Dont have a clue; this isnt a bad thing.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Dont have a clue; this isnt a bad thing.

Postby Forrest747 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am

As I prepare for the Walk in teh Winds and taking my trailer out for camping trips i realize i have no clue on how to camp with a trailer. Did some poup camping but that was usually a stop a local resturant for breakfast lunch and dinner. or it was using the microwave to heat up those TV dinners or single entrees. When I have gone tent camping it was MRE (military rations) or soups. My dad once tried to gift to me a dutch oven and i turned him down wish i hadnt now but to be honest never done one and there is always a first. Have the coleman stove i bought and a cooler some water so i think i have the basics just no experience. Oh why didnt i help cook more in scouts, or maybe they didnt like my cooking. the two times i have taken her out camping i am enjoying it. Just need to learn how to cook outdoors and make tasty cobbler. That is my rant
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: Dont have a clue; this isnt a bad thing.

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Spend an hour or so reading here. I learned a ton of technique and there are hundreds of great recipies.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

As to a cobbler a 6 year old could toss one together

butter the D.O. then dump in the pie filling next dump in a box of cake mix make a well and pour in 8-10 ounces of almost anything sprite, rootbeer fruit juice even water and place 6 pats of butter equally spaced around the outside of your little volcano crater.

A 12" d.o takes 18 bricketts on top and only six on the bottom a 14" add 3 more on top and 1 more on the bottom. Then walk away for 45 minutes to an hour. I check with a kabob skewer when it come out clean the cake is done.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 pm

The New Forks is in a 'No Burn' season, which means no charcoal and that's what dutch ovens use to cook with. So, you're off the hook on the DO cooking at the Walk with the Winds gathering.

Forest, where you're going, I would think canned food would be your best bet. Cans keep well without need of refrigeration; and, if kept out of sight, 'most' bears won't know what you've got hidden and won't go looking for them.

During a No Burn season, propane stoves are okay; so, start with stove top cooking, heat-up type meals, like chili, stew, spaghetti and soups. They are always okay to camp with. As far as a peach cobbler, you can make something similar on the stove top. You just won't have a crisp brown crust on top; it'll be a dumpling style. ...Or, simply take a cake or cookies or brownies from home. They should keep in the distance that you're driving. I'd guess that you're only a 4 or 5 hour drive from the campground.

I'm finding that it costs some and/or requires effort to get properly "suited" up to cook with a dutch oven. Then, there's the extra weight and space it takes up.....
Take your time and think on it a while before you get into all the DO stuff and be certain that it's what you want to do. It's much easier to enjoy and "Oh" & "Ah" over someone else's DO creation and the compliments will feel like desserts to the DO cook's ears. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I've found that I can cook an incredibly good peanut butter and jelly sandwich when I'm camping! :lol:

I try to keep my cooking to a minimum since I am traveling alone, and cooking for one is a pain. Breakfast is spam and eggs, or pork roll and eggs. Sandwiches for lunch and I have nothing against a hot dog or two, and some baked beans for dinner. Franco American is my friend too, especially when they are on sale for $1.00 a can. I usually treat myself to a nice steak the first night out, and will sometimes bring size appropriate frozen spagetti sauce and I'll cook up some noodles. I'll usually pack some potato salad, and macaroni salad, and may make it last for two or three lunches along with my sandwiches.

Don't make more of it that you need to!

Oh.. a box of cereal is also good for any meal that you may choose not to cook for. Nothing wrong with a bowl of cheerios for dinner on a hot night!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Well being that i've always love to eat ,when we go camping I do all the cooking the 1st nite we usually have something easy pizza in DO. Then the next morning we have breakfast borretos, then that nite i'll fix a 1 dish meal or something good like wine seasoned beef ribs over rice or posta. You know something the wife would like to eat. go to Camp-cook.com and read some cooking there get with people that camp and ask them what they cook trust me a man that is proud of his cooking skills will teach you.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dmckruit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 pm

You can make a lot of things with a mountain pie iron and a fire.

If you have electric you can make stuff in a crock pot (or a dutch oven if not). Lots of info on http://www.camp-cook.com.

I make up soups, chili, meals etc at home and freeze them and throw them in the cooler. They not only help keep things cold, but they are simply heated up on a propane cook stove.

I fry the bacon at home and put it in a ziplock bag in the cooler. Then in the morning i just have to throw it in the pan with an egg and toast a muffin, add a slice of cheese and have a quick bacon, egg and cheese muffin.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Forrest I do alot of the cooking when we camp but Sheri actually fixes stuff for lunches before hand that she will keep in the cooler. She always does a chicken salad for me to make sandwiches and her to eat with crackers and chip. We will also make chili or potatoes soup and freeze it so its actually helping cool stuff in the cooler. Breakfast is usually already cooked sausages crumbled up, fried potatoes, eggs and cheese and warmed up tortia's. Hamburgers, sausage and hot dogs are alsosomething that is easy to eat when your camping also. Just set down and plan your meals ahead of time and you'll find its easy to camp and eat good without having to make it hard and fancy whencamping.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Photoman33770 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 pm

I cook. A lot. Even put out a cookbook.
The secret is planning ahead.
Think out a menu. What goodies do you want to eat. Outdoor food can not be beat.
When you are happy with the menus for the trip. make a shopping list of stuff you need to make it. EVERYTHING. Then check what you already have. Salt , pepper, sugar etc. Those you can scratch off your buy list. ( Don't forget to pack them )
The first days food can be fridge cool. Freeze the rest where possible. It helps keep everything cool with less work on the ice. If it thaws, fine, you are going to eat it before it goes bad anyway.
Think through in your head what you will do to cook whatever. What pot or pan etc. That will give you a full list as to what you need.
Recipes are everywhere and many are pretty easy.
If you are hurting for space. you can put seasonings in freezer zip locks ( Thicker plastic ) If you need a sauce you can do it ahead of time and zip lock that too.
Photoman33770
Teardrop Builder

Postby Vindi_andy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:14 am

Forrest747 wrote: Oh why didnt i help cook more in scouts, or maybe they didnt like my cooking.

Well I remember my scouts campfire cooking and we had to do a specific menu to earn the badge. I can only remeber a couplue of the things we di because they were so bad.

We did flour and water paste bread sticks cooked by wrapping them around agreen stick so it didnt burn. yeuch and even worse was the egg we cooked in a grapefruit skin double yeuch.

I do remember one of the guys cooking a meat and 2 veg meal without using a fire. Basically got a load of vegetation, leaves and the like wrapped his meal in foil and buried the lot in the ground. Cant remember how long it took but the heat from the decomp cooked his dinner. Not sure Id have wanted to eat it mind
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby Vindi_andy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

Double post removed
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby suckerpunched » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Worst come to worst....at WTW....pinedale is only twenty five miles away.....they should have a place to eat.......we'll survive.....TC
If you see my harley on a trailer,,,,call the police cause it's being stolen...
suckerpunched
Teardrop Master

Postby jmkjr72 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 pm

there is only one way to learn camp cooking and that is to get out and do it

anything you make in the oven at home you can make in a dutch oven with coals be it charcoal or fire coals

the key most of the time is when you start to smell it its getting close to done
dont check on it too often you will let the heat out

and dont be afraid to experiment either you would be surprised at what you can come up with if you add an extra item you had laying around

as for a cobbler start with a simple dump cobbler

make sure the dutch oven is oiled up good or use parchment paper to line it(i hate tin foil in the dutch oven)
dump in your pie filling or fruit (if its fruit drain some of the fluid)
then dump over a box of cake mix(dry if pie mix you can mix in a bit of the left over juice if canned fruit)
top with brown sugar and cinnamon
and cut up a stick of butter yes a whole stick of butter across the top

or you could top it with bisquick instead of cake mix but when i do that i like to use cream soda to make the batter before spreading over the top

keep things simple for breakfast with a mountain man breakfast
cook some bacon in the dutch oven along with sausage and ham if you want
then add the cubed spuds
as soon as the spuds start to cook you can dump in the scrambled eggs mixed with cheese and any other veggies you want to add like onions and peppers

as for dinner let your mind go wild stew roast cordon blue meatloaf what ever you want you can do it in a dutch oven
jmkjr72
Teardrop Builder

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:07 am

by jmkjr72 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 pm

there is only one way to learn camp cooking and that is to get out and do it

anything you make in the oven at home you can make in a dutch oven with coals be it charcoal or fire coals

I think you missed the part where WTW will be under no burn conditions. No camp fires, no charcoal, no normal DO cooking. Out here in the mountain west that's normal for most of the year these days. (I can light a fire at a campground right now, but the gate of that campground is probably locked because it is winter anyway.)

I have been using a solar cooker in low-wind weather (see http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.c ... ntral.html, I have the Global Sun Oven and one called the CooKit), but WTW in windy Wyoming, I don't know that a solar cooker will work. The reflective panels that focus the light/heat on the food act as big sails. I have been thinking for years of developing a car dashboard solar cooker, concentrating a bit of the heat that already collects in a car in the sun and benefiting by the fact that the car won't blow away. Maybe this is the year I will get that done!
:yes: :woohoo: (my kids always cheer me on)

So anyway, plan on stuff you can cook on a regular camp stove, or eat cold. Pack a cold anti-pasta plate, veggies and dip, cheese and summer sausage, sandwich makings, lots of fruit. It's time to explore the raw-food diet.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 am

jmkjr72 wrote:

and there is one thing you can make in a dutch oven that you CAN NOT make in your home oven !

Anyone at the 2011 CRA remember what it is ?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby angib » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Vindi_andy wrote:We did flour and water paste bread sticks cooked by wrapping them around agreen stick so it didnt burn.

Clearly, that menu item has been indelibly burnt into more psyche's than just mine.......
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets