Coleman folding camp oven

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Coleman folding camp oven

Postby kookenotes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Has anyone had any experience baking with the Coleman folding oven on a single burner stove? I have the 502, 440, 442 and several butane backpacking stoves that I can use. I have used it on my two burners, both gas and propane, with pretty good success but it is hard on the paint job on those stoves. I would like to try to run it on the 502 and figure that someone on here has probably tried it. Bill
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Coleman folding camp oven

Postby Weirdnerd » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 pm

One trick I have found somewhere in this forum is to use volcanic rock on the bottom ( like the rocks they sell for gas grills), it evens out the heat and makes for wonderful muffins, bread, ham and cheese sandwiches and small pizzas... take your time to learn how to regulate the heat, I normally work it out to a simmer to get around 350 to 375F.
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:35 am

I have used two fire bricks that came out of an older wood burning stove. Was able to use on a 425 and hold 400 for about 2 hours to bake a frozen apple pie. I have never tried it on any of those other stoves you listed. If trying on a 502 would need to make some kind of support. But I figure you have all ready thought about that. I am not sure but I do not think a 502 makes as much heat as a 425. But I could be wrong on that. So I would not expect to get as hot. It will run about 3 hours on a tank of fuel at full blast.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Weirdnerd » Fri May 09, 2014 11:20 pm

I have found out that the best stoves to use with a Coleman folding oven are the 413 and the 426, the grate size and burner location makes them perfect, so the oven don't stick out, and the wind shields don't interfere....if I was using a single burner, most likely I would make a wind shield box with piano hinges to make a "base" for the oven, and to prevent the single burner stove to become overheated or unstable while baking.
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Return to Camping Secrets