Any tips for setting up tarps?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Any tips for setting up tarps?

Postby TheresaD » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm

I'll be heading up to the Spring TearUp in the Adirondaks next week...Now, I'm quite certain it couldn't possibly rain like it did last year :worship: , however, I want to be prepared. I have a 10x10 EZ up that I will be bringing to use for shelter over the picnic table, but I'm thinking that I might want to protect my trailer a bit from any heavy rain that might possibly occur. While I have done some work on it, I'm not so certain that it's completely watertight just yet. I haven't had it for long and still have more work to do but I'm bringing it on the trip anyway. My question goes out to all those folks that I have seen at gatherings who manage to get tarps fashioned into amazing canopies and shelters with what seems like little more than a few ropes. What do you folks recommend one should do in order to provide cover for your trailer and at the same time create a sort of an awning with your tarps so that you can stay dry? Do you tie off to trees? It seemed like I recall seeing people doing that in the ADK park last year. I thought most campgrounds frowned on this. If so do you actually bring a ladder camping with you to get it up high? (I don't climb trees) Do you use poles? What sort of rope or cord do you recommend for tying tarps down with? I have a few large tarps that I can use. I should also mention that the Sprite has an awning rail that runs from the bottom back edge, up along and across the top edge, and continues back down the front edge to the bottom. It basically forms an upsidedown U. There is another rail on the opposite side of the trailer. I'm thinking I might be able to run a tarp in that track like one would put one of the older style rope edge awnings on a vintage trailer. It's a narrower track than what's on my Scotty so I might just be able to fold the tarp over at the edge and slide it through the awning track. From there I'm guessing I could just extend it out and stake it up with poles?? Does this sound feasible? This wold give me an awning of sorts directly off the trailer. I could still put a tarp over the top of the trailer to help prevent any unwanted water intrusion. How would I secure this? I'm looking forward to hearing from all the creative tarpers out there.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:10 am

You are so lucky you have an awning rail on the trailer already. This is too simple. Any good farm store will have fiberglass survey stakes. These are about 1/4" in diameter and generally come 4 , 5, and 6 foot length. Looks kinda like a fishing pole but not tapered. Fold the tarp back a couple inches and start the folded tarp in the awning channel with the survey stake in the center. It is a 2 person job 1 feeding and one gently pulling. Once the tarp is installed pull it over the trailer and using 2 poles in the gromets and stake the poles at a 45 degree angles a pair running with the trailer to stretch it tight and a pair running away from the trailer to keep it extended from the side of the trailer. A couple white rags tied on these ropes will help see them in the dark and avoid tripping accidents. I think I have a pic of my budy jeff's set up in my album ....back in a sec.

Here is a link to his album. Page 2 shows his nifty new telescopic poles he just purchased. It makes a nice " front porch" to set under in the rain
I know that well !

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=6390&sort_method=pic_time&sort_order=DESC&start=12
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TheresaD » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:27 am

That does look good. Thanks for the pics those help. I don't know about the stakes though. I can't even think of a store around me that would sell something like that. Not sure how they would work out with the bend of the awning rail. If you take a peek at the pics in my album of the Sprite you'll notice that it's a pretty rounded profile. Perhaps I could do it old school and wrap the tarp around clothesline rope and work it through that way. This would create an awning over the door and "patio" area. I would just have to figure out the best way to provide some coverage for the top of the trailer. I suppose I could make a sort of rain fly type of set up to help keep rain at bay if the forecast warrants it. Unlesss.... I run the tarp through the awning rail on the opposite side and then basically bring it back up and over the entire trailer and out for the awning piece... again, not sure with the curvature of the trailer. I'll have to continue to think on this.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:28 am

1/4 plastic tubeing may work better for you !

conduit pipe. pvc or just a couple 2x2's for your props ???
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:34 am

Can a person still find a bamboo "Cane pole" we used them for fishin' when we were little. They would make an excellent prop cut it where the gromett just fits thru the tip and saw to length. 8)

And you could steal one and go fishin' :laughter:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:06 am

To get rope higher up in a tree for a tarp, I usually tie one end around a pair of pliers (or something relatively heavy), and throw it over the branch I want. Some campgrounds might have rules about not tying to trees, though.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Re: Any tips for setting up tarps?

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:23 am

TheresaD wrote:I'll be heading up to the Spring TearUp in the Adirondaks next week...Now, I'm quite certain it couldn't possibly rain like it did last year :worship: , however, I want to be prepared. I have a 10x10 EZ up that I will be bringing to use for shelter over the picnic table, but I'm thinking that I might want to protect my trailer a bit from any heavy rain that might possibly occur. While I have done some work on it, I'm not so certain that it's completely watertight just yet. I haven't had it for long and still have more work to do but I'm bringing it on the trip anyway. My question goes out to all those folks that I have seen at gatherings who manage to get tarps fashioned into amazing canopies and shelters with what seems like little more than a few ropes. What do you folks recommend one should do in order to provide cover for your trailer and at the same time create a sort of an awning with your tarps so that you can stay dry? Do you tie off to trees? It seemed like I recall seeing people doing that in the ADK park last year. I thought most campgrounds frowned on this. If so do you actually bring a ladder camping with you to get it up high? (I don't climb trees) Do you use poles? What sort of rope or cord do you recommend for tying tarps down with? I have a few large tarps that I can use. I should also mention that the Sprite has an awning rail that runs from the bottom back edge, up along and across the top edge, and continues back down the front edge to the bottom. It basically forms an upsidedown U. There is another rail on the opposite side of the trailer. I'm thinking I might be able to run a tarp in that track like one would put one of the older style rope edge awnings on a vintage trailer. It's a narrower track than what's on my Scotty so I might just be able to fold the tarp over at the edge and slide it through the awning track. From there I'm guessing I could just extend it out and stake it up with poles?? Does this sound feasible? This wold give me an awning of sorts directly off the trailer. I could still put a tarp over the top of the trailer to help prevent any unwanted water intrusion. How would I secure this? I'm looking forward to hearing from all the creative tarpers out there.

Oh my, Chris (teardrop_focus) is gonna love this post.

In the meantime, there are some very good how-to websites and YouTube tutorials. Google "how to set up tarp". Here's one: http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Sh ... helter.htm

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:07 am

I use telescoping tent poles. They are not expensive, easy to carry, and collapse to 1/2 their length, about 4' long. and use guy wire/rope and stakes.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TheresaD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks all. I might put some of these tips to the test. Hoping we won't get much rain though. Arne I'll probably invest in some of those poles. They'd probably be very practical for me. Hmmm no comments from Chris though... He must be out making sawdust.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets