Tarps question...

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Gage » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:29 pm

Namsayn wrote:PS Gage, that isn't a campsite. That's a garage! You could raise a whole family of pygmies in there.
Not that I should comment what with two tarps, a SportZ and a lean-to tent. By the time I get set up for a weekend, it's usually time to start back home.
:lol: Yea, but I stayed dry. If you notice my tear was bare wood, no skin and no way was it going to get wet. Today if I know there's a chance of rain the whole weekend I just take one tarp so as to have a place to sit and eat in the dry, do nothing and enjoy the rain. Other wise, I just use an Ez-up plus I have the side room. Have a storm hinge on the galley I don't worry about water coming in that way and I'll also set the Ez-up over part of the hatch and extend it to the rear.

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Chip wrote: Heck at least my last tent had set up directions,, I think???

Happy Teardroping/Tentbuilding

Chip,

That's the joy of tarps, no instructions. You get em up there and say "Look what I done did..!!!" :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Chip » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:23 am

ok,, well lets raise the level of tarpology to an art form,,, its not just blue tarps strung up its an open canvas and we are effecting our personal space,, even for a short time , with blue, water repellent material that is ecologlically friendly,, one day the art is there and the next its gone,, to be reworked another day at another place,,,

So when you wander thru a campground appreciate the mass of blue and green and silver tarpage,,, the artist have given us a flowing expression of their desire to be somewhat dry and out of the wind,,,,

:applause: :applause: :applause: :awesome:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Namsayn » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:14 am

Chip wrote:

lets raise the level of tarpology to an art form,,, its not just blue tarps strung up its an open canvas and we are effecting our personal space,, even for a short time , with blue, water repellent material that is ecologlically friendly,, one day the art is there and the next its gone,, to be reworked another day at another place,,,

Well said and very poetic! I'm impressed! :thumbsup: Spoken by a true tarpologist.
One of my ww kayaking weekends was spent doing nothing BUT stringing the tarps and tent leaving the two kayaks on the roof rack. I was too tired to boat so I set up a radio, read a book and looked for more places to shore up (and further beautify) the tarpage. Took lots of grief but, as Chip said, it was a work of art--in my mind at least.

Randy
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chip » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:57 pm

Randy,, sitting and pondering your handi work is half the fun,, It isnt always what is at the end of the trip its the journey getting thar thats important,,,,

Dang,, I got to start dranking more in the middle of the week,,, this being reflective is giving me a headache,,,,

chipper :thinking:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby purplepickup » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:15 pm

If I'd get a trailer done I wouldn't have to be such a tarpologist. I've posted a couple of these pics before but there's some creative tarping pics of my "Pop-up" here http://community.webshots.com/album/246407605LvNrop/1

With a little pickle juice I might have even come up with a party room. :eyebrows:
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby EZ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:32 pm

You can fabricate anything you want from tarp material. I made some really nice sails for my sailboat using a white, thick (14 mil?) tarp I purchased on the web from www.tarpsonline.com. With a roll of double-faced outdoor carpet tape, a rolling pin and a cheap grommit kit you can make any design that you want. The stuff looks like it will last; much thicker than blue tarps. I am planning on making a nice awning or canopy from it.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:00 pm

EZ wrote:You can fabricate anything you want from tarp material. I made some really nice sails for my sailboat using a white, thick (14 mil?) tarp I purchased on the web from www.tarpsonline.com. With a roll of double-faced outdoor carpet tape, a rolling pin and a cheap grommit kit you can make any design that you want. The stuff looks like it will last; much thicker than blue tarps. I am planning on making a nice awning or canopy from it.

Ed

Hey Ed, Not sure on your grip of metrics but 14mil over here converts to just over 1/2" in the old language, no wonder it's heavier :? :lol:
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:34 pm

PaulC wrote:Hey Ed, Not sure on your grip of metrics but 14mil over here converts to just over 1/2" in the old language, no wonder it's heavier :? :lol:
Cheers

Paul,

Must be an American thing...

mil - a unit of length equal to one thousandth of an inch; used to specify thickness (eg, of sheets or wire)

Seems it would be more appropriate to call it a thou.....

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:06 pm

Steve, I stand corrected :oops: Now that you've mentioned it I do remember that. I think I should learn to :MLAS before I jump in.
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby GregB » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:54 am

Steve,

Its one more example of our weird language. "Mille" is latin-based and means thousand in French and Italian, why we use it and actually abbreviate it to "mil", is beyond me. When I was in France an old (read ancient) woman there said that in older French "million" meant thousand but in newer million meant million. Apparently we aren't the only ones who have a bit of schizophrenia.

(And another thread gets hijacked)

Your friendly amateur word sleuth,

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Shiro » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:07 am

Chip wrote:In a moderate rain try stretching a piece of stretchy cling wrap over the hinge area from side to side, small piece of duck tape to hold it in place and ya got a clear water channel that puts the water running off the edge or side of the trailer rather than down into the galley,,, its got to be put on dry or it wont stick,, kept me dry inside the galley several times,,

chipper :thumbsup:

What a great idea! :thumbsup: :applause:
Shiro
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Aussie Nomad » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:50 am

Ian. :D
Aussie Nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:50 pm

here ya go..the perfect companion to your tarp projects...a door in the tarp!!!! Image
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Derek » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:04 pm

Tarps used in camping is like duct tape and home repairs, both are equally effective :twisted:
Tarps and duct tape used together: a force to be reckoned with!!! :lol:

Derek
Derek
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets