Camping Stove - Primus Oden Stainless Update

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Camping Stove - Primus Oden Stainless Update

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 pm

Hey folks thought Id take and show you what the New Primus Oden All Stainless stove looks like.

1st thing that really made us happy its Not made in China.. but in our neighboring country of Estonia where the quality is shown with pride. :applause: :applause: And it shows with this camping stove as well. :thumbsup:

We are very happy with it. Also it has an automatic shut off if the flame goes out. Automatic Shut Off is required here for indoor use so this stove can be used as an extra emergency stove in the house or cabin as well ;)

Information: Its 3.4 kilograms or 7.5 lbs.

510 x 315 x 85mm or 20" x 12.4" x 3.3 "

2 x 16 W or 2 x 6900 BTU/H 4.5 minutes

As an accessorie it also comes with a nice carrying bag with shoulder strap.

Here,s a couple of pics of it.

Last edited by Classic Finn on Sat May 29, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby kirkman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:28 am

Very Nice!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks for sharing, what does it cost. :thumbsup:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby legojenn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:00 am

Those do look nicer than the Primus campstoves stoves that are available here. I think all we can get are Coleman-quality made in China stoves.

It is a shame that in my lifetime, Coleman has gone from *the* name in camping gear (at least in North America) to a symbol of what happens when you outsource production to save a little money on labour. I hope that Primus & Brunton don't go down that road.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 pm

SmokeyBob wrote:Thanks for sharing, what does it cost. :thumbsup:

This model cost us a 130 Euro total. We ordered it directly from Sweden since this model isnt available here in Finland locally. According to Primus Sweden Im the only one so far. :lol: Gee its nice to be different. :D

We havent used it yet since it came with a wrong hookup hose. The bottles are a bit different than ours so have to wait awhile to use it unfortuantely. ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:26 pm

legojenn wrote:Those do look nicer than the Primus campstoves stoves that are available here. I think all we can get are Coleman-quality made in China stoves.

It is a shame that in my lifetime, Coleman has gone from *the* name in camping gear (at least in North America) to a symbol of what happens when you outsource production to save a little money on labour. I hope that Primus & Brunton don't go down that road.

And here Id love to get a coleman stove even if it was an oldie however the shipping is a killer. Ive checked it out with a few forum members. :cry:

So have to keep the Scandinavians in business :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the only one here that is available as under the name of Coleman Powerhouse.

It works on Unleaded Gas and the wife and I aint too certain about its safety using gas. So weve not bought it.

If anyone uses one maybe you can give us some feed back on it?

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Sat May 29, 2010 7:58 am

An update just for blowing off some steam. Talk about having to be persistent around our countries and this wonderful area known today as the European Union which I loved to hate with a passion.

Our countries differ in so many ways. Wether it pertains to culture, laws, camping and camping acessories.

Found this out once again.

The Oden Stainless is made by Primus. It is marketed all over Europe but little do they inform anyone of the different hookups, size of hozes, connectors, gas bottles, cartridges and so on.

I ordered this via Sweden however had to purchase it from a local company that sells camping gear and equipment. And who stocks supposedly represents Primus Products.

I told them that these connectors do not fit our standard connectors or gas bottles in this case Propane. What will they do for us in order to make it work here.

The reply I got was: Bring it back and we,ll refund your money.. :x

I asked: is this all you are willing to do? The reply again was. We dont sell this model in Finland. :x :x And I replied back again and stated.

And then? What? According to Primus Sweden they are to make this compatible and the customer should be assisted. And if sold customer direct it is the importer whose roll is to Make it work. And not to the customers cost.

Ok. I was in contact with Primus and they assisted and stated that I should get a reducer directly from the stove to the hose.

Swedish hose and connector is 6.3mm and left hand thread coupling.
Finnish hose is 10mm with 10mm coupling. And direct pressure 30 Bar gas valve hookup.

I took the entire stove over to one of the best and well known Dealers here that are pros in European Gas and Camping cookers.

No longer than 10 minutes the Stove had our Coupling and hose hooked up and the Stove Works.

Biggest rant is that I still havent heard from the Importer or Dealer here as to how they will assist, refund the cost of my own work, time and persitance on getting this stove to work properly and according to our standards and appliance hookups.

Well, to make this short. The Primus Oden Stainless Stove Works, and its quality in my opinion and it looks good.

Also I know more about these hookups here than Primus itself or the Importer of Primus and that includes the Dealer itself. :lol: :lol: I can laugh and say. Never give up and let high society toss you around when they dont know horse poo about the products they sell or manufacture. :lol: :D

I sent an email to Primus and asked them if they need a New Rep for the Dual Burner Stoves from Primus. The reply was - If you so wish we would be proud to have you do so. :lol: :lol: :rofl: :crazy:

We are now Reps and Dealers for the Dual Burner Stainless Stoves previous or new models here. :D

Also as an important piece of info besides, phone calls, emails and blowin off Hot Steam. The cost of the coupling was not more than 5 Euro in order to make it work. :? :? And 10 minutes of time at the right place. :?

I hate sales people who are high n mighty and dont know sheeeeet about the products they sell. And this world is full of them. :x :x

Photos to follow. :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Sat May 29, 2010 10:39 am

Here is a photo of the proper hookup, Primus Oden Stainless and Our 1st piece of Cast Iron.. All things well. And now Happy with the working stove. :lol:

Primus sent us a Freebie Carry Case for the Stove since we had such a Booger of a time so that sort of made up for time wasted. :D

Here,s the little coupling that caused the commotion.

Another problem solved is that there is No Pure Propane available here? Thats false. So Coleman Stoves will work however if installed with the gas cartridge connector pipe this has to be changed to rubber hose with the same type of coupling as in the above photos.

The short pipe is considered a safety hazard here. Things a man has to go thru. :lol: :lol:

Camping Gaz in Europe is owned by Coleman nowadays so of course Camping Gaz wants their cartridges sold as does Coleman and Primus. But if there is a way to properly go about this. They are interchangeable wether they admit it or not. :? :lol: My work and findings is just proof of that. Also with safety in mind.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby High Desert » Mon May 31, 2010 2:46 pm

Classic Finn wrote:This is the only one here that is available as under the name of Coleman Powerhouse.

It works on Unleaded Gas and the wife and I aint too certain about its safety using gas. So weve not bought it.

Heikki, that stove should also run on straight Coleman fuel, but from what I hear it's costly over there? I'll poke around and see if I can get any more details. I've got an older C-fuel model that size you could have for the shipping if you'd like, but it may be cheaper to buy the local new one lol. Drop me a PM if you're interested ;)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 am

High Desert wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:This is the only one here that is available as under the name of Coleman Powerhouse.

Heikki, that stove should also run on straight Coleman fuel, but from what I hear it's costly over there? I'll poke around and see if I can get any more details. I've got an older C-fuel model that size you could have for the shipping if you'd like, but it may be cheaper to buy the local new one lol. Drop me a PM if you're interested ;)

Hey there buddy ;) . Here that stove sells for 129 Euro. Thanks for the offer. I think and Im perdy sure that with sending and import duty it could be around the same price or more. Depends how badly I want sumtin :lol: :lol:

And your soon to find out how bad I really want sumtin sometime :lol: :D :R

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby High Desert » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Classic Finn wrote:
High Desert wrote:

Hey there buddy ;) . Here that stove sells for 129 Euro. Thanks for the offer. I think and Im perdy sure that with sending and import duty it could be around the same price or more. Depends how badly I want sumtin :lol: :lol:

hey pardner, after some checking that stove is the same as the US dual fuel model under the label. It will run fine on Coleman fuel or white gas (may be cheaper?) and will not plug the generator as soon. Less odor too. Just in case you decide you really need one some time ;)
Shaun

High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 am

High Desert wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:
High Desert wrote:

hey pardner, after some checking that stove is the same as the US dual fuel model under the label. It will run fine on Coleman fuel or white gas (may be cheaper?) and will not plug the generator as soon. Less odor too. Just in case you decide you really need one some time ;)

Is that generally a good stove then? Since Im not too familiar with Coleman things.. :oops: :oops:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:56 pm

We have three of the Coleman duel fuel appliances, thinking being, unleaded gas is easy to find Coleman fuel/white gas is not and here it is more expensive. I was massively disappointed in the quality of the stove and quite happy with the Peak 1 single burner stove.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:We have three of the Coleman duel fuel appliances, thinking being, unleaded gas is easy to find Coleman fuel/white gas is not and here it is more expensive. I was massively disappointed in the quality of the stove and quite happy with the Peak 1 single burner stove.

Those we have here in abundance. The dual burner stoves are not popular here at all. Except for a hand full of users.

Are there any other stoves in the USA that have the same hookup similar to our Primus with the hose for the bigger propane gas bottles? It would be interesting to see. :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby High Desert » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:40 am

Heikki,
Yes, connecting to larger tanks is common here. There are several companies that make various adapters. I know regulations and equipment varies wildly in different countries, here it is pretty easy. I can't give the why and how's off the top of my head but propane is very standardized at least for these type of applications. They are available at a lot of places, even WalMart..

here's a common tank to hose adapter. The male end is the same as our 1# propane bottles;

a 5' connector hose. I have a couple of 10' ones with our camper.

These are really handy for using a big tank. The base mounts to the the tank and it has 3 outlets, one on the top that you can connect a propane lantern directly to.

Here's a pic of our camp kitchen a few years ago, using the tree to fuel the stove, BBQ and a lantern on top from the single bottle seen below the table.

Does that help a little at least?
Shaun

High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets