What camping/cooking gear is “must haveâ€

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby timlsalem » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Thank you bobhenry. I'm printing right now. So basically I can do all my cooking with a DO? What about CI skillets. Are they practical and worth the cost for a one person camper?
KIA'S--MIA'S--POW'S--DAV'S--are what our freedom cost us
timlsalem
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 pm

timlsalem wrote:Thank you bobhenry. I'm printing right now. So basically I can do all my cooking with a DO? What about CI skillets. Are they practical and worth the cost for a one person camper?

Don't tell the purist cast iron folk I take a small teflon skillet for eggs or a toasted cheese or a hoggie style sandwich. I still can not fry an egg in a cast iron skillet ( But don't tell anyone)

P.S. see reference to dutch oven lid above

:laughter:

The lid is great for burgers to , the grease will drain to the center if you set it fairly level. So now you have an old school George Forman grill also ! :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Blumie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Though I've never cooked on the dutch oven lid, I have roasted a whole chicken with potatoes. carrot, and onion in our DO. I've baked cakes and pies and meatloaves, stir-fried, and made chili in it. Thanks to bobhenry's info on the ratios of coals top & bottom for various cooking methods, I'll probably be even better in future! Basically, though, you don't have to change much about your cooking from home when using a DO in camp.

Be careful around your cooling-off DO, however. We were feasting on roasted chicken in camp at the headwaters of the Rio Grande, with the chicken juices still cooling in the open DO nearby, when a gray jay flew in and landed on the lip of the still-hot DO to check out the food smells. It burned its feet on the DO! I still feel bad about that.
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:22 pm

blumie wrote:Though I've never cooked on the dutch oven lid, I have roasted a whole chicken with potatoes. carrot, and onion in our DO. I've baked cakes and pies and meatloaves, stir-fried, and made chili in it. Thanks to bobhenry's info on the ratios of coals top & bottom for various cooking methods, I'll probably be even better in future! Basically, though, you don't have to change much about your cooking from home when using a DO in camp.

Not my info It is an excerpt from the cookbook link above. Hope the info helps I know it sure cleared the fog for me :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby COCamper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:32 am

I understand the armed forces as the experts when it comes to living in the outdoors and I love using their products. It is the 'must have' in my mind! I also like to save while buying these products.

Check em out --> US Cavalry Coupons
COCamper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:13 am

Just before our spring gathering I found a stainless steel collander style basket at yep that place (Goodwill )

Instead of being bowl shaped it had a flat bottom and the sides were 90 degrees to the bottom. It was about the d.o.'s size so I rolled the dice and spent the $1.99. Turns out it just fit in the dutch oven, and I mean just. I had just enougn room to allow me to wad up 3 balls of aluminum foil and toss in under the flat bottomed drainer pan.

Why you ask !Image

It allows the food to cook without risk of burning the bottom and with fatty dishes like this meatloaf it lets the food drain as it cooks. It is now stored in the dutch oven ever at the ready for use.

In fact yesterday I found a similar one but it has small feet :applause:
thats even better no more wasted aluminum foil balls.

So I guess I can add yet another technique to the dutch ovens many capabilities........ "STEAMING"

A cup or so of water in the bottom of the d.o. and a hand full of frest veggies in the basket and you have ........

Wait for it ....................................

The old school cast iron version of the "Bamboo steamer ! "

Im thinking brocolli and cauliflower in a nice cheese sauce :thinking:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:26 am

I cook corn on the cob in my bamboo steamer. I use it on my CI Lodge Wok that is about 25 years old.

:D
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:06 am

slowcowboy wrote:You guys think a person can do a cubbed style round steak fried in a coleman. Propane fired skillet like the ones sold at cableas or walmart?

I just bought one and wander if it can improve my steak frying.

if I ever get a chance at taking another gal out on a date to the mountains. My steak frying dreams, Slowcowboy.

SC I remember your black and red steak story. Perhaps it is time to live up to your handle and S L O W down. Cooking is time and temperature.

More time less temperature or less time more temperature. I love the D.O.'s because you can slow way down. I surmise your are younger and still have your God given teeth so maybe ruining a good steak by pan frying it in a hurry is still edible for you but I would much prefer a nice tender well prepared steak that was ready to cut with the side of my fork.

All this being said here is your homework if you choose it........

Take your cubed round steak and cut it into serving size pieces ( or you can just get prepared cubed steaks at the butchers) Marinate them in any of the packaged blends you can find in the store or as I do just a can of spiced finely diced tomatoes and a few ounces of vegatable cooking oil.
Let it rest a full 24 hours in the fridge. The acid in the tomatoes will actually start the cooking and tenderizing process in the refrigerator. When you remove it it will have changed from bright red to a tan/brown do not panic it is better than fine. I would take the now serving size pieces and blot them almost dry with paper towel and coat them with a flour and course black pepper mix in a bowl or flat pan. Have that skillet ready with just a little grease or simply use some of the oil from the marinade and seer the steaks to seal in the goodness ( 90 seconds to 2 minutes a side in a really hot skillet is plenty). If this is a very promising 1 st date I would probably have well hidden 2 or 3 cans or bottles of prepackaged gravey. I will admit "ol what's her name" is the gravey maker mine always tastes like I dropped the 5 lb sack of flour in it.

ANY GRAVEY EXPERTS ......fill in the brown gravey instructions here :thumbsup: I buy a mix of brown and mushroom gravey in the jar. :oops:

At this point I would have seered the steaks in the D.O.with a boat load of coals all on the bottom. So the steaks are now ready to be BAKED :shock: :shock: :shock: Yes baked steak OMG God good !

Remove all but a few (very few) coals from the bottom and place the D.O. again. Now very important distract your date with the bald eagle sighting and while pointing away pour the gravy over the steaks. Dispose quickly of the evidence and sadly say OH he is gone ! Oh Oh Oh remember that can of fine diced tomatoes you may have used for marinade ,if you are brave, drain the oil from them and add them to the gravey I do and it is great but I LOVE tomatoes. Now replace the lid and pile on the coals. You are baking so the heat is all most all on top.

If she is a jump in and help kinda gal have her help with the foil wrapped potatoes ( hint add a generous amount of water or in my case beer to help them steam) A large sweet onion and maybe a couple ears of sweet corn done like this is fantastic with the steak. Just toss them in close but not too close ( remember more time less temperture )to some good coals from the campfire.

I am always guessing on time with a dutch oven but I would give it an hour and simply remove a piece and use the fork cutting test if it is difficult to cut with the side of the fork just toss it back in for another 30 minutes. Believe it or not 90 minutes of good conversation with the aid of a good wine and the time will go quickly . The best part you arn't babysitting a flaming hot skillet but kicked back with a sweet gal in deep conversation. AH the beauty of a dutch oven it does the work and you get the credit!

So get out there and make a practice run and we are expecting a report back :D on the outcome.

Damn I made myself hungry think I will whip up breakfast :twisted:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:13 am

:shock: Tomatoes! SC All I do for cubed steak (good stuff) is: Flour, salt, pepper and the secret is basil. All to taste. You can taste the seasoning in the flour. In a medium hot pan add oil or Crisco and put the steak in when the top of the pan is hot. Oh and oil only to half the height of the meat.

Fry it so it doesn't burn! Light brown is good!

Then the gravy. A couple of tablespoons of the same grease you cooked in. Sprinkle in the left over flour mix until coated but not oily or dry, you have to stir. Add water and re-season if needed. Some garlic is good too. Don't add milk unless you want sweet gravy... Stir this until you have it the consistency you like. Remember you can always add water........

Now smother the steak and cook some more. Not long. You will smell it and get hungry when it is done. :twisted:

Oh and if you get to the store you can buy the steaks already breaded and ready to go.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:13 am

You guys are killing this here fat man.

:cry: :cry:

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:29 pm

:D been trying to think of something new to cook
going camping next weekend thanks for ideal :thinking:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Camping Equip & Gear

Postby ELCHILEON » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey all,

I'm currrently one year into my " New 560 Raindrop " & shared a few photos of my travel gear, on another forum.

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ ... 504&page=1

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alleged User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:16 am

Just stumbled across this Ingrid party ball on Etsy. Unused, and a decent price...thought I'd pass it along. I'd scoop it if I didn't already have two. Just the same, someone please buy it to save me from myself. :shake hands:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:10 am

I bought 2 off of e bay for around 30 bucks. The first one was mising parts and I wanted a complete set for 6 hence the need for the 2nd.

Walking thur Goodwill there was a 3rd not quite complete set for $5.00.

I grabbed it I have 2 trailers and now each has a FULL set and I still have spare parts if ever needed.

YES I HATE PAPER PLATES !

Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 am

Here's BobHenry's picture

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000