COBB BBQ

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

COBB BBQ

Postby Christine » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:31 pm

We just got home from a 9 night camping trip. :D we took along our new COBB BBQ. It was absolutley fantastic. We cooked ribs, salmon, chicken, chops, pizza and a cake. This little BBQ only uses between 6-10 Briquets and cooks for up to 3 hours. It wieghs only 8.5 pounds and has it's own carry case. This treasure is going to be joining us on all the future trips and I am going to leave the propane BBQ at home.
A great addition to the teardrop camping style.
Christine
Christine
Teardrop Builder

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:12 pm

Christine,
Last count, I had five different barbeques...
I've never heard of this brand name before.
You got my curiosity up and I found this link: http://www.cobbgrills.com/
That is one sweet looking little unit!!!
I like the idea of how few briquettes it uses, because I go through a lot of briquettes.
BTW-Briquettes cost way more in the Winter.
Looks like I'm going to have to get one of these little jewels!!!
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:24 pm

...looks to be a really interesting unit, I didn't see anything about how wide it is...what is the diameter of the grill...can you put a large sirloin onit
madjack 8)

...never mind, I found the answer...it is 12.5 inches in diameter...all I had todo was look in the FAQ's
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby billnut » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:58 pm

How much does the Cobb weight?

8 pounds. It is 12" x 12" x 12.5". The cooking surface is 12.5" in diameter. You can cook an 8lb Chicken on the grill
This is what I got on the site :D
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:10 pm

Christine,
It seems a bit small for my habit, but it sure would fit in nicely with a teardrop trailer, eh?
I like the cooking times that I'm seeing... longer the better in my book.
The low amount of of briquettes used is impressive!
It seems a bit pricy for a unit of that size, but seems to be high quality.
How well does the non-stick surface hold up over time, from heat?
What kit did you buy?
Did you buy it online or at a show?
Please tell me more...

Postby kurtibm » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:50 am

It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:44 am

I have been waiting to hear about someone's experience with this little cooker unit. I have been eyeing it for some time, but wanted to hear if it worked well. Thanks for the scoop Christine, I am going to have to get one now! :thumbsup:

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Christine » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:48 pm

Dean,
I purchased the COBB at the Tall Ships Festival held in Victoria this past June. I didn't buy the wok or frypan but will be ordering them soon.
I find clean up very easy. Just spray the moat, grill and inside of the dome with Pam. I scrub the moat with a scrubby. I was camping and my wash up is done in square Rubbermaid tubs. Easy as pie. After my first use it did loose it's "out of the box" newness but still looks great.
Christine
Christine
Teardrop Builder

Re: COBB BBQ

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:56 pm

Christine wrote:We just got home from a 9 night camping trip. :D we took along our new COBB BBQ. It was absolutley fantastic. We cooked ribs, salmon, chicken, chops, pizza and a cake.

Thanks for the heads up on this. :applause: I thought someone mentioned it was on sale at Camping World but I can't find that note.

The original prices were listed as $129-149. Camping World has it for $80 for members and $89 to others. This is the expensive version with the case and recipe book at a great price. I have it right in front of me and may have to lunch on it. And I will be getting the wok and pan later. :thumbsup:

I have a new Coleman perfect flow but I missed my baked potatoes. The Coleman worked fine but then the gas connection/valve broke. Coleman Inc sent a replacement part at no charge and I got it today. My worry is the part broke after less than 6 uses and they were almost too quick to replace it. It could be a chronic problem so I have a better fix, called The Cobb and I will have baked potatoes again. :twisted:

The Camping World sale gones until August 21.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:23 pm

I found the other comments about the Cobb in the recipe section.

I plan on trying Christine's salmon recipe this weekend with some Wild Salmon from Costco :R

NOTE TO DOG OWNERS: Don't let your dogs have raw wild salmon, there is something in it that may cause terminal problems for some dogs.

Christine: Is there a preferred fire starter? I am from the old school of "pour some more fluid on it" toss the match and jump back. I see Cobb does not recommend that approach.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Christine » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:55 am

dmb90260
I use Zip fire starters. They come in individually wrapped squares. no more breaking off a chunk from a big block. Simply light the wrap. I use 2 fire starters at a time.

Christine
Christine
Teardrop Builder

Re: COBB BBQ

Postby brad vk2qq » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:46 pm

dmb90260 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on this. :applause: I thought someone mentioned it was on sale at Camping World but I can't find that note.

The original prices were listed as $129-149. Camping World has it for $80 for members and $89 to others. This is the expensive version with the case and recipe book at a great price. I have it right in front of me and may have to lunch on it. And I will be getting the wok and pan later. :thumbsup:

Oh, if only things were as cheap here in NSW Australia.

BBQ's Galore have just released the Cobb here, with frying pan , for AU$239. We wandered aimlessly into their Bowral store last weekend and they had one on a table as a demo, roasting a chicken, potatoes, carrots and capsicum. The store smelled Great!

The case is fairly cool to touch, at least it doesn't look like any serious burns are possible.
:thumbsup:
brad vk2qq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby billnut » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:02 am

I got a Cobb for our Sep. Redwood trip .
I'm cooking and if Sis don't get sick! It's all do to the Cobb.
Bill :lol:
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:45 pm

billnut wrote:I got a Cobb for our Sep. Redwood trip .
I'm cooking and if Sis don't get sick! It's all do to the Cobb.
Bill :lol:

The Cobb will bake potatoes but they have to be quite small. Trader Joe's has the perfect size to fit into the trough. That just means you get more of them and they do cook nicely. If you look, TJ may have a bag of mixed taters, red, white whatever. That will help beautify your dining experience. Do it with style. :wine:
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:28 am

I love to marinate the small red tatersin oil and montreal steak seasoning put them on a skewer and place them over an open fire 20-25 minutes later baked taters already seasoned.

George
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Next

Return to Camping Secrets