Potty/shower tent

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Potty/shower tent

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Nancy and I are having a "discussion" :roll: concerning a shower/potty tent. The new MM will either have or get a shower attachment, but we also have a sun shower. I favor the Trecker Fold a Privy http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0066855518958a&navCount=7&podId=0066855&parentId=cat20097&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat20087-cat20097&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20097&hasJS=true

she favors the Cabella's Shower Shelter http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0031110516873a&navCount=6&podId=0031110&parentId=cat20097&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat20087-cat20097&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20097&hasJS=true

Her idea is to cozy it up to one of the side doors and slip in sans clothing. Both have something of a tapered side and I do not like the idea of a bunch of additional time and poles etc.
So experience?

PS how do you do the clicky url thingy
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby deceiver » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:48 pm

I've got the trek.. sets up by throwing it in the air and takes all of 10 seconds to take down. It's quite big too. Much bigger than I thought it was going to be when I bought it.

One point. We almost always have a large canopy set up over our camper and extending out the side of it. Our trek sits under the canopy so rain isn't an issue from the top. The other one you have shown looks like it could better stand by itself out in the rain.

Another point too is that the trek is on sale right now for 39.99. Much different in price compared to the other and the quality seems pretty good too.

Still another consideration: If she still thinks the other one would have been better then you'll probably never hear the end of it. Big decision point.
Last edited by deceiver on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:38 am

It may be called a shower tent, but do you really think you'll be using it as a shower? Or using the campgrounds showerhouse?

If using it for changing clothes and porta potty, then think about the space you need. The huge difference is price is only getting you another few inches of floor space .
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby iOpine » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:53 am

We have the Cabela's Shower Shelter. It's a tall narrow tent. Bug proof and comes with a rain fly. It takes us roughly 5 minutes to set up.

It's nicely designed and seems sturdy. The most difficult part of setting it up is staking it down, but that's optional depending on the weather & location.

So far we've only used it as a potty & dressing tent. It's roomy enough at 4.5x4.5 at the floor to easily serve both functions with our Thetford potty set up in the corner. We have an old closed-cell sleeping mat left from our tent-camping days we throw in to protect the floor and keep it somewhat clean so we don't have to worry about walking in with our shoes on.

In most campgrounds we don't bother setting it up, but when dry camping or when it's a long walk with a hill involved to the restrooms it's little trouble and a great convenience to put it up.

If you go this route you may want to make a deal with her that she has to help set it up and stow it if this is the one she wants. You can set it up by yourself but it's a breeze with 2 people.
John
"Often wrong, but never in doubt!!"
iOpine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SandyD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:52 pm

From a woman's point of view ,,,,,,,,,,,, I prefer the bigger one.

I use it for changing, I put my duffle with clothes in there, the dirty clothes bag and a travel john. I still have room to move around.

I like the bar on the outside for hanging towels.

I can set it up and take it down by myself without problems.

Last time I was at Cabella's, they had both set up and I decided that this one was definitely the one to get. Comes with a hanging shelf and the shower. The top piece is a rain fly so you don't have to put it under a shelter if it's raining.

Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:26 pm

[quote="SandyD"]From a woman's point of view ,,,,,,,,,,,, I prefer the bigger one.

SANDY :shock:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby SandyD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:57 pm

You know,,,,, I was just outside and thinking,, that didn't sound right :lol:

Like fruit and whipped cream.

Leave it to me. :wacky
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I just got back from Cabela's. Got the smaller one. :twisted:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:07 pm

I have the bigger one with the poles. It takes me about 20 minutes to set up by myself and another 20 to take down. I've used it staked down in high winds with no problems and the inside has stayed dry in a downpour. I keep my port-a-potty in there along with a tv tray with a wash basin on top and there is still room to move around and get dressed.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:I just got back from Cabela's. Got the smaller one. :twisted:

sorry cliff :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:29 pm

bobhenry wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:I just got back from Cabela's. Got the smaller one. :twisted:

sorry cliff :lol:

:rofl: Funny sequence.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ricthestick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 pm

We just used some electrical conduit and got some canopy fitting to make the corners and the legstands. Got some material at Jo Ann fabrics sewed a fold over thing so the pole slid thur them and put on some ties. Shabby Shick LOL Looks good LOL see it at the IRG next week happy 4th
ricthestick
Teardrop Inspector

Grand Trunk dunny (Cabelas)

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:40 am

I purchased this one but have yet to use it for its intended purpose. Back in April I took it on a dive trip and several of us used it to put on our dry suits in the rain. It is very roomy and sets up in less than a minute. The floor is also removable which is nice.

Grand Trunk Dunny

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby azmotoman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:31 am

Okay, so we purchased the Bass Pro Shops pop-up model that folds down into a round package. Wifey watched me struggle with it as she read the instructions and FINALLY came to my aid! Hey, this is my second marriage and I think I'm learning something about how to get her involved (play dumb and let her do the work - lol). Really, I'm not like that, but she wanted a potty/shower, so that's my reward for being the loving hubby.

So, today I discovered that the folding potty w/bags will fit into the same pouch as the BPS shower tent! BONUS! Just like the days when I hiked. Anything that weighed over 8 oz. had to be:

1) Multi-purpose
2) essential
3) edible (except alcohol)

Good rules, somewhat, to live by!
;)
Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch!
Dinero isn' ¡t todo, pero él mantiene el interés de los niños!
azmotoman
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am

Another "woman's point of view". We have the outback shower tent, which is basically a clone of the spring loaded tent you show. http://www.campausa.com/shower_enclosure.htm I love it precisely for the reasons you give. It takes about 1 minute tops to set up, no poles to lose. Although since it is slanty, it doesn't work right next to the td, it is more than big enough. LIttle more challenging to fold up. Need to practice at home and watch the video, then it is easy.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets