Shower Secrets

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Shower Secrets

Postby felixx » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:06 am

I use baby wipes
They get me clean enough for the 1-2 night trips I do.

that and a can of spray deodorant (we call the can of deodorant an englishman's bath here)

I do have a bottle of hand sanitiser to use before food prep
felixx
Donating Member

Postby grassgd » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 pm

I have often thought of trying to use the exhaust gas from my car as a source of heat instead of using a propane stove or propane fired water heater.

Even when a car is cold, the exhaust gas out of the tail pipe becomes hot very quick and could be used to heat water via a simple coiled copper type exchanged stuck on the end of the exhaust pipe.

I have seen people do this with flues from wood burning stoves to get hot water.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

The problem with this might be controlling the water temperature unless you use it to preheat a container of water to the desired temp then disconnect and take a shower. If you try to shower with direct flow through the exhaust heater, you would need some way to control the water temperature.
grassgd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Squareback » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:29 pm

Using a 12v water pump pulling water from an 18 gallon marine grade container housed inside a wooden box bolted to the bottom of the camper and sending it to a Triton instahot shower unit. I installed a quick disconnect fitting coming out of the instahot unit and have a shower head and a longer hose with a sprayer attached like what's used at a kitchen sink. :D

LEVI
Squareback
Teardrop Inspector

Baking soda & ACV as shampoo & conditioner

Postby kudzu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:15 am

Have been searching for decent biodegradable shampoo & conditioner. At a minimum, was hoping to find something good enough to use when camping, but really wanted something to use at home as well. Nothing I tried worked well enough that I wanted to use it again, even for camping. Did keep searching though. That's how I came across the idea of using baking soda in place of shampoo & apple cider vinegar (ACV) as a rinse. To my considerable surprise, it works for me. Have used this approach for the last couple weeks & will probably continue. Will likely use my regular, sulfate-free shampoo & conditioner once a week or so. The baking soda & ACV are at least good enough to use on their own for a week or two. That gives me a cheap & easy, biodegradable substitute for shampoo & conditioner. Below is my approach & experience.

It seems most people who use baking soda liked it at first but found it dried out their hair when used long term. I figured it was worth a shot. To my surprise, it works pretty well. Most people seemed to be using a lot more baking soda than what works for my hair. I put a teaspoon of baking soda in a 4 ounce bottle & filled it with water. The baking soda doesn't seem to dissolve so I have to shake it well each time I use it. I applied it by just pouring a very small amount onto my scalp in about 4 spots, top, right, left & back of head. Scrubbed it into my scalp as best I could then rinsed it out well. It got my hair squeaky clean. It was too squeaky, actually. So that's why I used I needed a conditioner or rinse of some sort. I estimate I'm only using less than 1/4 tsp of baking soda each time.

Had used apple cider vinegar on my long-haired dogs before so decided it might be worth a try for my hair. Just happened to have a little 2 oz spray bottle left over from a travel kit. Just poured the ACV into the bottle & sprayed it onto my hair. It didn't take a lot, maybe 1/2 oz or less. Then I rinsed that out & did my hair styling routine as usual. It seems to work well. The only downside is that the vinegar smell lasts for about 30 minutes so. Then I found out that if my hair gets wet again later that day a faint vinegar odor reappears for a few minutes. However, neither of us can detect an odor after that. It's rather surprising.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:33 am

Vinegar is acidic. I wouldn't think that it would be so good to have residual on your hair for long periods of time.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:01 pm

KC, supposedly it's that very acidity that helps balance the PH in your hair. Since baking soda is a base, the acidity of the ACV is supposed to balance things out. It reportedly has a similar PH balancing effect after the comparative harshness of shampoos. Not sure how much acidity is left after rinsing it out but it doesn't seem to be enough to cause a detrimental effect. Chemistry was a long, long, long time ago so I'm not claiming to fully understand that. :NC Just know it seems to do a good job on my hair & worked wonders on the dogs. Though... a giant sized dog doused with ACV can cause an odiferous situation that tends to linger in the house for a while. :lol:
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby tfunk » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm

MidTNJasonF wrote:
tfunk wrote:The 5 gallon Cornelius kegs work well. Have a dip tube. One in one out, pressure relief at 35 psi built in, stainless steel. Typically 25$ at a home brew supplier.
I have been using a 10 watt pump. 35 psi @1.2 gpm, hooked it up with 3/8 air and water hose. The high pressure allows me to use less water.

I wish you could find them for $25. They are $60 to $75 for ball lock style and about ten bucks cheaper for pin lock fitting kegs.

Supply and demand. The supply is drying up and the demand is growing.

Wow, I just looked. I haven't had to buy any in years, we don't make as much beer as we used too.
tfunk
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets