Stereo in your TD and remote control....

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby cracker39 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 am

starleen2 wrote: Since i have started using my tablet and phone to play music - CD's are staring to become a relic for me.

I have to agree with that. Technology advancements sure do change the way we do things. I have a lot of CDs and a few years ago began ripping them all to my PC and I started making MP3 disks that hold 8 to15 CD's of music depending on the length of the CDs. I played these both at home and in my truck. One disk will play through a whole day's drving. But, now, I have most of my music on my MP3 player that plugs into my truck or camper stereos, so neither the CDs or MP3 disks are used much anymore.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gaelen » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:16 am

cracker39 wrote:
starleen2 wrote: Since i have started using my tablet and phone to play music - CD's are staring to become a relic for me.

I have to agree with that. Technology advancements sure do change the way we do things. I have a lot of CDs and a few years ago began ripping them all to my PC and I started making MP3 disks that hold 8 to15 CD's of music depending on the length of the CDs. I played these both at home and in my truck. One disk will play through a whole day's drving. But, now, I have most of my music on my MP3 player that plugs into my truck or camper stereos, so neither the CDs or MP3 disks are used much anymore.

I'd agree - except that about a year ago, my brother (who stopped buying CDs and went to online downloads) had his hard drive destroyed and suddenly realized that he had to replace all of his music content. Which of course, had mainly been from CDs that he's sold. He hadn't yet backed up his music library to a portable HD. The cost to replace all of that music by online download was close to $500.

He borrowed about 100 CDs from me to get him started, and he's slowly rebuilding his CD collection. It's pretty easy to store CDs in a relatively small space...and at least they don't re-charge you for re-ripping them. ;)
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 am

First I am deaf in one ear (brain surgery) so "stereo" speakers are pretty much wasted on me. Second I am sensitive to sound so I like things quieter than most. Third I'm not entirely convinced that everyone in the campground will enjoy my choice of programming.

That said here are some thoughts.

Radios designed for cars are not designed with power conservation in mind as the designers figure the car will be running and there will be plenty of juice to power the radio. So you'll have to find a way to feed the radio lots of juice.

There are portable radios that will run for days off a few small batteries and are plenty loud enough. You can move these anywhere you like so they don't have to be loud to hear them and no remote is required as the whole radio is at your fingertips. You can also run them off of 12 volts if you chose so no disposable batteries are required. Many of them come with weather channels and other bands if you want to expand your horizons. If you want to play your own recorded music you can use an IPOD and a battery powered docking station.

No installation required, completely flexible as to how and where you listen to your music and over the air programming, and (depending upon your choice of radios and speakers) comparable in cost.

There you have it again, "The World According to Gus".

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby honeask » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:05 am

Good morning Julie, we are planning on having a audio system at the trailer but not premanantly attached to the trailer. We love music and it will be part of our camping experience but not pushed upon other campers either. Right now we have a small system (part of IHome or IGo) that fits in your bottle holder on a bycycle. It can have a healthy volume if you choose with a good solid sound and comes with a remote to be able to change settings from the handlebars. We use it all the time in the back yard when we are BBQing. We got it on Ebay for about 1/2 price and is so good that we are not rushing to buy the larger set up just yet. Remotes can be a good thing.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:56 pm

I installed it in the cabin so I can plug my notebook into it and have awesome sound while watching DVDs while I'm boon-docking.
If I'm in a campground I use my earphones so no one has to hear it.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Comments to Gaelin, Gus, Sandy and Eric

First, losing a hard drive is a devastating experience. I have an old 250GB hard drive in a case plugged into my laptop via a USB port where I back up all of my data and music files. It's no help for applications that would have to be reinstalled if my hard drive crashed, but all of my documents and music would be saved. I also have an old laptop harddrive, also in a case with USB connection for backups when traveling as it powers off the laptop where the bigger drive has a power converter and needs 110VAC to use it.

My stereo in my camper has speakers inside only and I don't play it very loud inside anyway. It won't bother anyone next door. I've had campground neighbors who played loud music outdoors after my bedtime and I don't appreciate it at all. I do have a couple of small "boom box" type radios, one of which plays MP3 disks for any outdoor listening..again, at low volume. I'm not sure if that one has a plugin for my MP3 player or not. Probably not.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: Stereo in your TD and remote control....

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:54 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:I'm going to install a AM/FM/CD car stereo in the galley of my new build and have the speakers mounted in the hatch.
I have a Sony model picked out ... but big difference in price if I want a remote control.

I can see reasons I don't need it but have another question too .

1) Do you ever really use the remote with yours? I don't plan to play it too terribly anyway , so I wouldn't be but a few feet away anyway.

2) My friend suggested putting speakers on the cabin side too , from the same system mounted in the galley. Then a remote would definitely be needed! But do you ever really play the stereo in the cabin anyway? I don't think I would .

Both have MP3/Ipod ports
Thanks

I use the remote in the cabin to advance to the next song on the jump drive and to raise or lower the volume. When installing a car stereo there's a wire for the ignition switch. I run that wire up to the headboard area with a small lighted toggle switch so I never have to touch the stereo and can stay comfortably under covers. That switch also comes in handy when not in the cabin. As far as speakers in the galley it has been a consideration but it always gets voted down because I don't want to spread my choice of music to other campers who may or may not appreciate it. The choice is yours. You could put two speakers in the cabin and two in the galley and use the stereos fader feature to turn on/off (down/up) the galley or cabin speakers. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby glenpinpat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:23 pm

a stereo in the cabin was important. The one we installed can play any format and we can also view or sd cards on it. We have it hooked up to a small monitor so we can watch dvd if it is pouring rain in the evening. The remote allows us to turn it off without getting out of the covers on those cold nights. If you are going to have a stereo in the cabin make sure you get one that actually has all the leds turn off when not in use(you will be surprised at how bright and annoying the power light can be. When we want to listen outside we just open a door and let the radio play. I believe most people do not want to listen to my choice in music so we rarily play the stereo while out of the cabin.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Java Jack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:35 am

We have a Sony Stereo with Blue Tooth in our cabin with 2 speakers in the cabin and 2 in the galley. We also have a remote for the stereo. In addition, we have a TV/DVD player in our cabin that also has a remote.

I have the audio output of the TV/DVD player going to the Aux In on the Stereo. So, we control the volume of the TV with the stereo remote when watching TV or movies. We velcro the remote for the TV and the Stereo on the cabin wall. It's sorta like a mini home theater in the teardrop as the cabin speakers are way better than the TV speakers.

When we are listening to music in the galley area, we are connected via blue tooth to our phones and use the phone to control the music selection and the volume so no remote needed. The Stereo remote would not work anyway as it is IR and therefore, needs line of sight to the stereo (mounted in the cabin). I could get an IR extender and drill a pass through from the galley to the cabin but don't really need it since we can do everything on the phone.

I use the Stereo fader controls to choose which speakers I want to listen to (galley or cabin). This way if watching movies, I am not blaring it to the rest of the campground.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Regards,
Java
Proud Owner of a CampInn 560 Ultra
Blog: http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/
Video: https://youtu.be/TLLFt3vzFoA
Sill Images: http://imgur.com/a/EE0zC#0
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:29 am

I went into an antique store the otherday and they had a pair or art deco looking drive in movie speakers with lightning bolts on the front.
150 for the pair but might be able to talk them down a bit.
If I had the cash I would a owned them...bills won over wants.
Might put a deposit on them yet....I recon they would look pretty awsum in the top corners of the galley
A bit like this but nicer I recon https://www.google.com.au/search?q=driv ... B308%3B246
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:44 am

dales133 wrote:I went into an antique store the otherday and they had a pair or art deco looking drive in movie speakers with lightning bolts on the front.
Might put a deposit on them yet....I recon they would look pretty awsum in the top corners of the galley
A bit like this but nicer I recon https://www.google.com.au/search?q=driv ... B308%3B246

Those old Drive In speakers were built to last in an outdoor environment not to sound like a quality movie theatre speaker.
What made them sound pretty good was the reverb sound from hundreds of speakers in the Drive In all playing at the same time.
Would you want to have music sound like a Jack In The Box drive thru speaker?
My suggestion is to save your money and get some modern speakers.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Java Jack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:26 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:
dales133 wrote:I went into an antique store the otherday and they had a pair or art deco looking drive in movie speakers with lightning bolts on the front.

Those old Drive In speakers were built to last in an outdoor environment not to sound like a quality movie theatre speaker.
What made them sound pretty good was the reverb sound from hundreds of speakers in the Drive In all playing at the same time.
Would you want to have music sound like a Jack In The Box drive thru speaker?
My suggestion is to save your money and get some modern speakers.
:D Danny

It might be fun to crack one open and replace the crappy old speaker with updated h/w. The question is if the speaker box would provide a good resonance chamber to sound good. However, in a small enclosed trailer, you would not need much of a speaker to sound good as you are already really close to the source anyway. On the outside of the trailer like the galley area, it's a much harsher environment and so it would probably not sound great but not much would unless you had a massive box.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Regards,
Java
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

Postby felixx » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:22 pm

how about bluetooth speakers connected to a phone/ ipad?
You could put a USB jack somewhere to charge both
felixx
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:55 pm

My plan was to fit some good quality speakers inside the enclosures if I did get them, I could stuff them with cotton cool or dacron to add some resonance.
And Yea felix I was looking at getting a blue tooth stereo with remote
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Java Jack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:33 pm

felixx wrote:how about bluetooth speakers connected to a phone/ ipad?
You could put a USB jack somewhere to charge both

I've yet to see any really good quality BT speakers. There is also a space advantage is they are hard mounted in the cabin or galley so you don't have to give up counter space.

I've got a pair of cheap Jensen box speakers inside the cabin and a pair of Polk Audio automotive speakers in the galley. I am getting ready to replace the chep Jensen speakers with some nice Klipsch home theater speakers in the cabin. This will provide much more robust sound in the cabin when watching TV or listening to music.
Regards,
Java
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets