Dispersed camping National forest with the government shutdo

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Dispersed camping National forest with the government shutdo

Postby notned » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:36 am

Anyone have direct knowledge about dispersed camping? It's hard to believe that they'll try to shut down the forest. It's hard enough to believe that they're trying for the parks. Yea for the ww2 vets.
notned
Donating Member

Re: Dispersed camping National forest with the government sh

Postby notned » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:28 pm

Sorry if my tone was wrong. Really trying to plan a camping trip this weekend.

Maybe nobody knows the answers.
notned
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:36 pm

I am curious myself. We plan to see what the status is this weekend. With the recent rule changes the dispersed camping thing has become much more restricted than in the past. My pessimistic side thinks the FS will do some stupid a$$ closings. The Santa Fe National Forest that surrounds our private property (cabin) has already closed many of the "no fee" fishing and picnic areas along the highway through the forest because of budget cutbacks. Yes, they left the "pay for day use" areas open. But now if they act like the NPS I expect to see these fee areas shut too. It would really be something if they lock the regular access gates too. I shall report Tuesday or late Monday.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:29 pm

The Vet memorial closing thing was a political dog and pony show. It cost more money to erect fencing and put up closed banners than it would have to just leave the open air public access park open.

I'm sorry, but whoever decided to close that park had another agenda than saving on the budget. Ridiculous. Anyone who has ever been there knows that the park will be just fine for a couple of days w/o the lawn being mowed and the trash cans being emptied.

Hurray for the DCPD for having the common sense and decency to amend that situation. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Lest this get out of hand and become a political finger pointing issue!

Closing it is NOT vindictive. It is NOT petty. It is NOT for show. It's the law!

The 1830 Antideficiency Act prohibits federal employees from

- making or authorizing an expenditure from, or creating or authorizing an obligation under, any appropriation or fund in excess of the amount available in the appropriation or fund unless authorized by law. 31 U.S.C. § 1341(a)(1)(A).
i- nvolving the government in any obligation to pay money before funds have been appropriated for that purpose, unless otherwise allowed by law. 31 U.S.C. § 1341(a)(1)(B).
- accepting voluntary services for the United States, or employing personal services not authorized by law, except in cases of emergency involving the safety of human life or the protection of property. 31 U.S.C. § 1342.
- making obligations or expenditures in excess of an apportionment or reapportionment, or in excess of the amount permitted by agency regulations. 31 U.S.C. § 1517(a).
Federal employees who violate the Antideficiency Act are subject to two types of sanctions: administrative and penal. Employees may be subject to appropriate administrative discipline including, when circumstances warrant, suspension from duty without pay or removal from office. In addition, employees may also be subject to fines, imprisonment, or both.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 pm

...around here, we have several FS CG's and day use areas...they have all been closed down...however, the forest is still open for usage, even with all the restrictions they have added in recent years...

I agree totally with the SHADOW...it's the law!!! There are plenty of fingers to be pointed on this deal, REGARDLESS of your political leanings...as my ol' Daddy used to say, for every finger you point, there are 3 more pointed right back at YOU.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tony.latham » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:02 pm

The USFS lands are open. Dispersed camping will not be an issue. I suspect any campground with a gate on it is locked but don't know that for sure.

Congress is acting like spoiled brats.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby roadinspector » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 am

My annual vacation is starting tomorrow. We stay at an Army Corp of Engineering campground in Arkansas. So needless to say they are closed. I got lucky & found a State Park that had an opening. Business is booming for the State Parks. The Feds have given notice to all campers to vacate.
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby working on it » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 pm

slowcowboy wrote:
by the time we take the tarps off the teardrops in wyoming next june they should have figured out what the heck they are going to do in washington
slow

Hope you're right; but, by my reckoning, they've had over 200 years to figure things out, and haven't done it yet. But, then again, maybe they do have it figured out, and I just didn't receive the memo....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I don't see how they could stop the camping up in the Superior National Forest in MN. Can't close the roads as the loggers use them.
As for the government, always entertaining
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 am

Well here in Nevada they closed all fed parks but the state parks are still open and BLM land is open to camping dry witch most of us do anyway There is lots of open land in ever state just got to find it or ask the old farmer if you can camp on their land We will make it threw all of this
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:13 am

during the 17th govt. shut down I remember hopping the fence with my parents to walk on the local national wildlife refuge, most of the local towns were there doing the same thing.
I have a list of places I want to get into during the 18th.

the politics of the WWII memorial is being proven by the fact the Lincoln memorial and the rest were not fenced off during the 17th. The park service workers were directed to close the WWII memorial to keep honor flight veterans out and "cause the most pain" (something they don't understand). The same thing is happeing in Normandy France at the veiwing areas, and the blue ridge parkway. the fact they can afford fencing (not just barriers and police tape like the first day) and gaurds on a privately funded and operated (I donated) memorial :x
Arizona is ready to fund and operate the grand canyon, but was told no...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Desert-rat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm

dispersed camping is about the only way i've done it. mostly because campgrounds have people

usually on BLM land and not National Forest.

they ask you to stay to established paths and disturb as little of the wildlife as possible. and of course pack in everything you've brought to leave it as you found it or better
Desert-rat
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Camping Secrets