Camping Tips Homemade Gear

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby kirtsjc » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Ma3tt wrote:I just summerged the whole thing in water displacing all the old propane. The apex of the mouth cut just around the valve, so hammer off the handles, sut around the valve. I think my grill is 12"? and it sets in there tight. I was way impressed with this little one hour project. It was way fun to do and the thing is fantastic for two people, it puts out great heat and is really pretty, Grind some designs in the sides they glow a different color when its burnin. there is a lady online that makes these and sells them for around $50 each.

Thanks for the advice, and the tips about ground designs!

:applause:
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:17 pm

Joanne wrote:The tank had set for months with the valve open but I still decided to fill it with water before cutting into it. Even after all that time you could smell the residual gas being displaced as I filled it with water. I know I'm stating the obvious, but you don't want to cut into a propane tank with residual gas in it.

The propane is heavier than air so it would have to sit upside down. Even then there could still be gas in it. Filling it with water is the best way to be shure it's empty.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Tear Fan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:56 am

Another way to use those toilet paper/paper towel rolls is to stuff them full of dryer lint. It's a sure-fire (pun intended) way to start your kindlin'. :lol:
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

More Boy Scout tips!

Postby gyroguy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:12 am

I’m a Scoutmaster, and here are some ideas we use.

1. Always use “strike anywhere” wooden matches to make waterproof matches. “Strike-on-box” matches are no good once you lose the striking surface on the box.

2. Dip wooden matches in paraffin wax to waterproof them, then scratch the paraffin off before you try to light the match. It lights easier.

3. Use colorless nail polish to waterproof matches, but let one dry and see if it lights before you do the whole box.

4. Use Frisbees for plates, not just plate holders.

5. Metal clothes hangers and pliers can make blanket pins, forks, candle holders, tongs, pot hangers, skewers, egg dippers, hot dog roasters, etc. Burn off the paint before using them with food items in case it’s lead paint. Twist wires together for more tensile strength.

5. Put a strip of cardboard around the inside perimeter of a tuna can. Fill can with paraffin wax and saturate the cardboard. This small stove that produces a circular flame.

6. Make a durable canteen from a plastic water bottle covered with aluminum foil, with a rope added and cinched around the neck, and covered with duct tape. Use only bottles that originally held food or drink.

7. Make cups from plastic water bottles by cutting them to shape with a pair of scissors. Use a lighter to melt the sharp edges and round them off. Use only bottles that originally held food or drink.

8. Make food preparation bowls from 2- or 3-liter plastic pop bottles as in #7 above. Also re-use covered plastic dishes that contained Kool-Whip or chip dip. Use only bottles that originally held food or drink.

9. Make fire starters from Celotex ceiling tile cut into 1-inch squares and dipped in paraffin with a toothpick.

10. Get hot water by putting a black plastic bag partially filled with water inside another black plastic bag and leave them out in the sun. Tie the bag so water won’t run out. Put them on a flat rock or on aluminum foil.

11. Make a plastic tube tent from a 9’ x 12’ pieces of polyethylene transparent plastic duct-taped together on the 9’ edge. Tie a rope to trees and run through tent to hold it up. Note plastic thicker than 4 mill works better, less holes.

12. Emergency fire starter: binoculars pointed to the Sun with eyepiece focused on dry tinder. (This is why you’re not supposed to look at the Sun through binoculars…)

13. Emergency fire starter: 9-volt transistor battery touching steel wool of #00, #000 or (best) $0000 size. Put the steel wool under dry tinder.

14. Carry toilet paper in Ziplock plastic bag inside a Ziplock plastic bag. (You know it's going to be a bad day when the toilet paper gets wet.)

15. Use dental floss and big needle to repair anything you can sew.

16. Use Shoe-Goo from Wal-Mart shoe department to fix shoes and anything silicone glue could fix.

17. Use small glass mirror for emergency signal. Metal mirrors don’t work.

18. Emergency signal: wear a whistle, work out a code. Three blasts = emergency.

19. Put a plastic bag over your foot before you put a sock on to keep your foot warm.

20. Give everybody matching bright-colored baseball caps so you can count heads easily in a crowd.
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Melvin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:37 am

Ma3tt wrote:Home made fire pit using a propane tank.....

I'm going to have to give this a try, Are you cutting the tanks with a torch or some kind of saw?
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Robert Moore » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:16 am

Would it be possible to get the image of the fire pit propane tank put back on? I would like to see what it looks like so that I can make one.

Also, here is a link for some home made stoves/ovens.
http://wings.interfree.it/html/kayak.html

Thank you,
Robert Moore
Robert Moore
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Robert Moore » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:19 am

Never mind. The red x's are gone and pictures are where they go. My isp is acting weird.

Those look cool.
Robert Moore
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ma3tt » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:41 pm

I used a pnuematic cutting wheel. A torch would be much easier

Here is the lady that does em pro style http://www.shiningsungardenworks.com/metal_garden_art/outdoor_firepits.html
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby surveytech » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:19 pm

Matt,
thanks for the link.........those firepits are beautiful!
lots of inspiration there.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby tomkat6546 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:15 pm

For years I have used an empty film canister as a tooth brush cover. Simply cut a medium sized "X" in the lid, feed your tooth brush handle through the bottom of the lid until the lid almost touches the bristles and snap on the canister. When it's time to brush simply unsnap the lid, slide it about half way down the hande, and brush away!!!

9 out of 10 dentists recommend it!!!

Tom
tomkat6546
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:30 pm

tomkat6546 wrote:For years I have used an empty film canister as a tooth brush cover. Simply cut a medium sized "X" in the lid, feed your tooth brush handle through the bottom of the lid until the lid almost touches the bristles and snap on the canister. When it's time to brush simply unsnap the lid, slide it about half way down the hande, and brush away!!!

Tom

Yeah but what about the 10th one?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:17 pm

asianflava wrote:
tomkat6546 wrote:For years I have used an empty film canister as a tooth brush cover. Simply cut a medium sized "X" in the lid, feed your tooth brush handle through the bottom of the lid until the lid almost touches the bristles and snap on the canister. When it's time to brush simply unsnap the lid, slide it about half way down the hande, and brush away!!!

Tom

Yeah but what about the 10th one?

False teeth!!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets