BioLite Stove

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

BioLite Stove

Postby PubUltraStar » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:43 pm

Santa brought me a BioLite stove this Christmas. Apparently, instead of burning gas, you burn sticks and you can charge your USB devices in addition to cooking your food. Fun!

There is always risk in being awesome!
http://www.diy-teardrop.com/
http://www.m2-photo.com
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Re: BioLite Stove

Postby pchast » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Nice gift! :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:29 am

Interesting idea....I've seen these since it was a kickstarter project. I can't imagine finding 3 or 4 hours worth of sticks and twigs to feed this little wonder. With a blower, I can see the fire pot being ashes in just a few minutes.... What is your experience with burn times on a full load?

We don't have any place to truly boondock around us...so I don't see one of these in my future. If TEOTWAKI happens....I won't care about the phone
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ae6black » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:23 pm

any videos of these things in action?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:32 am

ae6black wrote:any videos of these things in action?

Art

There are several on Youtube. I think they are quite amazing little stoves.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:01 am

It's basicly a rocket stove.
Can't say I can fathom the usb charge part but a rocket stove can be made for free or cheap.
Use a 9 kg gas bottle and purge it with water.
While full with water chop the top off then invert it and weld it back on.
The hole saw the hole size of the pipe you can find in the side and top and weld a 90 degree of that pipe in place.
If you insulate the body of the old tank with vermiculite or ash you'll have a super efficient cooker
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:24 am

The charger (to me) isn't anything but a proof of concept in this size device. This is done on a larger scale in space vehicles by using the difference between the cold of space and whatever heat source is in use to make the vehicle human habitable. Another idea for this type of electrical generation is to use a large tube made of two different metals, one end lying in a solar pond along the sea coast and the other end several hundred feet deep in cold sea water.

It's cool that it works, but on this scale very, very little energy is produced. I would also be leery about having expensive electronics close enough to an unpredictable heat source to charge them.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby kludge » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:55 am

I've had the stove for a couple years now but I have yet to use it. My little 5# propane tank and stove are just too convenient. :R

Last year I also bought the Kettle. I swear I will use them on my next backpack trip. ;)

On the down side, the reviews of the charger are not so great - the USB charging pans/pots seem to get better reviews for charging - more charging power... but I was more interested in avoiding canister fuel/propane... everywhere I go has plenty of fuel lying all around. The disadvantage of the cups/pots is that you have to be boiling water for them to charge.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Lucky you! I'd love to have one. Researched them a bunch before getting an MSR Pocket Rocket for my trailer. I really loved how clean (no smoke) they burn once they get going. Will get one someday since they'd be great to have in an emergency kit even for the house. Looking forward to hearing your review after you've used it a bit. Went to an REI "Garage Sale" once hoping to find a returned one at a good price but no such luck. Someday.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cheri832 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 pm

In the 80's I bought a Sierra Zip stove that works on a similar principal... with the blower and would burn twigs, pinecones, charcoal. It was for backpacking below the tree line. I still have it and it still works 30 some years later. I could cook for an hour on 4 charcoal brickets and still have enough heat to wash dishes in hot water. Can't wait to hear how this second generation stove works.
Cheri
Cheri
cheri832
Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets