Privacy Screen

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Privacy Screen

Postby fishfinder » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 pm

I have added a privacy screen to my cabin entry door. I am happy with my design however I am concerned about the screen material. I am using a couple shower curtins but I am not sure they will hold up well in the elements and wind. I was wondering if anyone here might have some suggestions for screen material?

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 am

Instead of using the inner waterproof liner I used the fancy outer dress shower curtain. The heavier fabric curtain will stay in place better. One thing I did right was I had a 2 inch hem sewed in the bottom of the curtain and just slide it over the support rod this leaves the little button holes where the shower rings would be installed at the bottom now and they can be used with weights for windy situations

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby fishfinder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks for the input. I had looked at those but chose the inside liner. I may have to change my mind.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am

Many stores sell a shower curtain that is made out of a water-resistant material (not plastic...polyester?) and can be used as either an outer or inner curtain or used alone in the shower. I have a bathroom that I use that type in and it works great. No water gets through; they are tough enough to stand up to the wind; they last a lo-o-ong time; they look really good; they are machine washable; and they only cost about $13. In the past 6 years, I have purchased them at Bed Bath & Beyond, Shop-Ko, and Walmart. (I buy a replacement every 2 years because I like them to look really fresh. After about 2 years, they start to discolor around the bottom hem.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby fishfinder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 pm

I finally made my decision on what to do with the privacy screen material. I went to JoAnn's Fabric Store and bought some "duck cloth", borrowed the wifes Singer, and made up my own curtins. I made it so that the support rod slides into a two inch hem at the top. At the bottom I added some gromets for wind control. I also added some snaps at the edges adjacent to the trailer and also used snaps to hold the two center flaps together. I finished it late tonight and didn't get a chance to take any pictures. I will get them and add to this page.

Thanks for the ideas.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Here a few pictures of my new privacy screen. I received a PM asking how I did this so hope these pictures will help.

First I have a luggage rack on the TD. The brackets are made of 3/4" hardwood and attached to the side of the TD with lag screws. The cross pieces are 3/4" electrical conduit. The curtin rod material is 1/2" electrical conduit which slides into to the 3/4" conduit.

I divided the hoop in half so it can be stored inside for travel.

Curtin material is Duck Cloth.

It has snaps which hold it to the sides of the TD. I also have tent poles in the corners (seen in privious photos).

And grommets in the bottom for tent stakes when necessary.

Now all I have to do is find some time to take her out. This retirement keeps me busy. :lol:

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:18 am

This is one addition to the trailer you will truely appreciate. It is one of the first things set up at the campsite.

Nice job I may steal you snap idea. I good stiff breeze could lead to interesting moments without them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Snide61 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:57 am

I would like some input on my privacy screen idea.

I have a 4x4 popup canopy from Coke that was given to me by a family member who is a sales rep for them. I thought about taking it up to the Amish tarp shop a few miles from my house and have them make an enclosure for it that would open on two sides and have tie backs on each opening corner.

My thought is that if we need it for a port-a-toilet enclosure we could use it for that separately or if we want to use it as a changing room off the side of the tear then we open the side up next to the trailer and have the rest enclosed.

Thoughts?
Snide61
Teardrop Builder

Postby fishfinder » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:02 pm

Not being the sharpest tool in the drawer I do better with pictures. If you could post some pictures of the pop-up maybe we could get a better idea.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:04 pm

I have a curtain front on a cabinet in my VW camper. Driving down the road with the windows open would set that curtain to flipping up(took me awhile to figure out who/what was slapping the back of my head!!)

I solved the problem by threading a chain into the hem.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Snide61 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:45 pm

It would look something like this. Except that I did not set it up all the way.

Snide61
Teardrop Builder

Postby fishfinder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:47 am

Nice TD. Your plan should work just fine.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:08 am

Wow a mini first up that is neat ! I have never seen a 4x4 one. Get a peek at someones standard pop up with side curtains and make a set with similar ties for the top and the legs and you will have one sweet little side tent.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby fishfinder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:56 pm

I have been working on an idea to cover my privacy curtin. I picked up some 1/2 thin wall PVC pipe and some 1/2 inch tee's. On the band saw I cut the Tee in half so that it will fit over the frame. I then cut some cross pieces an inch longer than the space accross the frame. This gives a little bow to the cross pieces and they seem to hold against the hoop just fine. My next project is to figure out how to make the covering over the frame. In my mind I have some ideas but I don't know how to explain it yet. No matter what I do I am sure I will have to secure it down to prevent it from blowing off. Maybe I can use some snaps to attach the top to the curtin. Anybody done any thing along these lines yet?

In case anyone is wondering why I am even thinking about this remember I live in Western WA home of the rain. 8)

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Camping Secrets