great.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/17 ... v_XSG10001

OR Coleman does make a propane toaster oven. A friend has one and she loves it.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Co ... u=11883821

Both options are a lot cheaper than a generator.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:26 am

Thank you all for the input. My feeling is that this would be used only in a campground with 110. The Coleman propane oven however is interesting. In looking for one for home it would appear that all or the vast majority are hot when in use, many to the point where you can get burned touching the outside. Nancy has a depth perception problem and this is just asking for problems with an appliance that can give you a burn.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:51 am

I use a regular toaster and am thinking about getting an Induction single burner for inside use. They don't get hot to touch and I think it will be better than the hotplate I have now. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:36 am

I have the second Coleman toaster that Steve mentioned. Works great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:06 pm

I think Miriam's suggestion of an induction hotplate is good. I just read reviews on one and the technology sounds great. BUT, requires magnetic cookware(if the reviewer is right). For camping, you wouldn't need many pieces and they could be used on other cooking tops. The safety factor would convince me to use induction.

XXXXX

Just read alittle about induction cookware. "Magnetic" is misleading. Cast iron is excellent for induction. Some stainless steel. You may not need to buy any new cookware.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby High Desert » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 pm

len19070 wrote:I go very few places that have electricity. So I think more on the lines of being self sufficient.

Happy Trails

Len

Len, that Coleman camp oven really looks like an ideal lightweight, non-electric option for a tear/TTT. And a great price too. We also rarely camp where electric is available, and who needs to carry a generator just for cooking when you already have a stove. Thanks for the idea.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

propane toaster oven

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:41 am

I think the propane toaster oven is a keen idea!

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:10 am

High Desert wrote:
len19070 wrote:I go very few places that have electricity. So I think more on the lines of being self sufficient.

Happy Trails

Len

Len, that Coleman camp oven really looks like an ideal lightweight, non-electric option for a tear/TTT. And a great price too. We also rarely camp where electric is available, and who needs to carry a generator just for cooking when you already have a stove. Thanks for the idea.

That folding oven works great.

I've Baked fish, made casseroles, egg plant, pizza and even baked a cake...It was small but still a cake.

It folds up unto a 12X12X1" shape, stores well and sets up easily.

I've got 2, a really old one in great shape for show and a newer one I use all the time.

Happy Trails

Len

BTW, there is a standard size baking pan you can buy for it anywhere that's not really a specialty item,
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Rick Sheerin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:28 am

If I can't fry it in a pan, boil it in a pot, or cook it over an open fire, it doesn't come camping.We always try to keep meals simple, and dirty dishes to a minimum.
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 am

While I like the idea of the gas TO it would be a bit difficult to use in the house, and that is one of the goals. My concern is still the external heat of the appliance. I spent a number of hours looking at what is out there in electric models and I have to say I am not impressed with even the most expensive brands. Most do not appear to be insulated and in reviews that is commented on frequently.
In general I am not impressed with the engineering of most small appliances, planned obsolescence seems to be the rule and lack of thoughtfulness. There is no reason that a toaster oven cant be insulated with glass or ceramic wool, and it would be more efficient.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 pm

if you already have a Coleman stove there are some good, simple options like the wire-frame folding toaster you can find at Academy (or even some Wal Mart stores).
Amazon has a picture (and a jacked-up price).

Lehman's might have something you could use, too.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets