How much water? Also, vintage style storage solutions.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

How much water? Also, vintage style storage solutions.

Postby 46Kit » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:29 pm

The wife and I acquired a '46 Kit Kamper last month and are gearing up for our first outing in early October. This may seem like a goofy question, but it's been a while since I've done any camping and I'm wondering how much water we should bring along with us for a 4 days, 3 nights excursion?

We will be in a campground so I reckon water will be available, but I have an eye toward having our teardrop set up for dispersed (or dry) camping in the long run. Reckon we first ought to try getting along on our own store of water in a situation where it will not be a hassle if we run short!

Also wondering if anybody has any suggestions on "period correct" water storage solutions. Some blue plastic water jugs from Cabela's are cheap and easy to come by, but not really in keeping with the authentic camping gear theme we're trying to embrace with our tear. I've seen some stainless jerry cans that may fill the bill, but at $150 a pop not very economical...

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 46Kit » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Well I was able to answer my own question about vintage style storage solutions. Seems there are these stainless steel vessels used in olive oil, vinegar and wine making called fusti cans and they can be had in sizes from 3 liters to 100 liters (100 liters = 26.4 US gallons). There's even a retail store in Napa that carries a whole selection of them. The hundred liter job is up around $200, but considering that it's new made food-grade equipment I'd be willing to pony up a bit more...

Still like to hear from folks on how much water to bring for, say a long weekend excursion.

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

I carry 2 4 gallon hard plastic containers. When I get to my campground I drive by the water station and fill up and then head to my campsite. No need to carry the extra weight. If I know my camp ground has no water I fill them at home and bring them. Two full containers is enough for dishes etc for a 3 night stay.

I have one of those olive oil containers in my kitchen, It holds 1 gallon. They are beautiful but the fill will drip slightly after using it and I would worry about beating the thing up or breaking the fill off transporting it. If you want to make a statement though, that will do it! ;)
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Big Dan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:18 am

In addition to any container you might find. A few milk jugs, frozen in the Ice chest will add to your storage. I use a 5 gallon jug and never use it all for 2 to 3 days. Would probably be enough for a 4 day depending on your usage.
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:52 pm

I just returned from Burning Man. 7+ days on a dry, hot, windy, dusty playa. They say 1.5 gallons of water per day per person. That proved to be more than enough. unless you are addicted to showering every day with more than a rinse off. But one really does not need to shower that often as we found out in our camp.

:lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby john warren » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 am

i have an old coleman water cooler, the sort used in construction.
it hold five gallons and has a spigot tap.
i fill it up at the campsite , or close by if no water is available.
with cooking , washing up, and general wet frivolity it lasts a day or two.
john warren
Teardrop Master

Postby john » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 pm

In the standy we use a one of those downsized plastic office water cooler jugs. The faucet pumps the water out. We buy one full jug and refill it a few times. Once it begins to turn funky we trade it in for a new full one.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:40 pm

We have a 12 gal internal tank and at CGI (three days) used only five including dish washing. We also carry a 5gal flexible water container that can be run through the water filters into the tank.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 am

I didn't put a water tank in the PT, just a hose connection to my sink. I am not planning on camping where there is no water connection. But, in case I do, I'll get a collapsible water jug like I had in the Squidget. I also plan to carry a Brita filter pitcher for my drinking water.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

water mmmm

Postby Mstoffo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 pm

there are calculators and such that take into account weight, altitude, exercise, temps, alcohol consumption to maintain hydration

i think they are off but most folks are in mild dehydration most of the time or not as hydrated as they should be

i weigh 175 and withno exercise, and no other factors it says i should drink 3 liters a day

drink more if exercising, pregnant, breastfeeding, consuming alcohol, or if its very hot or cold

some say your weight divided by 2 is the # of ounces you should drink a day

then add in other needs, washing, brushing teeth, etc...

i have heard general rule of 1 gal per person per day
Mstoffo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Moho » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:41 pm

46Kit wrote:Well I was able to answer my own question about vintage style storage solutions. Seems there are these stainless steel vessels used in olive oil, vinegar and wine making called fusti cans and they can be had in sizes from 3 liters to 100 liters (100 liters = 26.4 US gallons). There's even a retail store in Napa that carries a whole selection of them. The hundred liter job is up around $200, but considering that it's new made food-grade equipment I'd be willing to pony up a bit more..

There were also desert water bags used, common because it also worked for the overheating car. They phased out in the early 50's

Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby wired » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Oooh. I got one of those hanging in my garage!

Moho wrote:
46Kit wrote:Well I was able to answer my own question about vintage style storage solutions. Seems there are these stainless steel vessels used in olive oil, vinegar and wine making called fusti cans and they can be had in sizes from 3 liters to 100 liters (100 liters = 26.4 US gallons). There's even a retail store in Napa that carries a whole selection of them. The hundred liter job is up around $200, but considering that it's new made food-grade equipment I'd be willing to pony up a bit more..

There were also desert water bags used, common because it also worked for the overheating car. They phased out in the early 50's

:D :D :D
wired
The 300 Club

Postby JuneBug » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:14 am

I'm having to rethink campground water after a recent experience. Went camping at Palo Duro Canyon State Park in the Texas panhandle just outside of Amarillo in September. Our camp spot had a water faucet (yeah) but the water did not agree with me. Not in a contaminated way, but just so different (minerals? more chlorine?) that it actually made my stomach hurt, and I have a pretty hearty tummy. So next trip (to Huntsville State Park last weekend) I just loaded up some water bottles filled at home for drinking and cooking, and used campground water for cleanup.
I discovered that four 3-liter Ozarka water bottles fit perfectly in my 25-year-old plastic milk box (the kind that people used to take from grocery stores*). The tops of the bottles sit just below the top of the box, so easy to stack or slip under the sleeping platform in our van. Very handy way to keep them from rolling around and leaking while traveling.

*I think you can buy these from Target/WalMart now, so you don't have to skulk around the loading dock at your local grocery store
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby mkitchen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:58 pm

(quote from 46 kit) Still like to hear from folks on how much water to bring for, say a long weekend excursion.

You are going to have to poke a hole in that bugeye before you get to carry a 100 liter can. Miss my old bugeye but not too sure if I would even fit in one any more. :)
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:24 pm

I carry two of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-5-Gall ... 4126wt_754

Wolffarmer wrote:Unless you are addicted to showering every day with more than a rinse off. But one really does not need to shower that often as we found out in our camp.

:lol:

Randy

When I went to Seattle this summer a woman told my brother that I needed to admit that I was a "drug addict" (I use opiates virtually every day). I'm the furthest thing one can be from a "drug addict" but I am addicted to a hot shower each day. Suzy likes me better that way.

I've found that 5 gallons of water per day, for two including showers and dishwashing, is adequate. I like the portable jerry cans as you can fill then up anywhere and transport them in the tow vehicle if required.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets