Interesting Water Source for off grid

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Interesting Water Source for off grid

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 pm

If this gets down sized it might end up a boon for off-grid. If they can suck water out of Australian air, imagine what you can do in humid areas.

"relatively small, measuring 1.2 metres by 2.4 metres. Each panel is capable of holding 30 litres of water in a reservoir"
4 foot by 8 foot and holds 8 gallons of water! - wish they said how long it takes to do that....

https://www.theage.com.au/business/smal ... 4zc4i.html
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Re: Interesting Water Source for off grid

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Bill n Robi wrote:If this gets down sized it might end up a boon for off-grid. If they can suck water out of Australian air, imagine what you can do in humid areas.

"relatively small, measuring 1.2 metres by 2.4 metres. Each panel is capable of holding 30 litres of water in a reservoir"
4 foot by 8 foot and holds 8 gallons of water! - wish they said how long it takes to do that....

https://www.theage.com.au/business/smal ... 4zc4i.html

At US $3800 per panel, it's expensive water. I pay about $0.0012 per gallon. At that rate I have to use about 3.1 million gallons of water to make it pay.

Maybe in the Australian desert or similar.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 am

LOL!
"The trial will roll out the hydropanels in Sydney, Adelaide and Perth"

They say it is good for remote areas then roll it out in the biggest city in Australia. If it makes water in Alice springs then it is time to sit up and take notice....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:11 pm

That off grid water source system really appeals to me. Hopefully they will be able to sell a sufficient number of units to get the cost down to a reasonable amount by spreading overhead over more units.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 am

In our humid summers the cool basement walls condense water out of the air and can cause mold problems (PO's did not insulate basement walls before they paneled), so we run a portable dehumidifier to abate this. It fills its tub (maybe 2 gals) just about everyday. Way less cost and maybe 2 cubic ft of space. I'd drink the water if it was my only source. Not sure how much water you'd get out in a very arid climate, tho.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:12 am

Solar powered dehumidifier - and not a very efficient one. probably be better off hanging a cup off the back of your A/C and then boiling/filtering the result.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Return to Camping Secrets