coleman fuel

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

coleman fuel

Postby doitright » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:37 pm

I put a additive in my gas to keep it good for up to a year. I just wonder if the Coleman fuel needs to have a additive to keep it in good condition for long periods of time. I may use only one gal in about two years and would love to be able to put up maybe five gal.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:02 pm

I've heard 2 to 5 years if sealed and kept in a cool dry place. No need for an additive. Seems right to me.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 am

Coleman fuel is not gasoline, it is Naptha a much lighter hydrocarbon and should not be prone to deterioration as is gasoline. One of the reasons gas goes bad is that the light more volatile components evaporate. Naptha is one of those volatiles. Gas also oxidizes and forms what looks and smells like varnish.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:16 am

I keep trying to stock up but it always gets used before too long :lol:

As long as it's sealed up good it seems to have a good shelf life from my experience. Have seen some that was on the shelf for several years that looked and burned just fine.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 pm

In 2007 when my husband dragged the 'ole Zollinger home, their was a really old can in him. I used it up last year and it worked fine. The can was about 10 tears old. If it's sealed it should be fine.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Must be something about the can that makes the difference 'cause when i put it in the fount and fire up the lantern - somehow all the fuel starts to disappear - no matter how tight the cap is on! :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Zollinger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:37 pm

starleen2 wrote:Must be something about the can that makes the difference 'cause when i put it in the fount and fire up the lantern - somehow all the fuel starts to disappear - no matter how tight the cap is on! :thinking:

:thinking: Starleen you might be on to something! 8)
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doitright » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:40 pm

High Desert wrote:I keep trying to stock up but it always gets used before too long :lol:

As long as it's sealed up good it seems to have a good shelf life from my experience. Have seen some that was on the shelf for several years that looked and burned just fine.

I do not have the problem of finding a trunk load of coleman stuff cheep. I only have four lanterns and three stoves to fuel. I have ban myself from any more until I get the fuel stored.

Thanks for the info on the fuel I will get the five gal. and keep them unopened for 2012 :lol: or the big one or money gets low and I want to go camping.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

20 years

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 pm

We recently cleaned out my father in law's garage. He had a stove that hadn't been run in twenty years. Pumped it up and it worked fine! Mabye conditions were just right but it does get warm in the San Fernando Valley so not that right (as in cold would be better).

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets