Where to find water on a road trip

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Where to find water on a road trip

Postby dancam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 pm

So we are doing a long (3 month, 20k mile) road trip next summer across Canada. Going to try to stay out of campgrounds that cost money. Maybe 1 out of every 3 nights or less pull into a cheap campground I am thinking.
So Where would we get water? I plan to have 3 days worth of drinking/cooking/washing water storage in the trailer and a tank under the trailer which when full would give the 4 of us 1 shower each. So where would you find drinking water in towns your passing through? Many campsites I have been to over the years do not have potable water. And for the shower water- is there places you can just get 80L of water cheap or free? Or some sort of a filter I could pump river water through into a 5 gallon jug, then pour it into my tank? Would you have to add like a capful of bleach to that to keep things from growing in the tank?
I'm sure i'm far from the first person doing something like this so im looking forward to hearing what you guys do. Thanks
dancam
The 300 Club

Re: Where to find water on a road trip

Postby John61CT » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Recent thread, asking about cities, but. . . http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sho ... #pid304165
John61CT
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:33 am

Having spent three weeks on the roads of northern Utah and southern Utah in April, I found water to be a bit of a challenge.

RV parks didn't blink an eye when we asked if we could top off our seven gallon jug. Some gas stations have a faucet and were fine with us topping off the jug while fueling up. When you hit a laundromat, they usually have a deep sink that you can use.

I think the big thing might be to mention how big your container is. That way they don't think your filling up a 35 gallon onboard tank.

Tony
tony.latham
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 am

Or just say "not too much" if you are filling up a big tank 8-)
John61CT
The 300 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks guys, I also found this which was helpful:http://offtracktravel.ca/2015/02/24/finding-the-essentials-on-a-road-trip-in-canada/#comment-344542
I will look into what I need to do if i ever have to use river water later on. Should be able to reliably get potable water though.
dancam
The 300 Club

Postby PanelDeland » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 pm

I would do a KOA or such every 3 rd day so I could get a good shower. They have water at the site Usually so..... You can also usually fill up at a state campground even if you camp in a primitive site.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 pm

I have set our tear up to pull water from lakes and streams and make it potable with filters, exactly what we did when canoe camping in Canada.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:I have set our tear up to pull water from lakes and streams and make it potable with filters, exactly what we did when canoe camping in Canada.

I have been thinking about doing this, what did you use for a filtration system?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
The 300 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm

When i four wheeler camp i cant hual much water walmart has a good 20 buck in line filter from sayer in the camping section that works great to fill up at nearby moutain creeks ponds or lakes....2...when driving a propane truck for a job in years past I learned I can cipe water for my water bottle from rest stops drinking fountains..
I use very little water as i eat on paper plates alot so.one or 2 or 3 water bottles even bought in stores full folks my camping needs. 3. A gallon milk jug of water goes a long ways..slow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Return to Camping Secrets