diabetic camp cooking?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

diabetic camp cooking?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, not a big surprise as I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic 50+ years ago.
Diet is taking care of it nicely but I am looking for camp recipes and ideas.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby honeask » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Sorry to hear the diagnosis, never fun is it? I feel your pain. Use as lean a meat as possible, cut the carbs to low useage, cut salt. In a dutch oven you can do stir frys over brown rice. Grilled chicken. I use Ground turkey breast meat with some chicken fajita seasoning, mix in a little fresh salsa, put it in some lettuce leafs put on browned turkey breast, salsa and some avacado and wrap it up. Very fast and very good. You can find some good recipes online and if you use dutch ovens already you know you can cook most recipes. Make portions the right size, don't over eat and the big one.....exercise. I'm afraid it's not what you wanted to hear. :(
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Sorry to hear that bud, going on 14yrs with it now and the wife has it also. We do alot of preprep stuff like chicken salads for lunchs, we will grill lean beef (steaks or burgers) and eat a lot more veggies. We love potatoes but unfortunately they do not like diabetics. Brown rice is good but remember portion control is big part of controling it. Keep stuff with you like granola bars (14g of carb), and a juice that has 24g of sugars or carbs. I keep some in all my vehicles and have Koolaid coolers for when my sugar drops. We both have found that when we camp we're both are more active and thats when our sugar drops. Hope this helps you some.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Redgloves » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Ideally your diabetic educator will work with you to adapt your favorite items to your new eating lifestyle.

This is a lifestyle, not diet.

As with any new lifestyle choice, give your self permission to totally screw it up sometimes. Which is different then denial.
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby bc toys » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:18 pm

go to WWW.LVDOS.COM ask Kathleen she has a sugar free cook book out
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mightydog » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:00 am

Redgloves wrote:...give your self permission to totally screw it up sometimes.

My sister taught me about portion control and, more importantly, that when you screw up you always have the next meal to fix it.

I discovered that prepping insulin needles before we leave is the cleanest way to do it. I use an old water bottle in the cooler to keep them safe from being bashed around while still staying cold.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Anita Rae » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Ideally you will be wanting to watch your carbs. Go to the Low Carb friends forum because they have some really great recipes.

I fixed one last night that would be really good for camping. Buffalo Chicken. I cut up some chicken dipped it in egg. I rolled hubbies in flour but I rolled mine in parm cheese. Then I fried it up in a skillet and put buffalo sauce on it. I make the sauce out of equal parts of butter and Franks hot sauce. Practically zero carbs and soooo good.

Other suggestions,

Coleslaw – home made with sugar substitute, also Fried cabbage if you like it.
Deviled eggs
Salad, salad, salad
Squash casserole if you have an oven or make ahead.
SF Jello is our friend and I put lots of whipped cream on in because I make it myself and it is SF.
I use heavy whipping cream in my coffee and splenda.

I will try to think of more.
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:32 pm

If you eliminate bread, pasta, white rice, white potatoes and sugar, you're almost there! It really is that easy!

Check out a Dr. Bernstein book if you want all the details!

As for recipes for camping, how about a small steak and a large salad?

or a piece of salmon and lots of asparagus?

For the Dutch oven, anything that doesn't use the white stuff should work.

Chell just did a new recipe that is awesome that would work in the Dutch oven. It's Indian Chili with green beans instead of red kidney beans. :thumbsup:

I'll ask her to post the recipe for you.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks folks, I am still wrapping my mind around this. I was just hoping that some one had written a camp cook book or had a web site. There are certain things I have been able to use i.e. a killer jerky recipe but face it there are certain things such as trail mix and any pasta dish that are now verboten.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Shadow Catcher
I have been able to use i.e. a killer jerky recipe but face it there are certain things such as trail mix and any pasta dish that are now verboten.

Not necessarily, if you portion control you still can, ask the nutrionist when you go see them. Thats usually one of the first things your doc will do is send you to one. Since my doctor got me dialed in I still eat some white stuff but its in smaller portions and I still keep my sugar down where it needs to be.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 pm

I did some work on my diet last year. A nutritionist can be your best friend. I ended up dropping a bunch off my A1c test in 9 months to get me out of the borderline category. I increased my Veg and fiber intake. I haven't lost much weight just size.

The toughest thing can be trying something new or something that you remembered as bad. I ended up figuring out how to make some tasty brown rice.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Camp Cooking

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:00 pm

8) Kathleen's book, " Eat Me, I'm Sugar Free", has a variety of recipes which you would enjoy. And eating in moderation, trading off foods, etc. will start to come easier to you as you grapple with this over time. Eating right, along with exercise, will be a real boon. My Mom was able to stave off DT2 for years with proper foods, walking, and regular monitoring of her blood sugar. Best wishes to you,
TDN
:worship:
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby chamas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:04 pm

OK here is my Indian Chili with Green Beans recipe:

Take 3 large tomatos, blanch them and remove peel and hard core. Cut in to small 1 inch pieces. Set aside.

Roughly chop 1 large onion. set aside.

Take 2â€
This is Chell's appraisal formed in my mind about this particular matter. :-) Chell of www.tnttt.com formally www.mikenchell.com
chamas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BadKarma » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm new here but I was diagnosed a year ago. I had my checkup Fri and they cut my meds in half. Diet is very very important, but activity is just as. Get out there and get moving. I walk 3-4 miles 3 times a week.

When I was diagnosed my A1C was 13+, Fri it was 5.6. Play the game and play it well and you can win.
BadKarma
Teardrop Inspector

Postby catrinka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Several years ago when I was diagnosed we were doing a lot of family camping, with marshmallows over the fire. I started doing baked apples in foil on the campfire. By the end of the camping season, everyone was doing baked apples, no more marshmallows! I core an apple and fill it with margarine, cinnamon, brown sugar splenda, nuts, raisins, wrap it in foil and put it on the fire until it is soft.
catrinka
500 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets